Warning! - MVAgusta.net
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
theknurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Palos Verdes Est, SoCal, USA
Posts: 13,796
Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Exclamation Warning!

ANYTIME SOMEBODY TOUCHES YOUR HUB PINCH BOLTS CHECK THEIR WORK WITH YOUR TORQUE WRENCH......

last week one of the English Members on the Forum had his tires changed.....

he checked the torque......over 100lbft/133 Nm

he bought new hub bearings from me

I just bought a complete swing arm...

it took a 1/2" air impact to get the left pinch bolt out..
the right was partially stripped......a SnapOn impact driver finished stripping it......I was holding the impact driver with Channel Locks
so I wouldn't crush my hand if I missed, yes I was wailing on it with a brass hammer

day 2.... slotted the head down to the flange with an angle head grinder, cut the threads off a 12mm bolt and tapered it to fit
TIG welded both sides of the slot and all the way around the head

1/2" to 3/8" adapter on a 2' breaker bar, 21mm socket, the swing arm is clamped to my 3/4" reinforced steel jig table.....it's not going any where....I'm ~178lbs, I'm on one foot.....lets say I put 125 lbs on the bar, it felt like the adapter was letting go thats 250 lbft/338Nm

don't have the correct size 1/2" drive socket, got one from Mom's
house

I use a CP-734H it puts out 425 lbft, set ~35% the wheel nut takes 3-4 hits.......this took 8-10....so it was way, way over 240Nm

the bottom side of the head was stripped of plating and grooved by the alloy swingarm

I use 15lbft/20Nm......you use what you want....I worked in the Engineering Dept of HiShear Corp, an aerospace fastener company

I've sold 100's of hub bearing with ZERO reported failures

if you're smart you'll get a Mitch hub.......and torque it to 15lbft/20Nm......what, its going to move?????

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl

Last edited by theknurl; 10-23-2013 at 11:16 PM.
theknurl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 08:55 PM
Established Member
 
ericfreeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 227
Damn good reason to do all your own work and follow torque specs religiously. I've seen guys using click-type torque wrenches as ratchets just because they couldn't find a real ratchet! Guess who never borrows tools after seeing that?

Eric
ericfreeman is offline  
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 09:29 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor
 
mitchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gold Coast, Australia.
Posts: 4,950
New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Shit Noel thats incrediable,I must say the threads are good in the swingarm to take that sort of torque.Imagine the poor 3810 hub bearing it must of felt like it was being choked to death.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
mitchy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 04:12 AM
Senior Member
 
gotojoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bellanagare, West Ireland 44 7875 299281
Posts: 9,930
Kinda worrying ...Mechanics isn't everybody's cup of Earl Grey...so I feel for those guys who entrust the work to a professional and it isn't done right.

Checking the torque after work is done..:-

This must mean slackening off the pinch bolts again. I would do this evenly as poss in increments ie don't undo one fully and the the other as this will cause an excessive pinch on the still tightened side. Then re torque carefully again evenly in stages.

I don't know how you check the torque of a tightened bolt wiothout undoing it as when we do em up isn't it a dynamic torque and if you are checking with a torque wrench an already set bolt aren't you then measuring static torque ..a diifferent baby. So it isn't simply a matter of setting the correct torque on your wrench and then seeing where it clicks.

I guess one way would be to mark the bolt and swing arm with a reference datum and then do the loosening and re-torquing procedure. Then you could see if there is a large angular difference as a before and after.

If the bolts were over torqued then for peace of mind the 2rs ball bearing wheel side should be replaced..? That's how I see it .

Clearly the pinch bolts Noel is talking about are off the scale
gotojoe is offline  
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 05:40 AM
Senior Member
 
jimboF4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: North Somerset, England
Posts: 1,511
Noel that's pretty scary stuff, I do all my own spannering, have done for many years because of experience and tales like this. I agree with Joe, mechanics is not for everyone, but simple stuff like chain adjustment and wheel removal is very basic stuff.
If a new owner can't get to grips with this simple stuff maybe bikes are not for them.

jimboF4
jimboF4 is offline  
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Established Member
 
MVAGOGO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: west yorkshire
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
ANYTIME SOMEBODY TOUCHES YOUR HUB PINCH BOLTS CHECK THEIR WORK WITH YOUR TORQUE WRENCH......

last week one of the English Members on the Forum had his tires changed.....

he checked the torque......over 100lbft/133 Nm

he bought new hub bearings from me

I just bought a complete swing arm...

it took a 1/2" air impact to get the left pinch bolt out..
the right was partially stripped......a SnapOn impact driver finished stripping it......I was holding the impact driver with Channel Locks
so I wouldn't crush my hand if I missed, yes I was wailing on it with a brass hammer

day 2.... slotted the head down to the flange with an angle head grinder, cut the threads off a 12mm bolt and tapered it to fit
TIG welded both sides of the slot and all the way around the head

1/2" to 3/8" adapter on a 2' breaker bar, 21mm socket, the swing arm is clamped to my 3/4" reinforced steel jig table.....it's not going any where....I'm ~178lbs, I'm on one foot.....lets say I put 125 lbs on the bar, it felt like the adapter was letting go thats 250 lbft/338Nm

don't have the correct size 1/2" drive socket, got one from Mom's
house

I use a CP-734H it puts out 425 lbft, set ~35% the wheel nut takes 3-4 hits.......this took 8-10....so it was way, way over 240Nm

the bottom side of the head was stripped of plating and grooved by the alloy swingarm

I use 15lbft/20Nm......you use what you want....I worked in the Engineering Dept of HiShear Corp, an aerospace fastener company

I've sold 100's of hub bearing with ZERO reported failures

if you're smart you'll get a Mitch hub.......and torque it to 15lbft/20Nm......what, its going to move?????
Same happened to me, had the bike serviced told the dealer not to touch the chain, when i get the bike home the chain was as tight as a guitar string i had to nearly put the breaker bar on the pinch bolts to undo them. Hubb failed 350 miles later....


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KLEIN
XTZ 1200
1078RR
MVAGOGO is offline  
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 11:26 PM
Senior Member
 
crash2much's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Escondido
Posts: 1,147
Haha Noel. This is sooo bad, I actually find it funny....

But I'm not really surprised. The shit we see come in our shop - it's awesome. You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you.

Sometimes we are basically rolling on the floor in hysteria.....

Young Marines come in telling us they know how to work on bikes because they are helicopter mechanics. That ALWAYS is a big red flag!!!

For some reason, helicopter mechanics are the worst. Don't know why.
All I know, I don't ever want to fly in a military helicopter...
crash2much is offline  
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 11:48 PM
Cyber SPOTTER
 
MVista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Australia, NSW
Posts: 6,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash2much View Post
Haha Noel. This is sooo bad, I actually find it funny....



But I'm not really surprised. The shit we see come in our shop - it's awesome. You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you.



Sometimes we are basically rolling on the floor in hysteria.....



Young Marines come in telling us they know how to work on bikes because they are helicopter mechanics. That ALWAYS is a big red flag!!!



For some reason, helicopter mechanics are the worst. Don't know why.

All I know, I don't ever want to fly in a military helicopter.
..


Awww come on Balz, you can't tease us like that - you have to tell us some stories.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVA - Maserati Vespa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Agusta
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVista is offline  
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 03:25 AM
Senior Member
 
quad-turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Italia
Posts: 4,296
and speaking of torque wrenches....I loaned mine to a mate doing some work on his race bike......some arsehole broke in to his shed the other night when he was at work and nicked all his tools (and my wrench)

ORBIS NON SUFFICIT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
quad-turbo is offline  
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 11:36 AM
Senior Member
 
crash2much's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Escondido
Posts: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVista View Post


Awww come on Balz, you can't tease us like that - you have to tell us some stories.
Where do I begin?? How about this just for a start?
Nice footpeg set-up. This bike is at our shop now. You don't even want to see the rest of this Ducati 749....
Attached Images
  
crash2much is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome