Advise on battery charging - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Advise on battery charging

People, please help me find a decent solution. The following is the case.
My F4 is parked in an underground garage on a parking spot next to my car. I don't have any opportunity in charging the battery as there is no power nearby. I can't remove the battery either as the bike has an alarm which is in these circumstances mandatory by the insurance. Last winter this whole thing costed me a battery...

What ways would there be to still be able charge my battery once in a while. I am sure that some technical smart asses over here know what to do

What a beast of a motorcycle!
It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

Skye I miss you. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 05:30 PM

Erik, is there a window nearby? My friend trickle charges his dirtbike battery with a solar panel and plug. His is homemade but I believe they sell them ready for use now. I'm sure you can find something (with proper rating conversion) to hook up to your car battery as well. Just don't forget to unhook it before starting car.

2009 F4 RR 1078 312
2005 F4 Tamboweenie
2005 F4 1000S
1999 Aprilia RS50
1996 Ducati 916
1959 MV Agusta TREL 125 Centomila

PAST - 2013 F4RR, 2008 F4 312R, 2005 F4 1000S, 1999 F4 750 S
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 05:37 PM

New Site Garage
Im sure you can get a portable battery pack that charges cars. Use that for the bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
No window close by... But two good suggestions worth investigating!

It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 09:10 AM

Have same issue exactly. I did post same question on battery boosters some time ago.

So either a battery booster or
a similar to yr battery fully charged and cables to connect to bike. Like a slave battery but position far away to avoid sparks.

I went for the 2nd option (extra yuasa ytz10s) but havent used it yet.
For the booster scenario be careful with the current. Cable on bike from battery to socket under the seat can withstand only 1-2ampers. So booster can not be more than that otherwise it will fry the wire. I found a black and decker one with 7.5A power and exit current at 2a. Read the answers to my thread then as I have no clue on this stuff..

Last edited by PP1098; 11-24-2013 at 09:19 AM.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 09:31 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
This has me thinking ......your car is parked next to it?? The car battery is a large capacity battery being frequently refreshed when the car is driven.....

You could attach a SAE wiring connector on a long lead (standard battery tender type plug...or pick another of your choice) to the car battery. Plug it into your bike's battery charger connector when you park the car.

The larger battery will seek to equalize voltage with the smaller, affectively charging the bike battery.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 09:47 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
This has me thinking ......your car is parked next to it?? The car battery is a large capacity battery being frequently refreshed when the car is driven.....

You could attach a SAE wiring connector on a long lead (standard battery tender type plug...or pick another of your choice) to the car battery. Plug it into your bike's battery charger connector when you park the car.

The larger battery will seek to equalize voltage with the smaller, affectively charging the bike battery.
Genius

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 09:54 AM

what about buying a second battery and appropriate charger, charge one battery at home and keep one in the bike, change them over, say, once a week. that way you always have a fully charged battery in the bike
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 11:32 AM

Get an Odyssey agm or something similar. If you disconnect the battery over winter then it will retain it's charge for 2 years.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotojoe View Post
Get an Odyssey agm or something similar. If you disconnect the battery over winter then it will retain it's charge for 2 years.
And when it is connected? It needs to be connected because of the alarm...

And thx all for the suggestions. And few (stupid) questions from my side...
If I would use another battery to charge how does that work? Is the one with more power always charging the one with less power?

Any suggestions for such a booster?

I could indeed use the car battery, but I am hesitant as this might go wrong easily...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode