Rear hub bearings failure - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Rear hub bearings failure

3810 2rs failed, aluminium ground away just a bit higher than circlip .
The rear brake holding assembly is free but won't come off.
Hard to tell where the hub ends and bearing begins because of damage.
Surely the brake assembly should be able to be removed, without
having to take bearing out first ? I guess I may need a new hub?
Hub with bearings from Italian website:-) £ 420 ex pp
Is this expensive? This is my first go at mechanic in.
Nearest mv dealer 300 mile round trip. Local rice burner hospitals
don't want to know.
No torque wrench, will marking hub pinch bolts be sufficient ?
Help appreciated ! And hello all, from the emerald isle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 08:08 AM
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS

Advert Pulled...

EMAIL :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JDS; 07-05-2013 at 11:25 AM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 09:26 AM

New Site Garage
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...ghlight=Mitchy

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
sicsinik469...go buy a decent torque wrench. You will find plenty of excuses to put it to use. Try a pawn shop for a possible good deal (I presume they have those in your land?).

Lot's of discussions on the rear hub on the forum. Search is your friend.

The Mitchy Hub is the answer if you want a more reliable part, but the updated MV hubs are better than the original.

Watch your chain tension!!! Overly tight drive chains are as damaging as overly tight pinch bolts.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Hi something esque,
Sorry bout your name, seems hard to get back into previous screen, usually servers seem to think I'm a mobile phone.
Yeah I'll hit the local pawn shop. Yeah downloaded manual ,but hub section not much..
Well update on today in unusually glorious sunshine. Filing a burr on the right hub, got the bracket assembly off.
And eventually bearings out. Decided to go with the hub I got. Bearing surfaces seem good.
And still enough metal to hold the brake assembly circlip on. I guess while its in bits renewing both bearings is prudent.
Single sided swing arm begs the questions, form over function ? Yeah I know looks pretty cool!
Seems no prob on the 800 vtec! Went to the forum take back wheel off , me always looking for a short cut.
Forum says undo nut wheel falls off. What am I doin wrong ! 55 mm and 3/4 adapter= €45 later wheel undone.
Moving pillion pegs and exhaust and bingo ! What's with the design , too much spaghetti ?
By the way the closed bearing lasted 7000 miles. No sign of rust or heat, no warning, pulled in from 90mph
thinking I got a flat. Well I've learnt something today from joining up, I'm not alone and mv hubs need careful attention,

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 10:11 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink ?

sicsinik469;
check your PMs

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 01:16 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Toss the hub in the bin,any damage to it is not worth the risk,but it's your call.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 01:56 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
Toss the hub in the bin,any damage to it is not worth the risk,but it's your call.
+1

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 02:57 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Noel,what I am thinking is,due to the crappy bearing failure the heat generated as the disc carrier is grinding the edge of the hub and machining it away could make the housing "soft" like an overheated alloy cylinder head,therefore the pinch bolts,chain tension would have more affect on the hub.If it was me I would throw the hub like a shotput into the nearest river and give the fish somewere to live lol

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 05:32 AM

Do yourself a favor and get a new torque wrench, not a used one. Used torque wrenches can be out of calibration and foul your whole job. Previous owners could have (probably did) drop it once or twice and that's all it takes .

"When the people fear their government there is tyranny,when the government fears the people there is liberty. My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government"--Thomas Jefferson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode