F4 Champion Coil Replacement - Plug/play - MVAgusta.net
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

F4 Champion Coil Replacement - Plug/play

SOLVED: Plug/play Champion coil replacement

Background:
When MV F4s began using individual stick-style coils, they came from the factory with Champion brand stick coils. Then, after a time, F4s began to be fitted with Beru stick coils, with a different style connector. I have a 2005 750S Brutale with Champion coils. Recently my #4 coil died and I had trouble sourcing a replacement. A common solution on this forum is to change the connector on the loom and fit a Beru coil. I wanted a solution that retained the original connector, and also felt the Beru coils are too expensive, usually priced well over 100 euro (a piece) or more. My solution below is less than half that price and no extra cost to change connectors.

Solution:
Following a lead from a posting on this forum (a member said he used a Fiat Punto coil), I ordered a Valeo Pencil Coil #245117. This type of automotive coil is fairly common and made by other companies, not just Valeo. The one I found was approximately 40 euro.

Fitment:
The Valeo coil's electrical connector is a direct fit to the MV wiring loom connecor. However, two simple modifications must be made to the new coil. (1) The rubber boot and spring on the Valeo coil is too long. Take your dead Champion's boot and spring and swap those onto the new coil. The Champion's rubber boot and spring fit the new coil without modification. (2) the fixed mounting eyelet on the Valeo coil needs to be ovaled-out slightly with a hand drill and a longer bolt needs to be used to mount it to the top of the engine. The half-moon MV hold-down bracket is no longer used.

Although my description above may seem complicated, once you have the new coil in hand you will see this swap takes minutes and is a clean and easy fit.

Source:

There are dozens of Ebay sellers in Europe selling the Valeo Pencil Coil #245117. Valeo isn't the only company that makes such a coil, cross reference for other makers.
Attached Images

esq'z me, Edward, theknurl and 9 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to exbike For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 12:40 AM

Well done and thanks for sharing this info

2008 F4 1000R
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 04:05 AM

New Site Garage
good info just found it on ebay for £35.00 uk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 06:37 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

Excellent thread I've put a link to it in my sticky
Good work exbike

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 08:33 AM

Nice one

2000 F4 750
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 05:10 PM
Established Member

Excellent work and thanks for sharing!

Just for future reference, would this work on the 2010 and forward models?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 07:47 PM

New Site Garage
My #1 is also a Fiat Punto coil ;D

'04 Brutale 750S
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Update: After 3,000 miles the Valeo replacement coil is continuing to work well in cylinder #4. Then, with the vehicle mileage at 24,000, I had my second OEM Champion unit fail on cylinder #2. I have replaced coil #2 using the procedure above, using a crossed-referenced NGK unit (list of cross referenced coils to follow). While I was making the swap I snapped a few photos to add to the description above.

Here are the two coils. The Champion is on top, and the "Fiat" (meaning Fiat-type) coil is below. You can see that the Fiat-style is slightly longer, the additional length as a result of the longer rubber boot.
Attached Images

Last edited by exbike; 02-25-2019 at 12:32 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to exbike For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Removing the rubber boot and spring is easy, here are the pieces side by side for comparison:
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to exbike For This Useful Post:
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Just remove the boot and spring from the Fiat-style coil, and replace them with Champion rubber boot and spring to form a hybrid. Fits perfectly.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to exbike For This Useful Post:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in