Latch relay/Dashboard fuse blowing on 02 750 (while running) - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Stewart
Latch relay/Dashboard fuse blowing on 02 750 (while running)

Its not an epidemic yet but I am trying to figure out why I am blowing the 7.5amp fuse on my bike. It happened once ages ago but it was the original fuse and I figured the heat cycling and whatnot might have gotten to it (when it was blown I got stuck in a surprise backup from a wreck so the bike was hot).

Well a month ago it popped again. After about 2 hours of riding, let it sit for an hour, then started it up and rode away. Accelerating down the main road the whole bike goes dead. Swap the fuse and roll away.

Then comes today, it popped this morning under load going down a parkway. Coast to a side road and swap the fuse. In this instance I only had a 10 (thought I replaced the 7.5, I will admit the 10amp is old as well) but put it in and finished the journey. This afternoon I fire the bike up and let her warm up while getting ready. Ride out of the lot and while accelerating to the intersection it pops again. Swap out the fuse and it runs the rest of the way home.

Im not seeing any big draws when looking. Its probably not the diode since that appears to be an issue with even starting the bike (and the battery hasn't been removed in ages).

I cant imagine any big draws. I do have HID headlights but the draw on that kit is actually less than the 55w bulb it replaced. I also have the spyball alarm. I know people dog alarms here but it was always the datatool. I checked the alarm and it still barely registers on the multimeter. Its like .02 amps even when its armed.

RIght now its not enough to scare me off of the bike but this morning I was at speed and with vehicles around and it sucks because that one 7.5 amp fuse might as well be the main ignition fuse from the battery since it disables every electrical component on the whole bike. Cant even put the signal on and no lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 07:50 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
A long shot, Ryan, but check the area where the tail light feed passes through the seat bracket under your seat. There have been some reported issues of the wiring wearing through at this point and shorting out.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 07:51 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Maybe your latch relay needs to be replaced if that's the fuse that's blowing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Ok, thanks.

Ill look for any wiring shorts around that area. I think its all pretty clear but you never know.

Regarding the latch relay, can anyone confirm the part number? Its kind of an expensive relay and I dont want to waste money on it. Im guessing on 800090190 or 800094116 but both just show as "relay" with no real description on what it could be. Its the relay under the seat correct?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
A long shot, Ryan, but check the area where the tail light feed passes through the seat bracket under your seat. There have been some reported issues of the wiring wearing through at this point and shorting out.
Ive got relays on the way (FexEx required signature last night , Im starting to develop a hatred because they tried to deliver it to my house today and still wouldnt leave it behind. Although Ill blame pro-italia for sending it direct signature required). However, I think I have another lead along this path. The wiring is running clearly under the seat bracket BUT the part where it goes into the back of the light could also be the source. The socket works itself loose and it looks like the wiring has been bitten once or twice by the seat release mechanism.

Its beat up enough that tonight Im going to strip it all and directly wiring the tail light (LED tail so its got internal wiring) and make sure its all tucked to be as far from that damned release latch as possible.

Same fuse popped twice on the ride in this morning. Once at a light and once while under brisk acceleration in 2nd gear. That is the dangerous one, I go from a loaded back tire to a loaded front tire unexpectedly. I guess possibly while under load my weight is pushing the seat just enough to get that wiring to dig into that mechanism.

The only thing that makes me pessmiistic is, according to the diagrams, the only things that should be powered by that fuse are the cluster and latch relay. It looks like the "stop light" has its own fuse.

Last edited by Ryan Stewart; 09-26-2013 at 02:37 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Soo, I found a pinched turn signal wire. I replaced the wire and rode it last evening with no trouble (but wont know for sure for a while since it was intermittent.

But it could have also been in a position that the added load of my butt under hard acceleration could have resulted in shorting that wire out. The thing I wouldn't get is how it could kill the bike like that but I guess there is the route through the dash for the indicator and maybe that is how its making its way to the fuse.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode