Rear hub torque check - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Rear hub torque check

I have now got via Design Corse the socket to remove rear wheel nut & also a heavy duty torque wrench.
I want to check the torque on my hub nut & wheel nut, which begs the question - which side is the most critical for damage due to over tightening.
ie. the nut that holds the rear wheel oh the right side or the nut on the left side of swing arm, or both equally.
It was your message Eddy on the 12k service thread that made me think on this, I guess I assumed it was the wheel side that was the one most at risk from over tightening. Now I see the hub side must still be at the factory setting as the bike has only had 1k & 6 k service, & a new set of tires.

Last edited by aiki; 06-28-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 03:02 PM

Neither are as critical as the hub cap screws! Basically you are taking up the clearances in the assembly, putting enough pre-tension in the sprocket side to keep the assembly together due to axial forces and putting enough pre-tension on the threads to stop the nut(s) coming loose. So the sprocket side is where you should torque up, wheel side not so critical.

K1300R
Diavel
Pushbike

Last edited by billywhizzz; 06-28-2013 at 03:05 PM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billywhizzz View Post
Neither are as critical as the hub cap screws! Basically you are taking up the clearances in the assembly, putting enough pre-tension in the sprocket side to keep the assembly together due to axial forces and putting enough pre-tension on the threads to stop the nut(s) coming loose. So the sprocket side is where you should torque up, wheel side not so critical.
Shaun's spot on ...On my project F4 I haven't torqued up the sprocket nut yet and there is a little axial play in the assembly. This is to be expected as I haven't taken up the end to end clearances as engineered by design,

The wheel nut holds the wheel in place. Tightening either of these nuts does not preload the bearings.

The hub pinch bolts ( x2 ) however, are not to be overtightened or they can crush/stress the wheel side 2Row ball bearing and compromise it. ie Fcuk it up for want of a better expression.

joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 05:20 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiki View Post
I have now got via Design Corse the socket to remove rear wheel nut & also a heavy duty torque wrench.
I want to check the torque on my hub nut & wheel nut, which begs the question - which side is the most critical for damage due to over tightening.
ie. the nut that holds the rear wheel oh the right side or the nut on the left side of swing arm, or both equally.
It was your message Eddy on the 12k service thread that made me think on this, I guess I assumed it was the wheel side that was the one most at risk from over tightening. Now I see the hub side must still be at the factory setting as the bike has only had 1k & 6 k service, & a new set of tires.
Mate,all the nuts are critical,if the wheel nut is loose,the wheel rim will move on the carrier.If the sprocket side nut is loose the needle bearing ring can spin and cause rapid wear.Pinch bolts overtensioned can put too much load on the wheel side bearing.For piece of mind check them all.Torque the pinch bolts at the lower value 28nm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Aha, now I feel foolish telling the mechanic not to over tighten my wheel nut, oh well they must get used to it.
So from what you are saying I should probably just forget about the hub and let them check it at the appropriate service. I want to remove my rear wheel to tidy up my hunger bolts so I will torque nut appropriately but now realise this has nought to do with hub failures. (I think)
Thanks guys.
Oops just saw Mitchys commen. re-think all. I need to look up what the pinch bolts are now.

Last edited by aiki; 06-28-2013 at 05:30 PM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 06:47 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Pinch bolts- 28nm
Wheel side nut- 240nm
Sprocket side nut- 220nm
Grease threads on nuts.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Mobile-0423041326
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Mitchy, had a look in the manuals but still in the dark on what's a Pinch Bolt.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 11:38 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink pinch bolts?

Jon;
the pinch bolts are the 2, 10mm Allen bolts at the rear of the swing arm.....there is a sticky on the swingarm that says 28-32 Nm

i use less torque
i also have Mitch hubs in both my MVs

28Nm = 20.65 lb/ft, i have posted what that does to a stock hub

i use 15 lb/ft, i'm old and have been doing this stuff for a long time.....
THIS IS MY DECISION
i'm not telling you to do it

try this, tighten 1 pinch bolt to 14Nm and try to rotate the hub

no, Godzilla couldn't rotate it either

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 02:57 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
I Love you humour Noel.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Mobile-0423041326
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, very informative.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode