New F4 battery woes - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

New F4 battery woes

I know the answer is to take it back to the dealer even before I describe the problem, but I'm just looking to get opinions in the meantime before I get the opportunity:

My F4 1000, which I got yesterday, will not start if left for more than about 8 minutes!

It turns over once before the relay clicks and the electrics are reset.

Charging voltage is 14.1, which is within range. After running the battery voltage stabilises at 13.25 with ignition off, but after 8 minutes it's dropped to 12.96 at which point it won't start. It'll continue to drop to around 12.5 within 12 hours.

It has an alarm fitted, but removing the alarm fuse makes no difference, so I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Could the battery be a dud? Anything else I can try? It's frustrating to have a new bike I can't ride and stop anywhere!

Si
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 03:24 PM

if it turns out to be a knackered battery invest in a quality one as the battery is mounted on it's side and you don't want a leak!

When my Dad and I first laid our eyes on an MV Agusta at the UK launch, we were simply blown away.................
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

If it turns out to be a knackered battery I won't be investing anything at all. The bike is 1 day old!

Si
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 03:35 PM

might check the ground going wire going to the engine block, it might be loose causing intermittent lack of charging, tho it's probably a bad battery. You also might check the batter terminal cables that they're tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatWhisperer View Post
If it turns out to be a knackered battery I won't be investing anything at all. The bike is 1 day old!

Si

Chris
2014 B3 Brutale 800
That's Giuliano Maoggi and the start of the 1956 Motogiro d'Italia.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

I don't think it's connections because it does charge. After a ride the battery voltage is well over 13 volts. Trouble is 10 minutes later it's dropped to 12.9, where it won't start. But I would have expected anything over 12 should be enough. So I suspect it's taking volts, but not producing the amps required, so could be a duff cell or something.

Si
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 08:09 PM

New Site Garage
Sounds like a battery to me Si, probably the same one which has been sitting in the bike since it left the factory quite some time ago now.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 11:08 PM

Donsy

Whats your thoughts on these - is it worth the investment

NEW PRODUCTS FROM MV AGUSTA SPECIAL PARTS
The MV Agusta Special Parts range has been enhanced with two additional new products: a lithium battery that provides better overall performance combined with a considerable savings in terms of weight and the MV Agusta Corse silencer that is dedicated to all of the F4 models from MY2010 to present.

The battery, which includes a charge indicator, is 65% lighter than the standard component and also offers greater longevity in addition to a faster recharge capability.

http://www.mvagusta.it/en/news/new-p...-special-parts

MV Agusta F4 (2013)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 11:27 PM

New Site Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M View Post
Donsy

Whats your thoughts on these - is it worth the investment

NEW PRODUCTS FROM MV AGUSTA SPECIAL PARTS
The MV Agusta Special Parts range has been enhanced with two additional new products: a lithium battery that provides better overall performance combined with a considerable savings in terms of weight and the MV Agusta Corse silencer that is dedicated to all of the F4 models from MY2010 to present.

The battery, which includes a charge indicator, is 65% lighter than the standard component and also offers greater longevity in addition to a faster recharge capability.

http://www.mvagusta.it/en/news/new-p...-special-parts
Only if my existing battery had died, then I would find out how much these guys want for it first.

I run a Ballistic (12Cell) and a Racing Batteries (8Cell) battery in each bike, no problems.
With the RB being a more expensive option, but only 8cell, on cold mornings it will take 3 goes to start the MV, the Ballistic 12cell laugh's at the cold weather, and they both have the same insulation on them.

But what I like about this MV stickered battery is that it's assembled in the correct shape for the MV battery tray. Some of the other brands can be a bit awkward to install John.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 12:22 AM

Thanks mate - appreciate feedback

MV Agusta F4 (2013)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 05:12 AM
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS
Si..

It does sound like a dead cell in the OEM battery.. Have you got a mate you can swap batteries to confirm the fault or if you belong to the RAC or AA, ask them for a call out and get them to drop test your MV unit..

John

These new batteries will be standard fitment on MV's from mid 2013 onwards.. They are made for MV by another supplier and if I told you the cost, you'd faint from shock

EMAIL :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode