MV Agusta Forum banner

Engine braking clutch slippage?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  lefin102 
#1 ·
Hey All,

My 2011 Brutale 1090R normally has a relentless engine braking when off throttle, but lately it's be "rolling" through it. I've become so used to the engine braking that I've used it as my trail braking through turns and, though initially annoying, has become part of the my riding style. The bike still pulls like a freight train in lower gears, though weather has kept from pushing it in higher gears to notice any slippage under load. Can anyone confirm that this loss of engine braking is due to clutch slippage? It's not jumping teeth or anything, just that feeling of the engine braking starting to resist and then slipping past. Makes for a shuddery deceleration if the clutch isn't pulled while braking now.

Any thoughts are appreciated,

Dave

#3 ·
This bike came with a "slipper" clutch, right?

Slipper clutches do just that.....slip the plates by partial disengagement under decel load. Some are adjustable. ALL wear the plates more than non-slipper clutches.

SO, Yes.....your plates could be getting a bit thin, increasing the amount of decel slip.

Reactions: lefin102
#5 ·
Pretty positive the 2011 1090R didn't come with a slipper clutch like the 1090RR. Until recently I could lock the rear tire up by releasing the throttle from high rpm in 1st and 2nd while any early downshift would lock the rear for a moment.

I'll have to look into blocking the return air feed, though I've been toying with the idea of releasing the exhaust valve.

It's been 40k kms of hard on/off throttle >:). I'd be lying if I said it had an easy life, but that's probably why it's given few issues following my early electrical woes :)

Winter approaches, so I'll likely live with it until I park it for maintenance. I think it'll be a full service this year!

Appreciate the feedback.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.