Cylinder head gaskets - MVAgusta.net
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
gotojoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bellanagare, West Ireland 44 7875 299281
Posts: 9,930
Cylinder head gaskets

There are three different thicknesses of cylinder head gasket for F4s ( don't know about Brutales but I would imagine same ).

What is the criteria which would decide on the gasket which is to be selected for a particular engine ?

joe



opps ( already discussed on previous threads )

Last edited by gotojoe; 06-13-2013 at 05:21 AM.
gotojoe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 05:50 AM
Old Wing Nut
 
esq'z me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 17,952
Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Measurements as specified in workshop manual.....but you already found that.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
esq'z me is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 06:55 PM
Senior Member
 
theknurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Palos Verdes Est, SoCal, USA
Posts: 13,806
Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink ?

Joe;
the gasket thickness is marked on 1 of the tabs on the front edge of the gasket

just use the same thickness.....there is a factory deck height tool.....
but just use the same thickness and save the hassle

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
theknurl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 10:09 PM
Senior Member
 
BSR-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Capo Beach, Ca, US
Posts: 932
If you've got the time and the know how, Measure the squish and then order accordingly.

2018 Husky 701 Supermoto
2018 Aprilia Tuono 1100
BSR-1 is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 06:44 PM
Senior Member
 
theknurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Palos Verdes Est, SoCal, USA
Posts: 13,806
Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs down ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
If you've got the time and the know how, Measure the squish and then order accordingly.
why bother? use the factory selected size, it ran with it

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
theknurl is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Senior Member
 
quad-turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Italia
Posts: 4,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
why bother? use the factory selected size, it ran with it
The obvious answer is almost always the best eh Noel

ORBIS NON SUFFICIT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
quad-turbo is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Senior Member
 
BSR-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Capo Beach, Ca, US
Posts: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
why bother? use the factory selected size, it ran with it
You say there's no benefit to maximizing your squish? Or just not worth the effort?
I'm finding that I'd like more power and better response but I'm just not ready to wash away my warranty just yet.

2018 Husky 701 Supermoto
2018 Aprilia Tuono 1100
BSR-1 is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 01:16 AM
Senior Member
 
theknurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Palos Verdes Est, SoCal, USA
Posts: 13,806
Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
You say there's no benefit to maximizing your squish? Or just not worth the effort?
I'm finding that I'd like more power and better response but I'm just not ready to wash away my warranty just yet.
ever watch the factory engine assembly videos?
the CNC stylus measured the piston projection, and if they have the IQ of a piss ant, they averaged the reading and picked the optimum head gasket

my MVs have enough power for me.....i'm old, like Ed says "i used to be fast...."

if i needed more power i'd do what RC Jr did, his 4x4 Gixxer makes 235RWHP on a real dyno not a DynoJet.....he has the World's quickest 1/8Mi

of course i could take a Gixxer to my buddy Bob at RBRacing and use HIS ECU that i already have, that won the Mikuni ShootOut 3 times and throw a Garrett G-35 (i think thats the number) hair dryer on it, an intercooler, water/alcohol inject it and have ~400HP

of course neither Bob nor his wife would let me do this
we've been friends for over 40 years

Psst:
BSR-1, Bob's BMW R1100RT will EAT YOUR MV ALIVE to 150MPH with saddle bags and a top box.....it makes boost at idle

so will his Harley Road Toad;
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/turbo/hdturboright4.jpg
if he tightens the waste gate it'll make over 300HP

its the old 'how fast do you want to go?......how much money do you have?

personally, from the number of lost bottom ends NA, i don't think the MV motor is strong enough for a hair dryer or the squeeze

remember a built blown 'Busa will go ~700HP

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
theknurl is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Senior Member
 
BSR-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Capo Beach, Ca, US
Posts: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
ever watch the factory engine assembly videos?
the CNC stylus measured the piston projection, and if they have the IQ of a piss ant, they averaged the reading and picked the optimum head gasket

my MVs have enough power for me.....i'm old, like Ed says "i used to be fast...."

if i needed more power i'd do what RC Jr did, his 4x4 Gixxer makes 235RWHP on a real dyno not a DynoJet.....he has the World's quickest 1/8Mi

of course i could take a Gixxer to my buddy Bob at RBRacing and use HIS ECU that i already have, that won the Mikuni ShootOut 3 times and throw a Garrett G-35 (i think thats the number) hair dryer on it, an intercooler, water/alcohol inject it and have ~400HP

of course neither Bob nor his wife would let me do this
we've been friends for over 40 years

Psst:
BSR-1, Bob's BMW R1100RT will EAT YOUR MV ALIVE to 150MPH with saddle bags and a top box.....it makes boost at idle

so will his Harley Road Toad;
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/turbo/hdturboright4.jpg
if he tightens the waste gate it'll make over 300HP

its the old 'how fast do you want to go?......how much money do you have?

personally, from the number of lost bottom ends NA, i don't think the MV motor is strong enough for a hair dryer or the squeeze

remember a built blown 'Busa will go ~700HP
I guess I'm new to all this stuff.

2018 Husky 701 Supermoto
2018 Aprilia Tuono 1100
BSR-1 is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Senior Member
 
BSR-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Capo Beach, Ca, US
Posts: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
personally, from the number of lost bottom ends NA, i don't think the MV motor is strong enough for a hair dryer or the squeeze
Lost bottom ends?
You mean I'm riding a ticking time bomb?
Should I sell this soon, before disaster strikes?

2018 Husky 701 Supermoto
2018 Aprilia Tuono 1100
BSR-1 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome