egr should it be blocked - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

egr should it be blocked

ok,this is my view,took the bike for a dyno today,but could not do it as my race ecu was damaged by me,the pc5 could not change the air and fuel mix because I reversed the pos and neg wires using the vdsts software,this shorted out my pc5 ,had to buy a new one ,but thought the ecu was fine,well no it must of done some damage to that also,as we were getting figures of -63 in the mid section of the map.

so went home and got my standard ecu ,plugged that in and then the figures where fine. around -15 to + 10 in the cells even up to 30 either way is fine.

now my question is why is there a need to block of the egr hose,I feel this is not correct ,as it is ment to burn exessive fuel left behind.He put a marble in the hose to block it. what are your thoughts? The bike is popping on decal,so i will pull that marble out and see what happens.

cheers eddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 04:15 PM

What configuration are you running now? Std ecu plus pc5 and no cat?
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 06:14 PM
SAB

If the egr system is what I think it is (the secondary air pump that burns off excess fuel in the exhaust before it exits the pipes) then it gives a far more accurate a/f reading if there isn't a secondary system pumping fresh air into the exhaust. Any good tuner should know that and take steps to pinch or block off that hose before doing any tuning or dyno pulls.

"If I'd never thrown my leg over a bike, I'd never have lived." - Hislop

Last edited by SAB; 06-29-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB View Post
If the egr system is what I think it is (the secondary air pump that burns off excess fuel in the exhaust before it exits the pipes) then it gives a far more accurate a/f reading if there isn't a secondary system pumping fresh air into the exhaust. Any good tuner should know that and take steps to pinch or block off that hose before doing any tuning or dyno pulls.
Agree!
A real EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) routes a portion of exhaust gases back into the airbox for mixing with the intake charge.
I think you're referring to the fresh air injection into the exhaust, (Yamaha calls it AIS, Suzuki calls it PAIR) whatever it's called by the manufacturer, it puts fresh air into the exhaust to supposedly reignite unburnt fuel to reduce emissions.
Personally I think it's genius! If you pump clean air into the exhaust stream you'll undoubtedly have cleaner air exiting the pipe, regardless if any additional fuel is ignited or not.

In the case of tuning the fueling, if this system is not somehow disabled, you'll get a skewed air/fuel ratio reading.
In this case the tune will be richer than desired because of the added fresh air.

Hope that wasn't too long of an answer.

2018 Husky 701 Supermoto
2018 Aprilia Tuono 1100
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

ok ,currently running std ecu,pc5, and decate,with o2 optimizer plugged in for the 20% area, this is until i pick up another race ecu. so i am going to take out the marble he put in the egr pipe to stop the air.

but my real bug bearer is why i am getting popping and backfire on decel.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 02:57 AM

Can you tell if it is a lean type bang or a rich plop noise Eddy? Sorry but that's the only way I can describe it...
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

John,I think it is to rich,who knows,never used to do it before,but then again have fitted new throttle bodys,all synced again ,will have to wait until i can source another race ecu,and dyno it again, but i have new sensors on the way,also might have to look at the valves,well at least i just about know every inch of this bike lol.

cheers eddy
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 10:17 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
After fire (what you are describing) is unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust....this is ONE of the purposes of the second air system. The other is to help heat up the catalytic converter for better efficiency.

Some EFI systems control a solenoid that opens and closes the second air system...don't think MV does but not sure about later models. Reed valves in the valve cover only allow air flow when there is negative pressure in the head pipe (decel?).

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)

Last edited by esq'z me; 07-01-2013 at 05:48 AM.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 12:25 PM

When installing the MV Corse Race kit I could not find any pipe going from the exhaust to anywhere.........

Where is the exhaust gas taken from???

Do the new Brutales really have an AGR??

Jochen

I motori sono come le donne, bisogna saperli toccare nelle parti piu' sensibili.......
__________________________________________________ ___________________
2018 Brutale 800RR
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherche View Post
When installing the MV Corse Race kit I could not find any pipe going from the exhaust to anywhere.........

Where is the exhaust gas taken from???

Do the new Brutales really have an AGR??

Jochen
No exhaust gas being taken.
The air goes from the airbox to the exhaust ports via the valve cover.

2018 Husky 701 Supermoto
2018 Aprilia Tuono 1100

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode