Rad number 2 blown (lasted 300 miles) - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Rad number 2 blown (lasted 300 miles)

I don't believe it. Just got back from a nice blast, leathers covered in coolant, left foot sliding off the peg... yup 2 weeks after getting the bike back on the road (old rad had cracked), the replacement Rad I bought has let go on the upper LHS.

I should state here that I'm still waiting for the rad Moto GB sent out 4 weeks ago (ordered months back) to reach the dealers. Strangely the status has changed from 'sent out' (hand delivery by arthritic tortoise I'm guessing, unless they're lying to dealers/customers) to 'we're waiting for the stock to come in from Italy'... I see how this works! Anyone got a good mate at Moto GB who can simply tell me the situation straight?

Meanwhile I refusing to have the MV off the road for another couple of months, or to live with Radiators cracking every 300 miles (I've done two in just under 1000). Instead I'm taking the two radiators to a rad repair/build place I know and will get them to use it as a template to make 'Franken-Rad'. Stronger, tougher, more resiliant than any that has come before it! Basically, repair and beef up the stock unit or make a new core that's twice as tough.

If anyone else wants one (and the peace of mind that comes with) let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 11:03 AM
King of Carbon

Send a message via Skype™ to DesignCorse
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13_uk View Post
I don't believe it. Just got back from a nice blast, leathers covered in coolant, left foot sliding off the peg... yup 2 weeks after getting the bike back on the road (old rad had cracked), the replacement Rad I bought has let go on the upper LHS.

I should state here that I'm still waiting for the rad Moto GB sent out 4 weeks ago (ordered months back) to reach the dealers. Strangely the status has changed from 'sent out' (hand delivery by arthritic tortoise I'm guessing, unless they're lying to dealers/customers) to 'we're waiting for the stock to come in from Italy'... I see how this works! Anyone got a good mate at Moto GB who can simply tell me the situation straight?

Meanwhile I refusing to have the MV off the road for another couple of months, or to live with Radiators cracking every 300 miles (I've done two in just under 1000). Instead I'm taking the two radiators to a rad repair/build place I know and will get them to use it as a template to make 'Franken-Rad'. Stronger, tougher, more resiliant than any that has come before it! Basically, repair and beef up the stock unit or make a new core that's twice as tough.

If anyone else wants one (and the peace of mind that comes with) let me know.

Sorry to hear that it really sucks. Have you upgraded your water pump or impellar?

Regards

Al

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T: +44 (0) 1582 840 024

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 11:19 AM

This is an interesting issue in that you have had two let go in short order. It begs the question is it actually the radiators or is it some other cause that is over pressurizing the radiator to the point it lets go.
Have you checked the system to make sure there is no blockage into and out of the overflow bottle?
Radiator cap changed out?
I have no idea what the design pressure is of the system.
Poor design/workmanship of the radiator?
Let us know what you discover.

If Adam and Eve were Chinese, we would still be in paradise
because they would have ignored the apple and eaten the snake!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 11:20 AM

Did both of them crack from the same spot?

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

The water pump housing and impeller are changed for upgraded items. The bike's also running much cooler since the De-cat + Microtec ECU went in (now around 80 degrees on average, 90 on occasion). The entire system's been removed recently to replace the last rad (it was a decent MV mechanic did it so they should have spotted any issues). It also did a full day on the dyno so any major issues should have come up then.

The first rad cracked on the top right, you can see where the core split at the rear. This one's gone on the very top left, seems to be around the joint between the reservoir and the core (where they all go it seems - dealer mentioned it's a known fault and there's an upgraded rad available).

Both are the older model rads, before MV modified the part to address exactly this problem - a few hard rides and they split.

I'm not slowing down so I'll just have to keep spares!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 11:34 AM

Do you have one of the upgraded rads on order? or are you going to keep replacing it with the old ones?

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

I've been waiting about 2 months for a replacement rad to come from MotoGB (MV importer). In fact they even said the part was in their hand, and was "being dispatched today"... 4 weeks ago.

That's why I bought the 2nd hand one, just to get at least one ride in this summer.

With luck my replacement part might arrive this year, but in the meantime I am going to look into having a custom one made to a better spec, as I may also be able to improve on the cooling abilities too (If so I might get a batch made).
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 12:14 PM

Ahhh, I see. Cant you have one of those repaired at a rad shop?

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 01:58 AM
Established Member

Hey Lucky_13,

See my post, I had mine rebuilt at http://www.aaronradiator.co.uk/ - top one only. The top left crack and disintegration of the fins.
See why, in my other post, even though my bike - excuse this - WAS IN BLOODY WARRANTY MOTOGB!!!!!

Excellent job. I did speak to Gareth about making a big all in one type rad, but he did warn that the hourly rate to do so could be quite large! Credit there :-)
They are passionate about bikes and performance cars, £305 all in. Total re-core, beefed up and painted black. I can't understand why rads which are designed to trade heat are painted shiny silver! Surely black is the best? Anyway, it looks the part now. I just have to save up for a rad guard as well.

Keep us updated on your radiator escapades.

F4 1000R
Louder, faster and fixed

The bike wants me to miss the TT but I'm not going to let it!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Top link there!

I'm not going to let MV off the hook on this one, but I will be looking at having a better rad made up. Flimsy rads are just asking for trouble.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode