Worried about all the issues to look out for! - Page 2 - MVAgusta.net
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPI View Post
Thanks mate, yeah I certainly do enjoy my bikes, and being in Australia we are lucky enough to be able to ride all year round.
I always make sure they get a ride at least once a fortnight or so and always maintained to the highest possible standard, Thanks for the reply. 😀
Gidday

I have a Turismo Veloce (tv), which inspired me to buy an F4RR. The negative experiences reported by some riders did not deter me, as SS703 points out, it is less common that people report good events. Useful to know potenial problems though. In addition to what the fellas above say, unlike me & plenty enough other owners you have access to at least 2 quality MV dealers in the Sydney region, MV Paramatta and Moto Tecnica. If in doubt, ask someone. Highly recommended. In my opinion.

Again, as the fellas above said, stick to yur maintencance sched, and remember that it is Italian. I owned Guzzi for decades, and they were as reliable as any Japanese bike, in part because I cleaned and tightened things regulalry. One day, in the middle of nowhere in west NSW, one of them just stopped. I got off, walked around, pressed start and it fired, immediately, as always. Italian?

A mechanic I know was telling me t'other day that the crankshaft on his BMW X3, you know one of those obese station wagons, had broken. Crankshaft, not conrod. BMW. Broken. And no, he had not been trying to kill it. $$$$$

There is a bloke on the forum here who makes a replacement hub if you are worried about that.

The issue that caused me the most anguish before purchasing the F4 was whether or not I could live with the riding position, and the reported poor fuel economy. While it is not a cruiser, it is not uncomfortable, and the fuel ecomony is amazingly good for any bike, even more so for a feckin' space shuttle. It does not like being in the traffic very much.

Post expenditure second thoughts are quite common. You sound like you know what you are doing, run it in, get used to its unusual and beguilling character and the fact that starngers will ogle it, and soon enough, form and function will reach communion. And you will wonder how you ever doubted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:35 AM

PS

As we are coming up to our winter, you will need to familairise yourself with the charger. There are two wee plugs under what passes for the passenger seat. One for a laptop, the other for the MV trickle charger. In winter, when not riding, leave it on or turn it on routinely.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:05 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Hey all, I am new to the forum and MV's and own a 2018 F4.
I have been doing a lot of reading on hear over the past few days and am starting to feel that these bikes are a ticking time bomb! Rear hubs, electrical issues, fueling issue, exhaust valve issue, well nuts in air box... Arrrrrggggghhhhhh!

I am reaching out to all the MV old timers and asking if possible could you please make a list of all known common issues I should be aware of and or replacement parts, I have no issues with spend money to stop catastrophic failure and my own safety.

Maybe I have just scared myself silly with all the reading but now I am very cautious about actually riding this beautiful machine.....

Just ride the bloody thing. Fix it if it breaks, like any mechanical thing. Enjoy, don't stress!

Cheers

Deano

2009 1078RR Brutale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
Quote:
Hey all, I am new to the forum and MV's and own a 2018 F4.
I have been doing a lot of reading on hear over the past few days and am starting to feel that these bikes are a ticking time bomb! Rear hubs, electrical issues, fueling issue, exhaust valve issue, well nuts in air box... Arrrrrggggghhhhhh!

I am reaching out to all the MV old timers and asking if possible could you please make a list of all known common issues I should be aware of and or replacement parts, I have no issues with spend money to stop catastrophic failure and my own safety.

Maybe I have just scared myself silly with all the reading but now I am very cautious about actually riding this beautiful machine.....

Just ride the bloody thing. Fix it if it breaks, like any mechanical thing. Enjoy, don't stress!

Cheers

Deano
Lol.. Yeah true, I know it's my own fault for looking into the issues to far. My biggest concern was with the hub failure, but looks as though it shouldn't be a problem with this year model.

Thanks for the reply. 😀 👍

Previous rides:
'86 Yamaha RZ250R - '96 Honda RVF400R - '96 Kawasaki ZX7R -
'00 Ducati 748R - '07 Honda CBR1000RR -'13 Ducati 848EVO

Current ride:
'18 MV Agusta F4
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRoyWallace View Post
PS

As we are coming up to our winter, you will need to familairise yourself with the charger. There are two wee plugs under what passes for the passenger seat. One for a laptop, the other for the MV trickle charger. In winter, when not riding, leave it on or turn it on routinely.
Cheers mate, I have been using C-tek chargers for many years now. Definitely worth their weight in gold. I actually enjoy riding in the cooler months than I do in summer, so my bikes get more attention around now.

And yes, Italian bikes certainly do have a mind of there own. My Ducati seems to think it's funny to show the fuel light even when I know I have more than enough to get to my destination, but it still makes me question it every time! 😂😂

I think because I have lusted after an F4 for so long, I was just freaking out with the multitude of "potential problems" that I got lost in the moment.

Thanks for the reply. 😀 👍

Previous rides:

Current ride:
'18 MV Agusta F4
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:35 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

HAPPI;
'08 Brutale 910R......61,000km
Still on the original chain and sprockets
Mitch Hub
Valve cover may have been off before I bought it @7,000km hasn't been off since
Broke 2 toe pegs
Front wheel bearings died
Original battery lasted 8 years

On 2nd Gen bikes the cush drives eat the rubbers and will wobble if the sprocket nut isn't kept tight
I know there's a lock spring......remove it and check the tension of the sprocket nut anyway

On all MVs reduce the pinch bolt torque to 20Nm/15lbft

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 03:44 AM

Hello Happi,

No worries. Having ridden mainly Japanese machines so far and being lucky with all of them, I had the exact same concerns with MV.

Hence I did the same and read all articles about the different models and their issues. I think there are several factors contributing to the common perception of MV's reliability.

1. It is a special machine and needs special treatment, both from the rider and the servicing mechanic.

A lot of riders simply have no empathy for the mechanics (like gently riding the engine warm) and while a Japanese bike may be a bit more tolerant on abuse, the MV will not "accept" such mistreatment.

While according to my personal experience most MV dealers are really into their job, I have also come across a big multi brand dealer that was doong MV on the side. The guy tried to sell me a first year F3 as a 2015 model and was totally unaware of the changes that had been done on the bike. If one does not even know the product how can that person perform proper maintenance.

2. MV pushed the envelope quite hard on new models, but also continuously improved on their range. In consequence, early models (which are tested by the big motoring media) built a certain reputation, when testers thrash them in their procedures, which a normal enthusiast would never do to his/her bike.

3. Public relations work of MV. In Germany there are basically two long term tests available on the net: one of the first F4 1000S which went up in smoke after 12.000km or so and one of the TV800, that had an awful amount of flaws during the first 20.000km, but then was healed and endured without major issues. In comparison to other manfacturers MV seems to not consider bad media too relevant. If one reads long term reviews about other brands, it happens that their machines also blow up, but then very calmly another (updated) long term tester is issued and the tone of the final article has a small side note. Prominent example is BMW that had big problems with their first S1000RR. But whenever something occurred in press or customers, they often just replaced the original engine in order to not create any bad reputation. MV cannot do the same, but maybe they should throw some long termers of their latest creations on the market to demonstrate that a lot has been improved over the years.

4. The spare part logistics of MV contributes to the perception as well. While a Yamaha or whatever bigger brand machine that shows some error code is brought to the next franchise and can be fixed immediately or within days, an MV usually spends more time waiting on the spare. Hence little issues feel like showstoppers.

4. In a forum the threads often deal with problems.

Having said that my MY16 F4 which should be more or less technically identical to yours, has not shown any issues during the first 3.000km with me, nor during the first 5.000km with the first owner. According to my mechanic that I trust the latest four cylinder models are very reliable, given proper servicing.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
HAPPI;
'08 Brutale 910R......61,000km
Still on the original chain and sprockets
Mitch Hub
Valve cover may have been off before I bought it @7,000km hasn't been off since
Broke 2 toe pegs
Front wheel bearings died
Original battery lasted 8 years

On 2nd Gen bikes the cush drives eat the rubbers and will wobble if the sprocket nut isn't kept tight
I know there's a lock spring......remove it and check the tension of the sprocket nut anyway

On all MVs reduce the pinch bolt torque to 20Nm/15lbft
[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/images/MVagusta_net_2016/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG]
Thanks mate, I appreciate the advice. This is exactly what I was looking for. And I certainly will reduce the torque on those pesky pinch bolts. 😉 👍👍

Previous rides:

Current ride:
'18 MV Agusta F4
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexnow36 View Post
Hello Happi,

No worries. Having ridden mainly Japanese machines so far and being lucky with all of them, I had the exact same concerns with MV.

Hence I did the same and read all articles about the different models and their issues. I think there are several factors contributing to the common perception of MV's reliability.

1. It is a special machine and needs special treatment, both from the rider and the servicing mechanic.

A lot of riders simply have no empathy for the mechanics (like gently riding the engine warm) and while a Japanese bike may be a bit more tolerant on abuse, the MV will not "accept" such mistreatment.

While according to my personal experience most MV dealers are really into their job, I have also come across a big multi brand dealer that was doong MV on the side. The guy tried to sell me a first year F3 as a 2015 model and was totally unaware of the changes that had been done on the bike. If one does not even know the product how can that person perform proper maintenance.

2. MV pushed the envelope quite hard on new models, but also continuously improved on their range. In consequence, early models (which are tested by the big motoring media) built a certain reputation, when testers thrash them in their procedures, which a normal enthusiast would never do to his/her bike.

3. Public relations work of MV. In Germany there are basically two long term tests available on the net: one of the first F4 1000S which went up in smoke after 12.000km or so and one of the TV800, that had an awful amount of flaws during the first 20.000km, but then was healed and endured without major issues. In comparison to other manfacturers MV seems to not consider bad media too relevant. If one reads long term reviews about other brands, it happens that their machines also blow up, but then very calmly another (updated) long term tester is issued and the tone of the final article has a small side note. Prominent example is BMW that had big problems with their first S1000RR. But whenever something occurred in press or customers, they often just replaced the original engine in order to not create any bad reputation. MV cannot do the same, but maybe they should throw some long termers of their latest creations on the market to demonstrate that a lot has been improved over the years.

4. The spare part logistics of MV contributes to the perception as well. While a Yamaha or whatever bigger brand machine that shows some error code is brought to the next franchise and can be fixed immediately or within days, an MV usually spends more time waiting on the spare. Hence little issues feel like showstoppers.

4. In a forum the threads often deal with problems.

Having said that my MY16 F4 which should be more or less technically identical to yours, has not shown any issues during the first 3.000km with me, nor during the first 5.000km with the first owner. According to my mechanic that I trust the latest four cylinder models are very reliable, given proper servicing.
Hey mate, glad to hear someone else had the same concerns as myself, I absolutely love this bike and have wanted one for many years now. I held back on my purchase due to already having 2 Ducatis I'm my garage. I sold my 748R recently and the time just seemed right, it's good to know that you and many more are having trouble free ownership. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. 😀 👍

Previous rides:

Current ride:
'18 MV Agusta F4
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:30 AM

New Site Garage
Dont look to much into the "bad stories". And definitely dont listing to the comments on any social media platform without those trolls providing proof.

Sure, ofcourse there are people who have had the worse luck and bought a lemon. And those folk out there are so mad they just start brand bashing bequase they can.
Someone has a "exhaust valve error" on the dash and asks for help. A dissatisfied former MV owner would come along: "yeah F MV's they're pure sh!t, nothing but issues" blabla we've seen them all.

And instead of actually providing the information the guy needs he also now might start to doubt his purchase. Which is stupid cause a simple plug n play into computer and a self relearn update will fix it. Or a healtech plug.

You can read 100 great reviews on the internet. It never takes such an impact like 1 bad review does.
esq'z me likes this.

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

Last edited by Black_Gold_Saw; 03-26-2019 at 09:07 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode