Injectors not firing - MVAgusta.net
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Injectors not firing

I have an ‘06 F41000 that I’ve owned since 2015. It has always run well. I don’t ride it often but keep it on a battery tender, keep Sta-bil in the tank, and try to run it up to operating temperature every few weeks.

Two weeks ago I took it on a brief ride. It ran fine. After I got home I tried to start it and it wouldn’t fire. I tried again the next day and it just cranked. I couldn’t hear the pump priming so I pulled the tank. Since then I’ve done the following:

1)Replaced the fuel pump and all in-tank lines with submersible high-pressure hose and new stainless clamps
2)Cleaned the inside of the tank
3)Replaced the fuel filter
4)Replaced the spark plugs
5)Checked the fuel rail, and the fuel lines from tank to fuel rail and back, to ensure no blockages
6)Had the injectors cleaned by a bike shop
7)Checked all fuses and swapped the undertail relays around

The pump primes when the ignition is switched on. I’ve put a test light on each injector plug and each one lights up for about two or three seconds when the ignition is turned on. I removed the fuel line where it connects to the rail and confirmed it sprays a considerable volume of fuel (into a plastic bottle) when the ignition is switched on.

Despite all of that, the bike will crank but not fire. I gave it a brief shot of starting fluid—which I hate using—and it fired and ran momentarily. I pulled the air box and looked into the throttle bodies while cranking; no fuel was coming from any of the injectors.

I’m absolutely stumped. I’ve read every fuel system-related post I can find, and followed a lot of the advice, but here I am with a non-running MV. A bike mechanic I know says it sounds ECU-related but I’m not sure of how to check that short of hauling it an hour to the closest MV dealer and getting robbed by them. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

I should add that the bike is stock except for a Power Commander, which was on it when I bought it and which I’ve never touched.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 06:14 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Did you do anything to the bike between the end of the ride and the start attempt?

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Nothing. I got back from the ride, parked in front of my house to carry my helmet and jacket inside, then tried to start it to ride the 500 or so feet to my shop. It wouldnít fire and hasnít since.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 07:14 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
I would first disable and remove the PC from the circuit to see if that is the issue.
esq'z me and theknurl like this.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:23 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
The injectors are getting initial power for the pre-start key-on sequence....but then do not get power after (your test results with test light). The injectors should have 12 v at the power wire continuously. The ECU grounds the circuit to fire the injector (and the PC intercepts that signal and modifies it).

First things first...take the PowerCommander out...they are infamous for creating problems just like this. Just unplug the wiring to the injectors and then plug the MV harness onto the injectors. No need to do anything else.

If that fixes it then you know what needs to happen. If not....put it back together and look elsewhere.....

I haven't studied the schematic this morning and I am old and forgetful.... but I think there may be a relay involved:

Sounds like the relay that powers the injectors is turning on with initial key on sequence and then not being turned back on when cranking. ECU turns on the relay when crank position signal is received (engine being started or running).

Either the relay is failing or the ECU is not turning it on. You can test this theory by manually turning on the relay (grounding the wire to the ECU).

Good luck.
silentservice703 likes this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Thank you both. Funny that you both suspect the PC as I took a look at it early this morning before heading to work. Whoever installed it had it laying on the base of the tail, just ahead of the ECU...and right above the exhaust. The back of the PC case is melted. I popped it off (technically broke it off because it was melted together). The guts look OK but I realize that could mean nothing. Iíve had PCs on other bikes and am used to being able to disconnect them with a simple plug and the ground wire, but Iíve never seen a connection as complex as this one. I had to get to work but tonight Iíll see about disconnecting the plug to the injectors as suggested.

Iíll report back. Thanks again.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Update: Got home, dropped my stuff, went to the shop. Disconnected the PC plug to Cylinder 1, popped the tank back on, cranked, and saw a fuel mist in that throttle body. Smiled. Took the tank back off, removed the other three PC plugs, reinstalled the tank. Fired instantly.

Thank you again, guys.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 05:51 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Good news !!! See you at COTA MotoGP ???

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Iíll be there Saturday. Iíve got to go out of town so Iíll miss race day, but Iíll take any day at the track I can get. You coming over from Georgia?
esq'z me likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode