Bike won't start after changing out fuel line quick connectors - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Bike won't start after changing out fuel line quick connectors

Hi Folks, hopefully someone may be able to help me. While doing an oil and coolent change on my 2005 F1000, I noticed that one of the plastic fuel line connectors was leaking. Knowing about these same failures on my other bike (BMW K1300s), I decided to go and purchase some steel connectors, which I duly fitted. After reconnecting everything, I cranked the bike over, but it wouldn't start. There is definately fuel going to the injector rail (when I remove the quick connectors, there is fuel in the both the in and out lines (what was the black and white connectors) as well as in the rail. I was careful to mark the rail black and white (black being on the left side of the rail going to the outlet of the fuel pump base, and white being on the right side of the rails, and going the the inlet of the fuel pump base), so I'm confident I hooked the lines back up as they should be. The bike cranks over and over, and shows absolutely no signs of firing, Do I need to bleed air or anything out of the injector system? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 10:19 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink

where did you get the metal quick disconnects?
if they aren't from Carl (CAG) you probably got Chinese copies of the CPC ones that Carl sells

doesn't matter how you hook the lines up.....the fuel either goes right to left or left to right in the fuel rail

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl

Last edited by theknurl; 07-03-2013 at 10:22 PM.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 10:22 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Did you reconnect the multi plug for the fuel pump?

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 10:47 PM

Have a look inside the tank and make sure a hose hasn't popped off the pump. have a look inside the tank while the pump is priming, if there's bubbles or waves, its likely a hose has come off.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 11:06 PM

New Site Garage
Disconnect the line ,which is marked for pressure, on the fuel rail.
When you crank the bike you should have fuel pump out, just poke the end into a bottle so you don't spray fuel all over the place. My guess is your fittings are not opening.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 12:17 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Disconnect the line ,which is marked for pressure, on the fuel rail.
When you crank the bike you should have fuel pump out, just poke the end into a bottle so you don't spray fuel all over the place. My guess is your fittings are not opening.
there is no line marked "pressure" on the pump or fuel rail

pump output is the black female fitting

with the pump out and the non valved John Guests disconnected how much fuel is there to "spray all over the place"?

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 12:31 AM

New Site Garage
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
there is no line marked "pressure" on the pump or fuel rail

pump output is the black female fitting

with the pump out and the non valved John Guests disconnected how much fuel is there to "spray all over the place"?
Okay, I'll spell it out for you. The line market "OUT" on the fuel pump.
I did not mention anything about removing the pump,, I'm refering to fuel being pumped out of the tank.

And then I just assumed the gent had the same JG fuel rail fittings that I have, and they don't have a shut off valve in them, neither the grey or the black one's.

Hope that makes sence.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Last edited by Donsy; 07-04-2013 at 04:25 AM.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

I bought the metal connectors from the local Triumph shop, they are genuine Triumph parts. I'll try out a few of the things that have been suggested later in the day, and report back. Thanks for everyones suggestions
Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
where did you get the metal quick disconnects?
if they aren't from Carl (CAG) you probably got Chinese copies of the CPC ones that Carl sells

doesn't matter how you hook the lines up.....the fuel either goes right to left or left to right in the fuel rail
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 07:32 AM

If you changed the male plastic plug to a metal one, but did not change the female half on the pump assembly plate then you could have mismatching parts that connect ok, but does not open the valve in the female half, or does not open it far enough, so the line floods but pressure is inadequate.

Si
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

The connectors that the Triumph dealer sold me comprised of metal male connectors, and the ones that go in to the tank were plastic ones, which kind of defeated the purpose to a degree as I wanted all metal, but in my quest to get the bike ready for a track day this coming Saturday, I fitted the new plastic connectors to the tank. I' ve had the connectors in and out, connected both the male and female together and blew through them to make sure that they were free and clear (they appear OK, but you may still be right about not enough flow getting past?). I have a set of all metal connectors coming from Dallas on Friday (I hope), so I'll fit them. Getting the old plastic connectors out of the base plate was a real PITA! They both sheared off, requiring me to use an easy out to back them out of the aluminium plate. On the black fitting (pressure), it ended up pushing a bit of the plastic float into the chamber (that in itself shouldn't have been a problem, even if I hadn't noticed and removed it), becuase as far as I see, the pressure is held there unless the line over-pressures in which case the relief valve would open. I've had the fuel pump in and out several times yesterday, checking fittings and making sure everything was clear (which it appeared to be). I think all I'm going to do today, while I wait for the new "all metal" connectors to arrive, is to take the air box off, and put a teaspoon of fuel in to the stacks, to see if the bike will at least fire momentarily to confirm there is not some other issue causing the problem. If all is well, and the bike fires, I'll do as suggested tomorrow, connecting everything up, leaving the black connection from the fuel rail dissconnected while turning the bike over, and see if fuel comes out? Ohh....the joys! Thanks for everyones suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatWhisperer View Post
If you changed the male plastic plug to a metal one, but did not change the female half on the pump assembly plate then you could have mismatching parts that connect ok, but does not open the valve in the female half, or does not open it far enough, so the line floods but pressure is inadequate.

Si

Last edited by Thehighlander; 07-04-2013 at 08:50 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode