Brutale 910R Engine exploded - MVAgusta.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Angry Brutale 910R Engine exploded

Last ride of the season, was planning on selling the bike and getting myself a Tuono.
Gone for a sunday afternoon ride, warming up the engine, 45 minutes of reasonable driving and then.... I took a stretch of highway close to home.
Full throttle, hit the rev limiter in 5th, going to 6th gear, normally I can hit 235 km/h before my neck is hanging loose from my body.
Now, felt some power loss, got worse, rpm dropped and speed reduced to about 200 - 215

Then it happend... Look in my mirror and a cloud of oil is squirting out of the bike.
I put all my weight to the front of the bike, cause the rear wheel is going all over the place because of the oil and manage to stay upright, whoha

I didn't take a further look (sick of it) but i'm pretty sure there will be a crack/ hole in the engine. or is there still hope ?

How the f can this happen with a 2007 well maintained bike with only 18K Km ?

Valve clearence just checked, high grade oil, (10w60) filters and spark plugs replaced, tps calibrated....

So I have a few options....
Sell the bike as it is

Sell the bike in parts
Buy used engine for 1100 euro's (shipping included)
OR buy a gixxer engine, that would be a fun project I don't have the time for

Advice anybody ?

Is this a exeptional thing with these engines ?
Are there known issues with the 910r why this can happen ?

It all makes no sense to me. If a engine can't handle some throttle than wat is the point ?

Brutale 910R 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 08:53 AM

Glad to hear you didn't drop it and that you are ok.

Others with more experience will certainly chime in but from what I have read these motors are supposed to be pretty sturdy.
Is it possibly something besides a cracked motor...Oil filter leak possibly ?

You will need to have a look to determine your next course of action.

If the bike is dead and you want to get rid of it, parting it out will give you the best return i think, but may take a while.
Good luck

2008 F4 1000R
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 06:15 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Never heard of a 910 engine breaking.... You need to have a look and tell us what happened. Where did the oil come from? Did the oil pressure warning light come on? Was there unusual noise? Did it quit running, or just lose power?

Could be something as simple as a K&N oil filter failure (very common. POS filters). What oil filter were you using?
cruiser and theknurl like this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 06:53 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

Come on tell us did something go through the cases?
That's major noise.....you didn't mention that
Oil line/cooler failure?.......there's your oil leak and if you keep going power loss.

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 11:30 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Like the boys said,have a look to see what has happened.
The motor was probably starting to sieze from lack of oil.
That's your power loss.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 03:54 AM

New Site Garage
but very glad you're in one piece after an oil explosion onto the rear at that speed !!

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Just finished with inspecting the bike
We have a suspect, but no arrest was made.
A thin layer of oil was everywhere, so it's hard to determine a exact spot.

No cracks or holes in the engine.
Crankcase is rotating normal, compression seems ok (not tested with prof. tools)
I think it has something do to with the carter ventilation. I noticed the oil hose on the airbox was hanging loose.
Engine blow-by followed by a clogged PCV valve ->> pressure builds up -->> hose comes loose from airbox, ->> oil squirting from the back
maybe a seal is blown out.
The oil level was at bare minimum, so it could not been more dan 0,50 to 0,75 Liters of oil that was pushed out.

Don't know if i'm making any sense here ?
@george4337 : no oil filter leak, but thank you for the suggestion
@esq'z me : bike lost power and than quit running
@theknurl : I don't fully understand what you are saying, but oil cooler and lines are OK
@mitchy : Oil pressur/lack of oil ?... doubt it, especialy with those high grade oils, but who am I to say you are wrong.

Stil need further look : crankcase cover
Attached Images

Brutale 910R 2007
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 06:59 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
There is no Positive Crankcase Valve as in cars...the crankcase breather you have circled is a separate chamber which captures oil mist and drains it back into the cases. the
The breather hose then routes crankcase positive pressure to the air box so fumes are consumed in combustion via the intake.

There is always air flow from the breather to the air cleaner due to piston pumping and compression blow-by past the rings (even a really tight engine has 2~5% leakage past the rings).
Pretty hard to have enough pressure to blow the hose loose, even with really leaky rings. About the only thing that could cause the hose to blow off the breather cavity (what you circled) is a kinked or plugged breather hose (mis-routed?).

It is possible the hose was blocked, the engine developed enough internal pressure to loose power and move a lot of oil into the breather, then blow the hose off spraying the oil from the cavity.

That's what I think has happened...confirm your hose routing and free air flow into the air box.
theknurl likes this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
The Following User Says Thank You to esq'z me For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 04:06 AM
cus

Nice piece of overstatement, your motor clearly didnít explode. More likely the ď loss of power ď was youíre bike losing traction on its own oil. Top the oil up start it and see how it runs. Where are you, put some kind of location up and someone here might come and lend some assistance or a more informed opinion. Weíre always willing to help on here but need accurate information to do so. Glad you are still upright , you are clearly not in Australia cause those sort of speeds would have you shot on sight here.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cus View Post
Nice piece of overstatement, your motor clearly didn’t explode. More likely the “ loss of power “ was you’re bike losing traction on its own oil. Top the oil up start it and see how it runs. Where are you, put some kind of location up and someone here might come and lend some assistance or a more informed opinion. We’re always willing to help on here but need accurate information to do so. Glad you are still upright , you are clearly not in Australia cause those sort of speeds would have you shot on sight here.
I hope it's an overstatement

but it's a little more than you describe. First came the powerloss, RPM dropped, so not 'losing traction in my own oil' (but i love the phrase)
folowed by engine failure and a cloud of a oil and fuel mixture.

Bike does not start. not then, not now.

Finding the oil leak is one thing, but finding the cause is an other.
There is also leaking oil from the timing cover, so that is not a good sign.
Thank you for the input. In Belgium at that speed... an audi rs4 will probably overtake you :-)

Brutale 910R 2007

Last edited by phunkinit; 09-28-2018 at 05:11 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode