shifting between first and second has suddenly become a problem - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By theknurl
  • 1 Post By tallguyjc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

shifting between first and second has suddenly become a problem

Hi Guys,
Was just out on the f4 (750 first gen 2001) this morning, and about half way through my ride, shifting between first to second became impossible without it first going in to neutral and then up in to second, i tried being more positive but to no avail, it was fine to start with then started this all of a sudden, no dodgy gear changes on my part before hand, anybody had a similar experience? or anyone know their way round these gearboxes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 09:10 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

Yes, MV gear boxes are excellent
Since it only involves 1st to 2nd (another member had the same problem after the bike sitting for a time, riding it cured it)
Study page G11 of the Parts Manual

Possible culprits
dirt inside #20
springs #25 &#30
and the neutral switch

If you go into the shift mechanism, when removing the cover press on the shift lever so everything stays in place

My recommendation;
Put the bike on a rear stand
Zip tie the clutch lever down and have a helper turn the wheel while you shift
Turn the wheel forwards and backwards
esq'z me likes this.

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for taking the time and effort to reply to my question, i will try what you suggest, i noticed that the neutral light was not coming on when it was in neutral, so your suggestions are probably near the mark, i will hopefully get a few hours to investigate this coming week, works been very busy! thanks again, and i will try and remember to update when have explored/investigated and repaired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 06:16 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

Try removing the neutral switch

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
The Following User Says Thank You to theknurl For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 10:58 AM

New Site Garage
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Stewart
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Thanks for taking the time and effort to reply to my question, i will try what you suggest, i noticed that the neutral light was not coming on when it was in neutral, so your suggestions are probably near the mark, i will hopefully get a few hours to investigate this coming week, works been very busy! thanks again, and i will try and remember to update when have explored/investigated and repaired.
Id probably go ahead and order one. When mine was doing this I pulled it and there was oil residue and some corresponding sticking to the switch. My bike had sat for some time before buying it and Id think some seals might have gotten dry spots. Replaced the switch and have been good for 6 years and 15k miles since. Even pulled and inspected the switch and it was clean. Guess since i ride the bike regularly the seal was properly hydrated and didnt leak anymore.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Stewart For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 05:49 PM

I'm the other member that Noel was talking about. I have a 2005 Brutale 750, it had sat for quite a while before I aquired it. Between 1st and 2nd it would get "caught" in neutral and would not go into 2nd to save my life. The problem resolved itself after riding the snot out of it. As soon as I got it up to not legal speeds, it fixed itself. I havent had an issue with the gearbox since. I dont know if that would help, but hopefully it is an easy fix for you.
theknurl likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to tallguyjc For This Useful Post:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode