Broken down - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Limpwrist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Broken down

Hi. My 1090RR (2010) has stopped on a motorway. dash initially said engine fault-coil 1, 2,3,4. Also, my sat nav indicated no power. Now I have nothing on the on the dash, nothing works at all.
Any ideas? Maybe the battery has died or??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 02:02 PM

New Site Garage
Send a message via MSN to gotfolk Send a message via Skype™ to gotfolk
Start with your battery and make sure the wires have not become loose from it.

IF the wires are tight, check the battery to see IF it is just dead.

Next look over all the connections on the wire harness and make sure nothing is corroded and has become broken or loose.

Ironically I will be doing this with my 2012 1090RR here soon... (I put a new battery in and still having the same issue, so it is time to dive into the harness and find it)

2015 Yamaha FJ-09
2012 Brutale 1090RR
2005 Yamaha R6 - Sold
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
rectifier

Seems like the rectifier is the problem. Anyone know which Jap one fits? I am on holiday and need a quick fix to get me home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
rectifier

the battery is not charging, output from alternator is good. there was no warning on the dash, the thing just stopped.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 10:37 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Pretty much all regulator/rectifiers are made the same way (different capacities for larger alternators of course). Just packaging and connections differ. Pick any Japanese liter bike and see if you can change the connectors to match your bike. Should work just fine.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
It's fixed!
Managed to find a used rectifier, fitted it but still not charging.
Gave up and had it collected by the local MV dealer in Basel. After we told the mechanic what we had done, he went straight to the connector on the starter solenoid. It was blackened and the wires were exposed and fused together. He replaced the connector and wires and we were back on the road within 2 hours.
I should have had it done before the hol, but it had done 17k miles and I thought mine was ok. Wrong.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 09:07 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpwrist View Post
the battery is not charging, output from alternator is good. there was no warning on the dash, the thing just stopped.
I wish I had not been out of communication for this one.

The starter solenoid connections are always the first suspect in this situation.

There are many threads about this.

Gapalicious 2020 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from Sept. 23-Sept.27, 2020

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Returned from holiday and thought I should complete the story.
The holiday plan was to ride down the route grande alpe, and then back up the route napoleon.
After 300 yards of the 330 mile ride to the channel tunnel, the gear lever return spring broke. When I returned to the house, my mother asked whether I had forgotten something-I asked her to put the kettle on while I got the toolbox out.
Got it fixed (the spare spring was under the seat, as a result of stuff on this forum) and set off again the next day, albeit in a pretty fragile state of mind.
After completing plan A, decided to spend a couple of days in the Vosges. Unfortunately, this involved travelling through Switzerland. The A2 around Basel was very busy and I had to filter for mile after mile in 28 degree heat. Eventually the bike stopped, and I just managed to get to the hard shoulder. I was 30 yards from the 3 kilometre long Belchen Tunnel, I donít like to ponder the outcome had it stopped in there. Nothing electrical working. Left the bike there and got to a hotel in Basel. Returned the next day with a battery and it started, but battery not charging. Rode it to the underground car park at the hotel for further investigation. Alternator output good so suspected the rectifier. New rectifier made no difference. Spannerís were thrown around the car park. When calm was restored and rational thoughts possible, I called the local MV dealer and they collected the bike. The mechanic went straight to the solenoid connector, found the burned block and fused wires and replaced them and I was back on the road to the Vosges within 2 hours. I regret not investigating this myself, but there was no obvious burning as there is in photos of affected bikes on this forum. Also, the stress of the situation did hinder rational thought. For info, the dealer is Shamal Garage, who,were excellent.
Anyway, completed the Vosges ride and the return home. 2800 miles in 2weeks, in great weather, on a fantastic MV Agusta, on the best roads on the planet.
The problems should not have happened, but I wonít slag or defend the bike. They cost me 2 days holiday lost, I usually lose several days fun to rain.
I suppose I will have to decide whether to trust the bike on next years long trips, will these type of things recurr?
Iíve ordered another 2 gear springs, and will consider what if anything can be done to prevent the burning of the connector/wires. The long filtering in 28degree heat, with the fans on for long periods probably found out the weakness. Maybe if the headlight could be switched off to reduce the current draw it might help?
One last thing, everyone should ride an MV Agusta on the N85 from Grasse to Grenoble once, preferably, a lot!
esq'z me likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 06:36 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Nice tale.... the spring, once replaced with improved type, should not break again. The electrical connector, once repaired and tight with no electrical resistance, shouldn't get hot again.

I'd take it on that ride with no concerns today if it were me. Wish I could !!

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 07:41 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Another you may do to improve electrical reliability in that area around the start solenoid is to get better cables from a company like Motoelectric.

Gapalicious 2020 at
from Sept. 23-Sept.27, 2020

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode