Cooling fan issue - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Cooling fan issue

Cooling fans are inopt. Fuse is good. Fans would not operate with fan relay connector (M lead) bridged. Checked voltage. Only getting five volts at the fan relay connector (M lead)? Battery is fully charged. Knew it wouldn't make a difference but I also did a voltage check with engine running. Still only five volts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

I think I might have found the problem? Haven't removed temp sensor for full range test yet, does anyone know off the "top of their head" if 3.7 Kohm is max resistance for the coolant temp sensor? Mine is reading 6.6 Kohm cold. Guessing about 15 celsius. Didn't mention earlier I have 2007 F4
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 05:29 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink Ohms?

Kent;
max Ohms reading in the chart p.L-18 of the service manual is ~3,747 Kohms @20C*

hope that helps

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Noel
Removed the temp sensor and ran the test up to 230 degrees around 90 celsius. At that temp it was showing 0.3 ohms which is about where it is supposed to be. It cooled down to 4.2 ohms. Didn't see the 6.6 again.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 08:51 PM

New Site Garage
Swap the leads between the 2 sensors on the radiator and motor, the one on the rad does the display, the one on the motor supplies the ECU, see what that does on your display.
Fan relay is operated by the ECU, and is sitting just on top of your fuse box on the R/H side of your bike. The realy is the same as used for indicators ...etc situated on the front of the bike if you wanted to swap one out to test.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Don that's good information.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 06:47 AM
Established Member

Were you able to get the fans to work? Same thing happened to my F4. I tried to bridge the relay but did not work. So what I did was I ran a wire from the fan directly to the battery and the fan worked. Now you just need to determine wether it is the relay or temp sensor. Most likely it is just the relay. Good luck.

2003 749S
2008 F4 R312
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 08:45 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent keiper View Post
Cooling fans are inopt. Fuse is good. Fans would not operate with fan relay connector (M lead) bridged. Checked voltage. Only getting five volts at the fan relay connector (M lead)? Battery is fully charged. Knew it wouldn't make a difference but I also did a voltage check with engine running. Still only five volts?
Hi Kent
I've got a 2006 910S with single fan. Notice u mention "fans" so yours might be later/different model. FWIW, I had similar problem recently. Noel, Donsy et al all gave invaluable advice. However, in my case it was corroded contacts on the engine temp sensor. I cleaned them up and the problem fixed. In my case, the fan wouldn't kick in automatically at the set temperature range approx 94C. However, a few steps along the way:
- you've already checked the fuses/ran battery direct to the fan, the resistences of the sensors at various temps etc
- I checked that my SPU was the "black"-back variety and NOT the "blue" (see the sticky thread). Spent weeks going crazy looking for the 'fan relay', which is an ICU digital type inside the SPU
- when testing by bridging the engine temp sensor (M lead) ensure ignition is ON but motor not running, AND the emergency/kill switch is ON. I initially missed doing the latter and spent weeks chasing my tail
- cleaned the contacts on both the engine/radiator temp sensors both on the switch itself and the plug-in sockets
- i installed a manual over-ride switch feeding direct battery via fuse link to the fan

good luck, cheers Claudio

Brutale 910S 2006, KTM SMT 990 2010, Suzuki V-Strom DL650A ABS (ex BMW R1150RT 2002)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Bill for the reply
Didn't have a chance to work on the bike again till today. No luck yet. Both the temp sensor and fan relay are working according to specs. Today I reinstalled the sensors, prepped and then ran the engine up to 223 degrees on the display checked the relay and found zero ohms resistance. It's closing. Ran the engine again to 223, then checked voltage and having followed Claudio's advice by cleaning connection points I was now getting 6 volts. Repeated the same procedure with the temp sensor, 0.3 ohms. I think that clears those two.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Claudio
I hear what you're saying about the kill switch. In the scramble run test while the engine is at test temp I once forgot to turn the key on. Haven't given up yet but might have to do the over-ride. Going to ask Donsy some questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode