Feared disaster with the B4 750!!!! - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Feared disaster with the B4 750!!!!

Snatched an 80 mile ride last Friday afternoon and all seemed well, until I arrived home, da da dah!!
I always have a quick visual around any bike I've ridden before I garage it. This time I was met with an oh no situation! There was a small divot of alloy punched off the outer surface of the sprocket cover, and I could see the head of an M8 bolt in the hole! Unfortunately, I was needed elsewhere and haven't had time to investigate since then, and have been sick with anxiety ever since!
All sorts of scenarios were circulating my cortex, but, there was no oil leak evident so I sort of convinced myself it couldn't be serious, could it?!
Finally, this afternoon I found 30 minutes to delve further, not without trepidation!
So, I popped the sprocket cover off, well almost, it's hampered by a cable which I guess is the speedo sensor? Anyway, the culprit was immediately obvious. An M8 bolt, which retains a toothed wheel to the sprocket shaft, had backed out and because it's rotating with the drive sprocket it had just forced it's way through the cover! I'm guessing again that the toothed wheel activates the speedo sensor?
So, disaster averted! Although, I bet the sprocket cover isn't a cheap part!! Nothing simple on these beasts!
I had took a break mid journey and the problem wasn't evident then, so it must have happened on the return run. It's possible things could have been worse had the journey been longer. Small mercy's then.
The only unusual thing I noticed on the trip was an erratic gear indicater, not sure if thats associated with the area at fault.

I'll make a parts enquiry tomorrow, braced for impact

INTERNAL COMBUSTION RECREATION FOREVER
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 11:30 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Ah yes, the backed out speed sensor reluctor bolt and subsequent hole in cover. Seen it on bikes other than MV. Except for the damaged cover there isn't much bad that can happen.

That cover may be found used inexpensively....same part on all the first gen 4 cylinders. R1andrew may have one...he replaced the original with an overpriced bit of billet prettiness a long time ago.

Hint, use some loc-tite on that bolt when you torque it back down.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Bolt now Loctited! Don't really like billet ally but if there was a Carbon one, hmmmmm!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 04:52 PM

New Site Garage
Well don't say that I did not warn you ;-)

https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/20-ma...mes-loose.html

What a beast of a motorcycle!
It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

Skye I miss you. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Before my time!! I didn't buy this Brutale until July this year.
Are there any other bolts that have a habit of becoming loose?!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

For those that may be interested!
Attached Images

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 06:20 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
A little JB Weld and that will buff right out !!!!

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

JB weld botchery on an MV, never gonna happen!! I do have a friend that could TIG it up but it would need alot of dressing and then painting, too much hassle. If I can find a mint used part, that would be fine but if not then new it will be!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 06:41 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Exclamation ?

brutant;
You don't know how bolts are measured
It's an M6x20
Attached Images

Dunlop likes this.

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Ooops!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode