Issue with blinking F4 Mirrors - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Issue with blinking F4 Mirrors

Hi guys,

I have a 2010 F4 and noticed that my right turning lights were flashing very fast whereas the left ones were OK. Turned out that my Front Right was not blinking at all and my Rear Right was OK, just blinking faster.

To make sure it was not the relay, I swapped the front mirrors and the issue was moved to the other side => My right front mirror was the problem.

I noticed that the negative wire was damaged so welded it to make sure there was a good conection. When I plugged the Front Right mirror back, I noticed that the LED barely light up. How is that even possible? This means that there is definitely electricity going through but not enough? I have tried removing the mirror itself to get access to the electronics t see if there was not a messed up fuse, but was unable to remove the mirror itself.

Is there anything you would suggest? Thanks for your help.

G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:22 AM

You have a bad solder joint
esq'z me likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:55 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Nothing inside the mirror, just the wires and socket for the bulb which you can get to from the blinker lens.

As George says, bad solder joint. High resistance = voltage drop = dim light.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks guy, keep in mind they are LED lights so not sure how that could happen. Also, all 3 LEDs are weak. Would that bad soldier join be inside the blinker itself?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Forgot to mention but the connectors (male and female) are damaged so might be the cause.

If you guys ever wonder what connectors Ducati, MV Agusta and KTM use, they are this reference: 02T-JWPF-VSLE-S (female) and 02R-JWPF-VSLE-S (male). They are called "JWPF Connectors" and they are cheap as chips (although you need to buy them 10 at once) and you can get quite a few for the price of only one on ebay...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 07:26 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Damaged connectors bad solder joint (same thing) or something in the circuit that is dropping voltage (resistance).

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks, I have ordered a few connectors so will try to swap and let you know if that fixes the issue. I hope it does as it is becoming hard to get MV spare parts these days...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 05:28 AM

In your original post you said you welded the negative lead. I assume you mean soldered. That solder joint is probably the problem
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by number2 View Post
In your original post you said you welded the negative lead. I assume you mean soldered. That solder joint is probably the problem
Indeed, I soldered it, because the plastic around the wire was open and most of the metallir wire were cut off. I soldered well after I had the issue and assumed that making a proper conection would solve my issue, which it die not. What I noticed though is that electricity flows between the positive and negative connectors, which is not the case when I test the blinker that works. That makes me believe the connector itself, which is broken, is creating a short circuit.

G
esq'z me likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Managed to find what the issue was... As per this picture of the inside of the blinker printed circuit (a real pain to dismantle it by the way), I found a moving part (at the tip of the screw driver) which seems to have broken and I have no idea what it is. I am not an electronic guy so was wondering if any of you knew what this would be? If I know what that is, I would be able to buy a new one and solder it back (just to try and see if that works).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-G...s22_LECpmZA379
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode