The Do's and Dont's of Contact Cleaning - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Banned

The Do's and Dont's of Contact Cleaning

So I took the F4 out for a spin today and during my ride noticed my turn signal switch was a bit wonky. I used it at least 5 times previous and then it stopped working. After playing with it it started working again. My guess is that the switch itself needs a cleaning. I have yet to open up the control to peer inside. One other thing. My High beams have done the same thing in the past but I don't ride at night a lot and the problem went away eventually on it's own. I'll probably deal with that at the same time as it's in the same place.

Any do's and dont's for contact cleaning on these? Is it a sealed switch or open?

Thanks in advance. You guys are always super helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 05:22 PM

My guess is that it may not be a switch fault but either a poor contact at the contact base plate or also highly prone to failure the two pin bullet connector which connects the plate to the harness.

The switch itself is self cleaning to a degree but still worth cleaning if needs be.

joe
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 06:28 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Just keep in mind that some contact cleaners will melt some plastics. Can't remember but I think the contacts are encased in boxes inside the switch housing on the handlebars. Pretty unusual for those to get dirty or corroded, but anything is possible. Proceed with caution, don't just blast away with aerosol spray.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 03:59 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
If your contacts need to be cleaned, you would be better off "burnishing" them with a tool made for the purpose, or even a q-tip soaked in alcohol.

Joe is more likely correct about the problem being in the mirror stalk and contact at the base. With the bike on the side stand and running...or the just the key on I suppose...loosen the two fairing support bracket socket head screws a bit, wiggle the bracket with the turn signal actuated until it works, then tighten the screws up while watching the turn signal.

The contacts are sensitive to pressure and too much or too little will cause them not to function.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
If your contacts need to be cleaned, you would be better off "burnishing" them with a tool made for the purpose, or even a q-tip soaked in alcohol.

Joe is more likely correct about the problem being in the mirror stalk and contact at the base. With the bike on the side stand and running...or the just the key on I suppose...loosen the two fairing support bracket socket head screws a bit, wiggle the bracket with the turn signal actuated until it works, then tighten the screws up while watching the turn signal.

The contacts are sensitive to pressure and too much or too little will cause them not to function.
That's right Chuck, The base plate contacts are sensitive and No 1 suspect if you still get issues is the little bullet connectors as the pins are tiny section and prone to corrosion. Clean them, grease them, and then you will get long service.
The switch itself is being cleaned by the sweeping action of the movement to go left/right etc ...
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Hey guys. Thanks a lot for your suggestions. The Mirror contacts are probably the easiest to deal with so I'll pull the nose cone section off and give those a cleaning. Also gives me a chance to clean the dust out from behind the areas I can't reach with my obsessive microfiber cleaning.

If that does not fix it I'll venture further into the control itself. Taking apart grips controls always raises my stress level slightly as little parts tend to fall out that you have to figure out where they go and things rarely snap back together perfectly the first time. The nose cone and side panels are super easy.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Well hell.

Took the F4 out for a simply wonderful ride today but the turn signals stopped working completely. After a guy stopped to tell me I took that as a hint that I might want to call it a day and head back home and figure out what was wrong before someone ran into me.

I pulled the nose cone off and cleaned the contacts really well but still no turn signals. Then I moved onto the switch itself and sprayed it with a good contact cleaner with no results other than a switch that's now slightly stiffer to use. I then got brave and went inside the grip and admired how well it was put together and cleaned the switch contacts some more without any real results. Tinkering around with it by honking the horn I got the turn signals to illuminate for a moment but they went out again. Figuring it was something loose I wiggled and tugged and tapped but could not get them to come back again. Due to the really high quality fit and finish inside I could not find any end points for the wires to test and verify this is a bad switch. I checked all the fuses and they were completely fine. The High beam when I first bought the bike was intermittent as well but it's come back and works fine now. It started to get dark and I buttoned everything back up and came inside probably a couple of pints low of blood from the mosquitos. :/

Any ideas are welcome. I'm thinking it's a failed turn signal switch but I'm not 100% sure.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Hmm.. I guess only the cool kids get help... Wish I had a couple of Tamburini's or a 2010+ bike to enhance my cool factor... My Alternator post is also has views but no help.. Thanks guys... Don't agree and you don't get help... :/
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 02:30 PM

New Site Garage
Eh... But.... I would not know...
And I dont agree so often...

The only time my blinkers did not work properly I changed the bulbs and it worked fine again.

What a beast of a motorcycle!
It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

Skye I miss you. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Velocity View Post
Eh... But.... I would not know...
And I dont agree so often...

The only time my blinkers did not work properly I changed the bulbs and it worked fine again.
Hey. That's actually useful.

Might check the bulbs themselves. I have not done that yet. I have my doubts but you never know the Italians may have wired the blinkers in series or something crazy like that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode