Great-Fuel Pump? - MVAgusta.net
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Great-Fuel Pump?

So got my fuel connections from Chuck. Made up my fuel lines turned key and pump did not prime or did the rev counter cycle. I checked pump fuse and it is fine. Fuel tank sat for maybe 2 week empty on the floor. Now I tested the lines harness going to the pump and getting 12 volts at the connector so I am thinking the pump took a crap.
Would that cause the rev counter to mot cycle and the dash screen stay blank? I am trying to source a fuel pump now to replace but I am wondering on the dash display and what is happening with that. I don't want to fudge with the display if it won't cycle if the pump doesn't prime.

LMK. A guy a few threads down said he was having the same issue but he is looking at corrosion in his display. Not sure if that would cause the fuel pump to not work.

Oh I have an upgraded black SPU BTW not sure if that means anything,

Brutale 910S 2006 BTW

2006 Brutale 910S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 02:26 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Use a battery and some jumpers to test the fuel pump before you replace it..... You may just have a poor connection at the pump...but that will not keep the dash from cycling.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

I checked Power at the harness and it’s getting power. I think the pump went from sitting dry and upside down for two weeks. Why isn’t the rev counter cycling thou?

2006 Brutale 910S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 04:16 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Pump gets power through the SPU...but the ECU grounds it. Test the pump by unplugging it and jumping 12 volts to the connector pins. Pumps don't go "bad" from being dry.

If the ECU isn't grounding the pump then the dash could be related.

Did all this begin with the new SPU installation?

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:44 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

Pull the pump, put 12 volts to the back end of the pump......
Bet it works.....the wire to the pump breaks where it goes through the fuel pump plate

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Well the dash is working nw. Turns out I "popped" the Speed Sensor 5amp fuse. I replaced that and the dash lit up and cycled like normal. Now I'm still working on the pump. I will have to pull the pump and see. I tried to put 12 volts directly to the 4 pin connector and although I had my daughter hold the connector while trying to put power on two tiny leads I think I may have done it but the pump did nothing. I am getting 12 volts on pin # 1 and 2. Like you said I will have to pull the assembly out. Can that connection be fixed under the tank? or am I "stuck like Chuck" (no offense Chuck ). Worst case scenario. I am stuck buying the pump from Stratwin? Its crazy expensive. Will the pump from a 750s fit? I'm going to cross check part numbers.

2006 Brutale 910S
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Yeap-750S and 910S share the same part number for the fuel pump. 800090920. Going to find the screws to pull out the assembly. May start doing this tomorrow.

2006 Brutale 910S
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:44 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoosht04 View Post
Can that connection be fixed under the tank? or am I "stuck like Chuck"
Oh! I can actually help with this one

I think you're referring to the 4-pin connector that goes to the fuel sender unit. If it's faulty low enough in the connector, then power would not make it to the fuel pump. Pull the fuel plate and try testing the pump directly like Noel suggests. If the pump fires up, then check continuity from the pins on the fuel sender connector (what you disconnect when you remove the tank), to the connector on the fuel pump side. I can't remember which pin goes to what on each side, but if you check out this thread I think I listed that info

If continuity is good, and pump fires up when powered directly, then it's something else
silentservice703 likes this.

chris chandler
2004 Brutale S
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Maybe I just don't "know" this bike yet. I fiddled with the ignition button (the kill switch by the throttle) back and forth and heard something. I turned the key I heard the pump then tapped the starter. She started right up. Maybe it had something to do with the Speed Sensor fuse and the fuel lines being empty after changing them. Tomorrow I will bolt the tank and and check for leaks. If it all looks good I'll take her out for a bit of a ride to warm her up and top the tank up.
Stay tuned !

2006 Brutale 910S
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:16 AM

New Site Garage

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode