Removing alternator/dropping the motor - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Removing alternator/dropping the motor

Hi folks
I've gotta take out my faulty alternator from my Brutale 910S. I've read the posts about doing it without dropping the motor and I'll give that a go. But if I run into trouble I may have to partly drop the motor.

Donsy posted a few months ago about this. He mentioned loosening/take out the frame plate bolts and wedging the frame apart. I'm not sure what he meant by frame plate bolts?

Also, is there a thread/s that describes step by step how to drop the motor so I can get unrestricted access to the alternator? I've gone thru the manuals but can't see anything obvious?

Any help much appreciated, cheers Claudio

Brutale 910S 2006, KTM SMT 990 2010, Suzuki V-Strom DL650A ABS (ex BMW R1150RT 2002)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 07:58 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
The frame plate bolts are the bolts that go through the frame, the midframe plates, and the engine. It is one bolt located behind the alternator. There is another bolt holding the engine to the mid frame plate at the back of the motor behind the gear box. Then the two on either side of the cylinder head.

I find the easiest way to do it is to loosen the cylinder head bolts but not remove them. I put a little upward pressure on the engine with a floor jack. Remove the long bolt behind the alternator, and the one at the bottom/back of the engine. Lower the floor jack and the back of the engine should rotate downward.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 12:54 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up

save yourself a lot of trouble....

X81, Chris's way;
"Removing the starter motor gives more room to the left of the generator and you don't even need to undo the main cable.

Then unbolt the gennie, undo all plugs leads etc and then twist it out and round at a sort of upward left diagonal direction and hey presto it all comes out, no cutting, no damage and no alterations to the bike.

Each to their own of course but i've done loads like this over the years, every time the start clutch shits itself (lots in racing) you have to go through this process."

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Last edited by theknurl; 07-17-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 01:25 PM

normally, removing the alternator should be very
simple:

disconnect your battery. remove the fuel tank. loosen the bolts
of the alternator. push the restraining bracket up (you may need to loosen a frame bolt for this), remove the electric cables from alternator
and wiggle the the alternator out. removing the starter motor in
addition can give you more space.

all the problems appear to my knowledge just for the 1078.
so you should be fine with a 910.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedancer View Post
normally, removing the alternator should be very
simple:

disconnect your battery. remove the fuel tank. loosen the bolts
of the alternator. push the restraining bracket up (you may need to loosen a frame bolt for this), remove the electric cables from alternator
and wiggle the the alternator out. removing the starter motor in
addition can give you more space.

all the problems appear to my knowledge just for the 1078.
so you should be fine with a 910.
I've tried this method on my Brutale 910R without success. I had to lower the engine from the frame to be able to remove the alternator without damaging anything else on the bike.
I really tried as there's no fun in dropping the engine down but couldn't do it. Took the starter motor out before that but the frame it's in the way by a few mm.
Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures to show that.
And even if by miracle you are able to take out the alternator this way, I believe it's even more difficult to put it back in like that.
Good luck for those trying.

Laur.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 08:55 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
I'll check which manual has a bit more of a breakdown Claudio, but this might help, remember to remove the starter motor first.
Please feel free to ring me or email me, I post very little lately, far to busy at the moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurtm1 View Post
I've tried this method on my Brutale 910R without success. I had to lower the engine from the frame to be able to remove the alternator without damaging anything else on the bike.
I really tried as there's no fun in dropping the engine down but couldn't do it. Took the starter motor out before that but the frame it's in the way by a few mm.
Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures to show that.
And even if by miracle you are able to take out the alternator this way, I believe it's even more difficult to put it back in like that.
Good luck for those trying.

Laur.
I got it out, twice, without dropping the motor.
Attached Images

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

struck out - still no luck getting alternator out

Thanks everyone for your insights/suggestions. Very much appreciated.

I'm presently sitting with my 910S in front of me but still not able to get that damned alternator out. To summarise, I've got the bike on front and rear stands plus the middle/rear frame suspended with ratchet strap and hydraulic jacks under the motor to take the weight slightly. I've taken the starter motor out and initially loosened the frame plate bolts (1)(2) and (4). Tried wedging as per Donsy's post but I must be missing something because not sure what I'm wedging and in any case got no movement between motor and frame. I tried but no luck with getting alternator out as per X81 Chris' way.

Then I followed CAG Carls' suggestion and took out completely the bolt (2) behind the alternator and bolt (3) at bottom of engine behind the gearbox. Bolts (1) were loosened and still in position. I lowered the engine jacks, nudged and jiggled motor/frame, but the back of the engine didn't rotate downwards and still no luck jiggling the alternator out.

At that point I raised the engine slightly on jacks and removed completely the bolts (1) from either side of cylinder heads and then lowered jacks. Engine dropped slightly but not enough to make a difference for getting the alternator out.

Looks like I'm in the same place as Laurtm1. I think I'll call it a night and sleep on it

cheers, Claudio

Brutale 910S 2006, KTM SMT 990 2010, Suzuki V-Strom DL650A ABS (ex BMW R1150RT 2002)

Last edited by claudiop; 07-19-2013 at 07:26 AM.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 05:23 AM

New Site Garage
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiop View Post
Thanks everyone for your insights/suggestions. Very much appreciated.

I've taken the starter motor out and initially loosened the frame plate bolts (1)(2) and (3). Tried wedging as per Donsy's post but I must be missing something because not sure what I'm wedging and in any case got no movement between motor and frame. I tried but no luck with getting alternator out as per X81 Chris' way.

Then I followed CAG Charles' suggestion and took out completely the bolt (2) behind the alternator and bolt (3) at bottom of engine behind the gearbox. I lowered the engine jacks, nudged and jiggled motor/frame, but the back of the engine didn't rotate downwards and still no luck jiggling the alternator out.
If you did not undo bolt #4 as I indicated, the frame won't open mate. 1, 2 and 4. The frame plate bolts are 2, 3, and 4.
Does the alternator move at all ?

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

Last edited by Donsy; 07-18-2013 at 05:26 AM.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Donsy, yep my mistake and i've edited the previous post. I loosend bolt #4 both sides but didn't take them out. I subsequently took out 2 and 3.

Should I take both sides 4 out completely? Tomorrow I'll also try taking away the ratchet strap to see what happens with the motor/frame

The alternator comes out just past the O rings but not enough when angled/jiggled to get the last couple of mms

The motor has dropped marginally towards the front but not the back. I can see the cyclinder head thread has dropped a bit against the bolt #1 holes

Last edited by claudiop; 07-18-2013 at 06:43 AM.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 06:44 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiop View Post
Donsy, yep my mistake and i've edited the previous post. I loosend bolt #4 both sides but didn't take them out. I subsequently took out 2 and 3.

Should I take both sides 4 out completely?

The alternator comes out just past the O rings but not enough when angled/jiggled to get the last couple of mms

The motor has dropped marginally towards the front but not the back. I can see the cyclinder head thread has dropped a bit against the bolt #1 holes
Okay this is complicated to do over the NET Claudio.
What I would do is lift the front end and frame, phew, bolt's 1, 2 and 3 has to come out, 4 stays put.

Sorry, I have to see how you have the bike suspended again.

Guys how much do you drop the rear of the motor when you removed you alternator ? Or do you lift the front end instead ?

Carl's way of removing bolt 2 and 3 seems like a plan also. Remember to loosen exhaust brackets.

Looks like you might have 2 choices.
Jeepers, makes me feel so bloody helpless .

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in