Tire Touching Exhaust - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Tire Touching Exhaust

I got a nail in my tire and after removing the tire I noticed that there is a mark on the bottom exhaust muffler apparently from the tire rubbing up against it.

Full disclosure, I noticed that the tire had a "shiny" look to the edge shortly after having it installed a few months ago - and because when I looked, the tire wasn't touching the exhaust (though it was really close), I more or less let it go. Definitely my bad, and I should have investigated it more then.

So, I am wondering, is it possible to install wheel and/or exhaust in a way that would cause this? Now that I am taking the wheel off and on myself, I just want to make sure I do it right. Since this is the first time I have had it off myself, I don't know if the marks on the exhaust are new or have been there a while - but of course, the tire I know looks like it was rubbing and I hadn't noticed that on previous tires.

I had been using Bridgestone S20's but this last time I tried the Dunlop Q2 (and will be replacing it with the new Q3).

Any thoughts? Thanks.

FYI: In the photo, I am aware the bracket is upside down, I left one bolt in and rotated it out of the way to get off the wheel.
Attached Images

Chris
2008 Brutale 910R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 01:36 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
If you remount the exhaust with the hanger on the inside of the bracket vice the outside of the bracket, then the tire will rub on the exhaust. The exhaust hanger must be mounted to the outside of the bracket. It makes a gob of smoke if you happen to be following one in this condition...as I was.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
If you remount the exhaust with the hanger on the inside of the bracket vice the outside of the bracket, then the tire will rub on the exhaust. The exhaust hanger must be mounted to the outside of the bracket. It makes a gob of smoke if you happen to be following one in this condition...as I was.
Thanks for the reply, but I believe the bracket installed correctly (and it has been like this through three other rear tires without issue - which is why I'm stumped). Here's a photo:
Attached Images

Chris
2008 Brutale 910R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 07:03 PM

May I ask what size are you using? It could be the tire it self. Mounting could have deformed it that is why its rubbing against the exhaust.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gistavo View Post
May I ask what size are you using? It could be the tire it self. Mounting could have deformed it that is why its rubbing against the exhaust.
190/55ZR17 - which is what it is supposed to be. I am going to ask the shop when I take it in to get the new tire to see what they say since they mounted it and put it on the bike.

Chris
2008 Brutale 910R
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 07:43 PM

Just looked at my 910 and the brackets are the same as yours. I have about 10mm between the tyre and exhaust at the closest point. I'm running Pilot Road 3 190/55.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc_brutale View Post
190/55ZR17 - which is what it is supposed to be. I am going to ask the shop when I take it in to get the new tire to see what they say since they mounted it and put it on the bike.
That would be a good idea, but I think its within the mounting of the tire or wheel it self that caused the rubbing issue.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsawkins View Post
Just looked at my 910 and the brackets are the same as yours. I have about 10mm between the tyre and exhaust at the closest point. I'm running Pilot Road 3 190/55.
Thanks for measuring yours. Once I get the new tire on, I'll see what it looks like. I already have the wheel off, but when I looked prior to removal, I would have guessed my clearance was more like 5mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gistavo View Post
That would be a good idea, but I think its within the mounting of the tire or wheel it self that caused the rubbing issue.
I get what you're saying, but I don't know how it could've been done incorrectly. I've put over 3,000 miles on the tire and it certainly didn't effect the riding. Ugh... frustrating when the reason isn't obvious.

The only thing I can think is right after I got the new tire, I rode up to Noel's and he helped me get the tire off and put back on. Maybe something was wrong between picking it up at the dealer and driving to Noel's and then it has been okay since then?? I don't know, but when I get the tire mounted I'll see how it goes on and what kind of clearances there are.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Chris
2008 Brutale 910R
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
New tire on, plenty of clearance

I have the new tire on and there is about 10 mm of clearance.

I don't know why the previous tire was rubbing the exhaust, and I guess I will never know. I ended up going to a different shop to get the new tire because the original shop didn't get the tire in as promised on time and I wanted the bike for the weekend.

Oh well, one mystery not solved. At least it all looks good now.

By the way, love the Dunlop Q3 so far - can't wait to get it fully scrubbed in.

Chris
2008 Brutale 910R
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 12:53 PM

i had the same issue with a Pirreli Diablo Rosso II.
the tire had minimal clearance (less than 5 mm) and
was rubbing during riding.

in my opinion, the measure 190/55 is only an
approximate measure. the real numbers can vary
quite a lot from tire to tire.

what surprises me is that the Diablo Rosso II is actually
not allowed to be ridden on a brutale here in germany,
while the dunlop sportmax qualifier II is. so you may just
received a tire out of spec from the dealer.

i would just recommend to stay way from the tires you
had problems and stay with the tire, which works.

Last edited by firedancer; 11-25-2013 at 12:55 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode