running rich (high altitude) - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

running rich (high altitude)

Couldnt find that much info on this. I only really found one article about it: MV Agusta FAQ: Tuning 2) Idle, Base CO and Throttle Body Balance

So my bike has always run rich from day one. I'm here at Denver altitude, my starting elevation is 5500ft up to 10,000ft. it hasn't really been a problem, except for the poor gas milage. (or smelling like rich exhaust, which i secretly like)

Im wondering if using the methods in that blog, will help any? before i go tearing into it.
I just figured that the MV stuff doesnt adjust for altitude like a car does, and it seems to run ok. (but think it could be better)

brut 750 S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:38 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Those methods will help some....so will an EProm from @merc07 on this forum.

What year is your Brutale? (And would you please put that information in your signature line through User CP?)

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:44 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
The MV does in fact have an atmospheric pressure sensor.....

The real problem is that your bike is using a 1.6M ECU which was designed for a twin cylinder engine. The injectors and spark plugs both fire in pairs, which means you have a wasted injector spray on every cylinder (the wasted ignition spark is no big deal...common on many old 4 cylinder bikes).

Hard to get the fueling tuned just right with that spray of fuel against a closed intake valve in a port with no air flow occurring. MV did it pretty well, but compromises had to be made....exacerbated by your high altitude.

So...careful tuning of TPS, idle CO trim, and a proper map on the eprom (talk to Merco7/Adam) will help. If you REALLY want to make her run as well as possible you need to get a Microtec from X-Bikes that converts to sequential fuel injection.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 01:48 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
The MV does in fact have an atmospheric pressure sensor.....

The real problem is that your bike is using a 1.6M ECU which was designed for a twin cylinder engine. The injectors and spark plugs both fire in pairs, which means you have a wasted injector spray on every cylinder (the wasted ignition spark is no big deal...common on many old 4 cylinder bikes).

Hard to get the fueling tuned just right with that spray of fuel against a closed intake valve in a port with no air flow occurring. MV did it pretty well, but compromises had to be made....exacerbated by your high altitude.
Ed;.
I.6M ECUs came on all Lancias including the turbo ones and all Fiats way before Ducati started using them '95-'02. Then they switched to 5.9 M
Then MV used them '99-'06 or '07
You have this phobia about non sequential injection.......
You need to stop and think about what happens
When the intake valve opens what happens?
1st it sucks in the last squirt that happened 360° ago.....what's that gas been doing? Vaporizing on the hot surfaces......so you're getting a better mixture.....what contributes to that? the air coming down the intake raising the pressure, not much because it's
10 times a second at idle
Then the injector fires and loads the 2nd half of the fuel....
Who gives a shit it if the correct amount of fuel goes in in 1 squirt or 2????? Besides it allows them to use a smaller injector

It is my understanding that the 1.6M ECU can drive 8 coils, 2 Lambda sensors, a MAP sensor and the rest of the usual suspects

I think the OP's problem is the atmospheric pressure sensor.......there is no test in the manual, it's not even mentioned
In the Electrical Section......in the Trouble Shooting Guide it says "if it's bad replace It's
Thanks MV

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
Ed;.
I.6M ECUs came on all Lancias including the turbo ones and all Fiats way before Ducati started using them '95-'02. Then they switched to 5.9 M
Then MV used them '99-'06 or '07
You have this phobia about non sequential injection.......
You need to stop and think about what happens
When the intake valve opens what happens?
1st it sucks in the last squirt that happened 360° ago.....what's that gas been doing? Vaporizing on the hot surfaces......so you're getting a better mixture.....what contributes to that? the air coming down the intake raising the pressure, not much because it's
10 times a second at idle
Then the injector fires and loads the 2nd half of the fuel....
Who gives a shit it if the correct amount of fuel goes in in 1 squirt or 2????? Besides it allows them to use a smaller injector

It is my understanding that the 1.6M ECU can drive 8 coils, 2 Lambda sensors, a MAP sensor and the rest of the usual suspects

I think the OP's problem is the atmospheric pressure sensor.......there is no test in the manual, it's not even mentioned
In the Electrical Section......in the Trouble Shooting Guide it says "if it's bad replace It's
Thanks MV
is this pressure sensor the MAP sensor? can you show me a picture?

Could it really be bad from brand new?

04 Brutale 750S
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:25 AM
Old Wing Nut

It is the sensor on the air box... I doubt it is bad. There is a CO% trim potentiometer in your ECU. It probably needs to be set.

Check the service manual for the procedure.

Team Double 3 Racing | MV Agusta

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:57 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDanger View Post
is this pressure sensor the MAP sensor? can you show me a picture?

Could it really be bad from brand new?
Not MAP sensor, there isn't 1 on 1st Gen MVs
Atmospheric pressure sensor/ambient temperature sensor is item #6
Attached Images

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:44 PM

Its amazing it even idles if its very rich. I would also first give the trim pot a try!
esq'z me likes this.

F4 750 with Brutale 910S motor
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 03:30 PM

I have been having the same issue with my 04 brutale 750. I moved from near sea level to 3500 feet and low RPMs seem really rich. I talked to a shop about it (non MV shop) and they just said it was the fuel having ethanol in the gas. Will running non ethanol fuel help or was he just blowing smoke?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 04:46 PM
Old Wing Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifterz28 View Post
I have been having the same issue with my 04 brutale 750. I moved from near sea level to 3500 feet and low RPMs seem really rich. I talked to a shop about it (non MV shop) and they just said it was the fuel having ethanol in the gas. Will running non ethanol fuel help or was he just blowing smoke?
They are unfamiliar with your bike....and E10 gas doesn't cause that. Definitely blowing smoke.

Ask them if they know how to adjust the CO% potentiometer in the ECU...if they look at you like you're crazy, or try some more BS on you, find another technician...preferably one who has worked on older Ducatis with the same ECU.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode