Brutale 1090r 2011 ECU problem - MVAgusta.net
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Brutale 1090r 2011 ECU problem

Sorry for the double post, I moved this post from the welcome area)

Hoping to get a very long story (almost 2 months now) rather short. Purchase a 2011 1090r Brutale last february when snow finaly melted, my bike ran fine for...100 km. Then it ran on 3 cylinders (intermittent). Too it to the dealer

At the MV shop:
Spark plugs changed
Cables cheked THOROUGHLY
injectors checked
Coils checked

Culprit ECU. That's what the diagnostic tool of the dealer said.

Bought the exact same part second hand on EBAY. It came with the key (IGNITION KEY ECU ECM LOCK SET). When all is installed now the bike doesn't start, the headlight blinks, so do the flashers. The dealer said that I bought a faulty ECU. If my ECU is put back, it starts and run on 3 cylinders. I can't believe the two are faulty, especially the second one. It must be something in the configuration, I mean, it has to be...

If it is indeed the ECU, is there any alternatives to the original ECU which is insanely priced (1 319 Euros- 1 940 Can$)?

Thanks in advance,

Eric

MV Agusta 1090r 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:34 PM

New Site Garage
Barboy,

My bet is a coil despite being 'checked'. Not saying it can't happen but 2 x faulty ecu's? Not too many posts about faulty ecu's on here, especially your model. I've dropped a few coils over the years especially in the wet. If your going to buy an original ecu put your money into a Microtec from Chris at X-Bikes, best money you'll ever spend. Probably cheaper too. Your dealer sounds like he took the easy options. Other forum members may have one for sale or an original you can test.

Cheers

Deano
cruiser likes this.

2009 1078RR Brutale
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

thanks a bunch for the quick reply. The coils have been swapped and the problem remained. https://www.microtec.cc/en/standard-...ort/m226-m227/ would be your suggestion?

And to improve my knowledge about this, the second hand ECU I bought shoud have been just plug and play isn't it? Is there something mystic about plugging an ECU? It can't be more complicated than flash the ECU then update the software can it?

MV Agusta 1090r 2011

Last edited by Barboy2; 07-26-2019 at 08:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:49 PM

New Site Garage
Hey Barboy, I've changed a number of ECU's on my Gen-2 bikes and never needed a 'key' set. I've only seen keys being required for a new Dash...not the ECU. (unless I've misread what you said) - so that doesn't sound right.

The Gen2 dash will display a "Coil N" fault if it detects and actual coil problem and show you which cycl has the problem.

I've also resolved what I thought was a coil problem, when I changed the submerged filter - so the cycl wasn't firing and it was moving being cycl 2 and 4. (I wouldn't exclude a aged fuel/filter as being a contributor to the problem)

As Deano said, the Gen2 ECU is a pretty reliable unit and even single failures are rare - and yes Chris' ECU's a excellent.

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

When I purchased the ECU it came with the whole thing and the dealer said they changed everything (pic attached) I thought there was a necessity to change the key with the ECU (at least, that's what they told me). I will have an update on what's on the dash tomorrow morning and will keep you updated.

I lost it a little when he told me the second ECU was bad too. I meant, what are the odds, it make no sense.

It's always the 4th cylinder that is he problem. The mechanic made the 4th cylinder run by swapping a coil. Could a clogged fuel filter do this due to loss of fuel pressure?

Thanks guys
Attached Images

MV Agusta 1090r 2011
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:15 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barboy2 View Post
When I purchased the ECU it came with the whole thing and the dealer said they changed everything (pic attached) I thought there was a necessity to change the key with the ECU (at least, that's what they told me). I will have an update on what's on the dash tomorrow morning and will keep you updated.

I lost it a little when he told me the second ECU was bad too. I meant, what are the odds, it make no sense.

It's always the 4th cylinder that is he problem. The mechanic made the 4th cylinder run by swapping a coil. Could a clogged fuel filter do this due to loss of fuel pressure?

Thanks guys
You DO NOT need a new key to change the ECU, revert to original ignition/key and new ECU (step 1). These are smart ignitions hence why the bike is probably in an immobilized state.

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
You DO NOT need a new key to change the ECU, revert to original ignition/key and new ECU (step 1). These are smart ignitions hence why the bike is probably in an immobilized state.
If this is the case, that would be awesome, On the other hand, I do not understand why a new key-ignition switch would cause a problem

Thanks for your expertise and patience

MV Agusta 1090r 2011
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

one more thing...

My original problem was that the engine was running on three instead of four but at least it was running. AT WORST, could jut block the fuel to enter the 4th cylinder in some way and drive on three without more problems exept loss of power and rough idle?

MV Agusta 1090r 2011
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 07:20 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Unless I am confused, I believe your bike is the last of the MVs with the Marelli 5SM ECU. A pretty reliable and trouble free unit. Odd that it would have a fault with one ignition coil circuit.
What are the last nine digits of your VIN?? That will tell us what yer model it actually is.

The diagnostic software contains active control tests for the ignition and injector circuits, so if the dealer ran the diagnostic software he is probably correct.

A blocked or failed injector would cause the same symptom.

I suspect the second ECU is having an immobilizer issue with the key, and thinks the bike is being stolen. Again, the diagnostic software contains immobilizer test/configure section.
The immobilizer is in the dash.... so you need to put your original key switch back on and try that first.

Is there an alternative? Yes...you could get a Microtec ECU from Chris at X-Bikes to replace the Marelli 5SM ...for about the same cost.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)

Last edited by esq'z me; 07-27-2019 at 07:24 AM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

thanks a bunch again mates. The thing is getting clearer. It is indeed a Marelli 5SM (8A00B5568 for the part number). As for the Microtec ECU from Chris at X-Bikes, I'm in Canada and the part is roughly the same price as an original part. I have no confidence in the guys working on my bike so anything not stock is I guess another challenge for them.

I really hope reverting to the original key will do the trick. If it works, I'll need your adresses to send you a beer!

edit: Just phoned my mechanic, he was surprised that the immobilizer was in the dash /facepalm . Some expert! He will try it later this afternoon or at the beginning of next week. Thanks again for the hope you've given me!

VIN: XBV002498
cruiser and esq'z me like this.

MV Agusta 1090r 2011

Last edited by Barboy2; 07-27-2019 at 08:36 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in