2012 F4 engine failure - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

2012 F4 engine failure

Hello all,

Bike is a 2012 F4 1000 (Brazilian assembly). I’m located in São Paulo, Brazil. Full background on the bike at the end of the post.

Was on a track day last Saturday and on the straight, still accelerating at 200km/h (probably close to rev limit at 3rd gear or shifting to 4th) heard a knock on engine and loose power. For what I remember pulled clutch and when released heard loud rattle.

Coasted to stop. Tried to start bike once and heard something like if one cylinder was open.

Back home, bike on stand, rotating wheel by hand while 6th gear engaged, hear metal click between each compression.

Disassembled air box and found those 2 pieces of metal inside air box.

Ruler is in Centimeters.

Also, looking through throttle bodies, I can see 2 more of those pieces on top of cylinder 4 intake valves.

And comparing what I see on other cylinders, it looks like the end tip of valve guides for cylinder 4 are also missing. Was not able to take a clear picture.

So, what are your thoughts and recommendation on this? I’m probably disassembling head to look further. Thinking of both valves and guides.

I do not have any intention on selling the bike so would want to have the best approach here. But of corse do not want to spend more money than what is really necessary.

Bike background:
As mentioned, Brazilian assembly 2012 F4 (it is same as regular 2010 F4). Bike was purchased new at the end of 2012 and is now with a bit more than 28.000 km on the clock.

Regular maintenance by dealer on first 2 years (1000, 6000 and 12000km services). Did oil and oil filter changes every 3.000km or less. Motul 7100 10w60.

After that did all maintenance by myself being most relevant on this case oil and filter changes every 3.000km or less (particularly when done trackdays), coolant every year.

Never really done any service on valves, timing chain or tensor.

Engine never overheated and never had any failure. Did had some intermittent strange behavior at low rpm and idle, but found out latter a problem with cylinder 1 coil, and it was solved.

Last 12 months bike haven’t seen the streets and did 9 track days (my guess would be something like 2.000km of track usage last year). And some track days before that. Other than this regular road usage.

So thank you in advance and really looking forward for all input to have the bike back up and running.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:23 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Does look like broken pieces of valve guide.
You have serviced the bike at the recommended interval and good quality oil.
Time to remove the rocker cover and cylinder head to investigate further.
Have the valve clearances been checked since you have owned the bike?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike- F4 1078 312rr
Work.Email & Paypal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

No. Never checked valve clearance. Never really opened the cover

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:30 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Valve clearances should be checked every 12000kms.
Your motor may have just had a mechanical failure,it does happen.

Bike- F4 1078 312rr
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Yep, now it seems stupid of me, but never thought it would be a big problem with low mileage...

Should have done, especially with track abuse I was putting lately...

Well, will arrange some space to start working on it and keep you all updates.

Never did this before so will have some question for you guys here.

Edward and mitchy like this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 05:52 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
You have damaged valves and broken valve guides (the metal bits you found)..... You will need a new head at the very least. With luck your cylinder will be OK, but that one piston will likely need replacement.

Time for a top-end overhaul. Crank and rods should be OK, unless you find major piston damage.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

By new heads you mean the whole thing or just an overhaul?

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 06:52 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Considering the difficulty in replacing valve guides in the radially displaced head, a new head (or good used) would likely be your best bet. But you may be able to refurbish your head.....how good is your machine shop?

Of course, that will depend on the extent of the damage.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Do not even know any machine shop, but would start looking for one after removing the head.

A new head will probably cost more than a new bike (given exchange rates and importation taxes) and if this ends being the only option will likely part out the bike for selling...

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Do you guys know of other brands with radial valves? Because I could search for a shop with experience on this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in