Any cheap (but good enough) Co2 exhaust gas analyser? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Any cheap (but good enough) Co2 exhaust gas analyser?

Anyone know of a decent, reliable Co2 exhaust gas analyser on the market, so I can set my own mixture properly?

Thanks,

Si
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 10:06 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Don't think there are too many new ones that are not costly. But the old 2 gas machines have been replaced with fancier 4 gas types, so you may find a deal on a used one. Sun makes real good reliable test equipment. An old SnapOn would be good (probably made by Sun).

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 01:04 PM

GUnsen gastester.

http://www.amazon.com/Gunson-G4125-G.../dp/B009WPGJMC

pretty easy to use and inexpensive. I've got one.

Chris
2014 B3 Brutale 800
That's Giuliano Maoggi and the start of the 1956 Motogiro d'Italia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Old Wing Nut

I did an eBay search and found those too, but haven't used one. Good info and reasonable price. Shop around~!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Since I posted tha earlier I've actually already been out and purchased a Gunson Gastester from Halfords for £80. It's very easy to use.

I was surprised at how different the CO reading is between when the bike's idling without and then with the fans running. Anyone know exactly why MV say to do the checking when the fans are running? My level was high, reading 4.6 with fans on, going up to 5.8 when they went off. So I leaned it out a smidge and got it down to 3.6 with fans on and 4.8 when off.

Si
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 04:18 PM

the key to using the gastester is to have the bike to operating temp to get an accurate reading. I'm guessing fans on, indicates the bike is in operating temp range.

One note: be careful and have your probe only sticking into the exhaust slightly, if you put it in deep, the alum probe tube gets really hot and will melt the clear urethane tubing on the tool. Don't ask me how I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatWhisperer View Post
Thanks guys. Since I posted tha earlier I've actually already been out and purchased a Gunson Gastester from Halfords for £80. It's very easy to use.

I was surprised at how different the CO reading is between when the bike's idling without and then with the fans running. Anyone know exactly why MV say to do the checking when the fans are running? My level was high, reading 4.6 with fans on, going up to 5.8 when they went off. So I leaned it out a smidge and got it down to 3.6 with fans on and 4.8 when off.

Si

Chris
2014 B3 Brutale 800
That's Giuliano Maoggi and the start of the 1956 Motogiro d'Italia.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Old Wing Nut

One note on that....reversion pulses in the exhaust will draw clean air in and cause a leaner than actual reading. I put a rag around the outlet with the probe in to try and prevent that. Best method is to make an adapter to thread into the bung in the headers where you get the most accurate reading. That's why it's there....at least on the stock headers.
Back in the 80's we drilled holes in the headers under the engine and installed riv-nuts for the adapters. I have a 4 gang manifold to take readings from each cylinder....with carbs this is essential to get the fuel mixture screws set perfectly.
4% average CO is a good number to shoot for.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 12:31 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink gas analyzer?

gas analyzer?

come on join, the modern world folks

a Lambda meter reads in realtime and on the road too
i have this one on my Aprilia;
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/turbo/dualo2_01.jpg
dual channel for the twin
and the older single channel one like this on my BMW;
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/turbo/ai...single01ps.jpg

setting CO is easy with a Lambda meter because there is a direct relationship between CO and A/F ratio

that said there is no hard and fast rule for what a motor
LIKES at idle...remember how you set idle mixture on a carb?

the motor tells you what it likes

after you get used to using a lambda meter then you add thermocouples in the exhaust too

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode