Brutale 1090RR Cam Chain Tensioner - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Brutale 1090RR Cam Chain Tensioner

37000km and I am up for another CCT (the spring loaded plunger assembly, not the guides). This will be the third.

The first one was jammed solid at 20,000km. Looked like sloppy workmanship. Disassembly showed that the little hole for the spring was too high, which allowed the spring to pop out the top. What was more concerning was that the housing was worn to the point that the plunger would bind up.
The second one has jammed solid too. The plunger would not move in any direction. No major wear in the housing or plunger, but if I rotate the plunger slightly, it jams.

All Brutales from 2010 use the same part which looks like the original F4 CCT that was prone to breakage around the pivot pin.

A couple of questions:
- Has anyone worked out if the later model F4 CCT will fit into the Brutale?
- Has anyone had similiar issues with the F4 CCT? At almost twice the price, I am presuming that it is made to tighter tolerances or simply costs more to make (or MV figures they can charge F4 owners more for basically the same thing )

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 05:06 PM

Who knows. There's no rime or reason for anything MV does. Don't know for certain about F4 to brutale fitment but can't see why not. To be sure there should be several threads found through the search function addressing various fitments for motors. The consensus seems to be most will swap right over, but double check the threads through a search just to be safe.

If need be i happen to have an updated CCT. Would be far less than any dealer would want. Or if you want to take a chance on having to do this job over again, or your motor blowing up, i do have a 1st gen CCT that you can have for the cost of shipping.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Can you PM me a price please. Postage to Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Postcode is 4073.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

In my garage: 2011 Brutale 1090RR, Triumph Street Triple R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 12:26 AM
cus

At the risk of asking a dumb question, shouldn`t warranty cover this assuming the replacements were done under warranty you should have two years on the new part and so on.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Warranty covers the first 2 years of the bike. Rather than stuff around waiting for an approval, I got the replacement cct from Andre and had it fitted in less than a week.
Parts don't have a 2 year warranty.

I have only taken the time to disassemble the first cct after the failure of the second.

Hopefully Varium and I can agree on a price and we will find out if the later type cct will fit the Brutale.
Wouldn't mind knowing if there have been other failures of this component.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

In my garage: 2011 Brutale 1090RR, Triumph Street Triple R
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhead1957 View Post
37000km and I am up for another CCT (the spring loaded plunger assembly, not the guides). This will be the third.

The first one was jammed solid at 20,000km. Looked like sloppy workmanship. Disassembly showed that the little hole for the spring was too high, which allowed the spring to pop out the top. What was more concerning was that the housing was worn to the point that the plunger would bind up.
The second one has jammed solid too. The plunger would not move in any direction. No major wear in the housing or plunger, but if I rotate the plunger slightly, it jams.

All Brutales from 2010 use the same part which looks like the original F4 CCT that was prone to breakage around the pivot pin.

A couple of questions:
- Has anyone worked out if the later model F4 CCT will fit into the Brutale?
- Has anyone had similiar issues with the F4 CCT? At almost twice the price, I am presuming that it is made to tighter tolerances or simply costs more to make (or MV figures they can charge F4 owners more for basically the same thing )

TIA
Have a look at Donsy's parts manuals and also Startwin trading site for cross check of part numbers across models.

joe
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Thx for that, I did the research of the parts manuals and on the forum for background info.
I didn't word that very well. Early F4's and all models of Brutales use 1 part number, later F4's use another.
Varium is sending me a later model F4 one, so I will post up the result when I get it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

Ok, just to finish this thread off, I received the cct from Varium this afternoon. Checked all dimensions and the only differences are that the plunger does not extend as far out as the original one, and the difference in the housing as has been discussed in other threads.

I can confirm that the cct fits into the 1090 motor without any modification required.

Now to pick up some new plugs and then time for a shakedown ride to confirm a nice quiet cam chain.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 04:58 AM

YOU are kidding John,shit mine is still going at 41,000 km,bloody hell what have they designed them out of.

sub grade metal
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 08:09 PM

Eddy, I recommend you change the cct before 97000km The manual says every 36000km along with the chain and guides. Based on my experience with the 750, I'll probably replace the lot in my 910 at 72000 unless I hear "noises" before that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode