Webshop ETL camchaintensioner review - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Webshop ETL camchaintensioner review

Hi guys,

2 wks back i asked about a sketchy webshop https://www.camchaintensioner.co.uk. in the following thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbedoes View Post
Anybody know if this shop is legit?
https://www.camchaintensioner.co.uk
I asked because the website raises a lot of red flags;
The company had no registered adres.
The website has no ownership information.
There is no phone number.
The testimonials are anonymous.
The website only accepts Paypall/creditcard payments.
Emails get answered without a greeting/closing and name.
It has 130, 5 star reviews (0 neutral, 0 negative) on ebay, Which is sketchy but ill get back to that later.

So it kind of reminded me of my first date and my mother walked me trough red flags to look our for with women. My father later convinced me that i should definitely date her if she tagged the red flags my mother warned me about.

Anyway, i have been trying to source a Tokyomods 15-003KX for a while, but nobody has them in stock, Vivid racing does not answer my emails about shipping costs. Tokyomods can't tell when they will be in stock again. I don't like the long bolt type of tensioners APE makes. And second hand models are very expensive with shipping included. I came across ETL several times but skipped them because of the red flags. But i got lonely, desperate and overexcited just like i was on my first date.

So i hoped for the best and i ordered a cam chain tensioner from ETL camchaintensioner for £47.99 GBP ~ € 54 ~ $ 60 for my 2003 B4. I ordered the Kawasaki KXF250 (2004-2018) model. The seller also confirmed that this model is compatible with my MV Agusta. I also asked about the Manual cam chain tensioner for RMZ250 (2004-2017) and the seller said the pusher length is different. He did not answer when i asked what the dimensional difference is.
I ordered on 10 July, The payment was confirmed on 10 July, the Shipping was confirmed on 11 July.
So i haven't slept for 5 days and i received the tensioner today on 16 July.

And now i get the 5 start reviews. The product is excellent.

It is a 6 part assembly (and 2 mounting screws);
-A standard stainless A2-70 self locking serrated flanged M12 Nut.
-A beautifully anodised aluminium body. It is milled very nicely, it has a fine grain finish so it is probably light bead blasted. The anodised finish is very smooth so it is probable made of Aluminium EN AW-6082.
-The pusher is made of a non magnetic stainless steel grade, probably Stainless Steel - AISI 304
-It has large o-ring in the body and 2 o'rings on the pusher. I can't tell if they are NRB or FKM, also does not really matter, common o-ring materials will do fine in engine oil.

I did notice some minor Cons.
-The tensioner is relatively heavy. ~ 150 grams.
-There is some clearance between the internal housing thread and the pusher thread, not necessary bad, could prevent seizing up.
-I am not sure about a serrated nut on an aluminum body. I am nut sure if it will hold and it will carve up the aluminium body and damage the anodizing. I am considering using a regular nut with a Nord-Lock ring or Nylon self lock nut.

Some specs:
Weight ~ 150 grams
Pusher lenght measured from mouting flange extended: 60mm
Pusher lenght measured from mouting flange retracted: 44mm
Thread M12
Nut M12 keywidth 18mm.
Pusher keywidth 8mm.

All in all a very nice product. Well worth the money. Fast delivery from UK to NL. Would recommend.
I am nut sure why the seller i hiding his identity, probably to avoid liability when something goes wrong.
I won't be able to install it anytime soon but when i do i'll post an update.

PS. DO NOT tighten the lock nut to industry standard torque recommendation rates (~80 Nm ~ 65 lb-ft) you will pull out the aluminium thread in the housing. 40-50Nm 35 lb-ft should be fine. Maybe even use some low strength loctite. Or some kind of positive locking solution (i would like to have that feature on this tensioner).

Does anybody have an automatic OEM tensioner laying around who can check what the pusher lengths dimensions are extended and retracted?

2003 MV Agusta Brutale 750S

Last edited by Robbedoes; 07-16-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:32 PM

I have the exact same tensioner, it works as promised! Done like 3500km on it allready, no leaks or other problems either.

Have re tightened it twice now, and third time is just around the corner.

F4 750 with Brutale 910S motor
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViggenF4 View Post
I have the exact same tensioner, it works as promised! Done like 3500km on it allready, no leaks or other problems either.

Have re tightened it twice now, and third time is just around the corner.
Good to hear, but do you mean you had to re-tighten the lock nut or you had to change the pusher position for chain tension? And 3 times in 3500km? Did you tension it by listening to the chain rattle method (as the instructions) or by feeling/measuring the cam chain tension (x mm deflection @ x kg force on the chain) method (industrial standard)?

2003 MV Agusta Brutale 750S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:10 PM

I had to re tighten the chain tension three times yes. I did the re tightening just by turning it 1/8 turn tighter.

There is no way you can tighten it while the engine runs, you will burn your hands!

The tightness will need constant doing, prepare for that.

F4 750 with Brutale 910S motor

Tags
camchaintensioner, mcct, tensioner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode