Alternator Concerns - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Alternator Concerns

I have had the bike in and out of the shop for over a year now. Several mechanics have said the alternator is the problem that is causing the power to cut on and off during riding, and even at idle. The voltage with the original alternator there were spikes showing over 60 volts. I replaced that alternator with a used own which I had purchased from ebay. Now the readings spike as hi as 16 and once hit 18. I am getting so frustrated and have spent so much money on this bike. I love the F4 but I am about to give up. Does anyone have any answers to what else this might be?! This is killing me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 07:56 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
I'm not sure 16 volts is something to worry about, but I think 18 is. The alternator has an internal regulator. The alternator man is Jason Chapin. He's had his in and out dozens of times. Send him a pm, perhaps he might have some ideas.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 12:49 AM

New Site Garage
Your message sounds a bit confusing, you mention power cutting in and out, by this I take it the bike randomly turns itself off or dies, cut's out right ?

When it cuts out, does the dash go dead too ? How do you restart the bike, I mean what do you have to do to get it going again ?
Have you had to replace any blown fuses ?

Sorry about all the questions, but in all honesty, I can't see a alternator problem letting the bike cut out like that without causing other problems too.

Have you checked things like wiring connections and side-stand switch etc ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thank you guys, Donsy, I got a new throttle position sensor, injectors, fuel pump. filter, and neutral switch as the first mechanic told me he thought it was fueling. Which was bullshit. depending on the situation the battery light would flicker on and off usually more after I would rev the engine ( as the rpms decreased) . It does not want to idle it stalls out. The fuses would blow and I have replaced them i bought a battery last year and i had to be another this year. I just replaced the alternator with another used one from ebay and still having the same effect, however the spikes do not seem to be as great.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 07:00 PM

You're going to need to start chasing wires down and looking for failed insulation and or wear marks. Yep, that means pulling back all the sheathing/wrapping. While at it double check all connections for corrosion. Its all but impossible to properly diagnose an electrical problem over the net but it sure sounds like a grounding/shorting out issue based on what you've reported. Also, don't forget to check your CPS to be in spec and wiring to be ok.

Could be an off chance you got another bad stator/alternator. Its easy to rule out if you just take it to a shop that rebuilds them who would have the equipment to bench test the unit by itself. Most would do it for free, but even if they don't it shouldn't cost very much.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 08:48 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by varium View Post
You're going to need to start chasing wires down and looking for failed insulation and or wear marks. Yep, that means pulling back all the sheathing/wrapping. While at it double check all connections for corrosion. Its all but impossible to properly diagnose an electrical problem over the net but it sure sounds like a grounding/shorting out issue based on what you've reported. Also, don't forget to check your CPS to be in spec and wiring to be ok.

Could be an off chance you got another bad stator/alternator. Its easy to rule out if you just take it to a shop that rebuilds them who would have the equipment to bench test the unit by itself. Most would do it for free, but even if they don't it shouldn't cost very much.
+10.....
off to the alternator shop you go

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode