Oil change - drain the oil cooler? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Oil change - drain the oil cooler?

Has anybody gone to the trouble of doing this when changing the oil on a gen 2 bike? The manuals don't mention doing it and the sealing arrangement on the hoses means it wouldn't be the easiest to do which cooled my enthusiasm for the task. It would be best to have replacement sealing rings already to hand!

It looks like the lines and cooler would hold around one third of a liter of oil which is not a large part of the total capacity. The top half of the cooler may drain back through the engine given enough time.

Any views out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:37 AM
Established Member

Never did this. And I got almost 3 liters of oil back after draining. Considering some losses I believe that most is drained. Plus oil stays very clear for a long time after change.

But this is just my experience.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 02:02 PM

New Site Garage
If you dont want to drain the cooler make gravity to the job. Try and get the front wheel up in the air so the oil falls back in the engine compartment...
Or so it seems to work in my brain :P after 20 minutes or so put front wheel back on ground and let it drain out...??

Let me know how it works haha. Im doing a oil change very soon and not planning on disconnecting the oil cooler.

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 02:52 PM
Established Member

I generally don't bother with this as my oil change intervals are short and I'm using Mob 1 which doesn't oxidize and keeps crap in suspension more effectively than fossil oils. May be wise if you are changing weights or to/from synthetic but, otherwise, the risk is greater than any potential benefit IMHO.

Sealing washers are also a once and done affair and should be replaced if disturbed. And I would include rubber compound seals here also. BelMetric https://www.belmetric.com/ has a plethora of sealing washers, including the more rare hollow copper jobs that actually crush under torque which is as it should be. The alum jobs are the worst, and I have seen many a steel fill/drain plug strip out the (usually alum) parent housing from over torqueing on an alum crush washer, which don't really crush much at all.

RC
Failure is not an option

2016 Tri Thruxton R
2005 Ago F4 1000
2005 BMW 1200GS
1995 Duc 916
1994 Bim DB2
1986 Duc MHR Mille
1983 BMW R100S
1975 Hon 400
1975 BMW R90S
1974 Duc 750 Sport
1972 Hon 750
1966 Hon S90
1965 Duc Monza
1971 Norton 750
1971 BMW R75

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode