F4 brake lights - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Banned

F4 brake lights

Just ran into this today with my F4. Went out for a ride and halfway in the ride the brake lights stopped working. Pulled over to change the bulb and the bulb is fine and the light is working with the tail up. Put the tail back down and the bulb does not work. Hmmm.... Interesting.....

The wiring harness for the tail light assembly was pressing against the locking bracket and causing a loss of connection when the tail was locked. I resolved this by moving the slack in the cable away from the bulb holder and further down the end of the cable so the wiring would not rub against the bracket. I may eventually replace the whole cable assembly and bulb holder if it becomes problematic again.

It was somewhat obvious what was happening but I thought it was kind of interesting and might save someone some frustration and a trip to the mechanic if they were having a not so great day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 03:00 PM

New Site Garage
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Stewart
I need to improve upon the design on mine. The bulb base works itself loose and then the ground wire rubs on that bracket, pinching it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Stewart View Post
I need to improve upon the design on mine. The bulb base works itself loose and then the ground wire rubs on that bracket, pinching it.
Yeah. That's pretty much exactly what mine was doing. When the tail was down there were no brake lights. Tail back up it was fine. It was kind of strange. When I removed the slack by moving the rubber grommets on the wire it was fine. If it continues to give me issues I may get in contact with Carl and buy a new wire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 03:52 PM

New Site Garage
Just go to home depot/radio shack and make your own. You can get stranded copper there in 18 gauge and solder it into the bases and re-run it in a way that if the base were to collide with the mount the wires wouldn't be in a place to be pinched.

That is what I am planning to do with mine, I just haven't taken the time.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Just go to home depot/radio shack and make your own. You can get stranded copper there in 18 gauge and solder it into the bases and re-run it in a way that if the base were to collide with the mount the wires wouldn't be in a place to be pinched.

That is what I am planning to do with mine, I just haven't taken the time.
Not real big on making modifications like that. I would rather the factory wiring harness. Even if I have to order one new I don't mind paying the price. Time is money they say.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 12:07 PM

New Site Garage
I guess, its like 15 minutes worth of work if you have any talent and it would be superior the factory wiring harness because the placement of the wiring puts it in a place of risk.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
I guess, its like 15 minutes worth of work if you have any talent and it would be superior the factory wiring harness because the placement of the wiring puts it in a place of risk.
If you are comfortable with that on your bike more power to you Ryan. For me my bike is special to me and It's not acceptable to have cobbled together non factory standard wiring on mine. As well the original connector on the bike is going on 11 years old. If I have to replace a factory wiring connector every 11 years I'm completely ok with that. It takes about 2 seconds to change out.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 12:46 PM

New Site Garage
Ha. "Cobbled together" isn't what I do. My OCD doesn't allow for it.

But hey its your money. If you want to buy a new harness so you can feel better that your bike is 100% original parts (is it?) then its up to you. I'm just suggesting an alternative where any person skilled with solder and heat shrink can solve the underlying problem.

But I can understand that many people just don't have the acumen, even then I would suggest you hit up a fabricator that can. In this instance it makes sense, the Mitchy hub, Joes support for the radiator, etc. As for the "time is money" you could correct the problem faster than replacing the parts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Ha. "Cobbled together" isn't what I do. My OCD doesn't allow for it.

But hey its your money. If you want to buy a new harness so you can feel better that your bike is 100% original parts (is it?) then its up to you. I'm just suggesting an alternative where any person skilled with solder and heat shrink can solve the underlying problem.

But I can understand that many people just don't have the acumen, even then I would suggest you hit up a fabricator that can. In this instance it makes sense, the Mitchy hub, Joes support for the radiator, etc. As for the "time is money" you could correct the problem faster than replacing the parts.
I share the same level of OCD.

Certainly on parts where there's the potential of a huge catastrophic failure I'm willing to go beyond the factory stuff and do a modification. The plastic heater core in my Range Rover is a great example. After dealing with several units and their leaking O rings all over my $700 custom made wool floor mats I had the whole core removed and replaced with a solid copper core. The leaking was annoying but the prospect of overheating and taking out the engine is why I modified.

The tail light wiring is a bad design but replacing a factory wire every 11 or so years is not that big a deal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode