How old is too old anyway? - MVAgusta.net
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

How old is too old anyway?

Hi folks. So I have almost 80k km (7 years of service, regular maintenance) on my 1078 and some persons start to gently remind me that I'm due for some major engine problems. So I'd like to know if anyone's ridden their 1078s for longer and whether they had any problems due to age. I've never ridden it aggressively, preferring to go under 7k, no sudden accelerations or anything of the sort. Mostly just relaxed city riding and long hauls. So far it's still going good, as good as when it was new.

Question number two is those same guys recommend I change the timing chain. Again, just due to sheer age, not because they ever looked inside the engine to see if it's worn out. MV reportedly provides two types - one already complete, closed, which necessitates taking the engine apart completely (expensive!) and there's another one that you close/complete yourself like a drive chain. And the latter is apparently something nobody recommends, however since MV does make one, does it mean it's as good as the closed one? I mean, they've made tests and stuff, right? But generally I wonder if it's all just paranoia at the moment and whether I should even bother with any of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 05:54 PM

Hi mate I don't know much about maintenance but I am an old fucker who says 'if it's not broke don't fix it'. I believe that if you regularly service the bike then it will be fine. Noel is a good guy for this thing as is Ed and Chuck.
Black_Gold_Saw and nigelrb like this.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 06:18 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew fotheringham View Post
Hi mate I don't know much about maintenance but I am an old fucker who says 'if it's not broke don't fix it'. I believe that if you regularly service the bike then it will be fine. Noel is a good guy for this thing as is Ed and Chuck.
Why , 'cause we are old f*cks?
R1andrew likes this.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 06:20 PM

If it ain't broke...don't fix it.

More problems are brought about by doing "what some guy said". If the guy owns an MV, and has experience with high mileage failures, then perhaps his opinion is valid.

These bikes are robust and run very well.

Check the concerns against known specifications for stretch and wear, and, if it's running well, leave well-enough alone.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 08:56 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
As Chuck said, these bikes have pretty robust engines. As long as you treat it well (sounds like you have) then preemptive parts replacement based on racing usage (what is in the MV maintenance recommendations) is a little bit too cautious.

The open cam chain is just fine if you have the proper tools to brad the master link and know how to use them. Other than the chain, there is little in the engine I would be worried about needing replacement for well over 100K miles.

I know more than a few people who have put way over 100K miles on bikes with nothing more than routine maintenance. One friend had over 400K miles on his DL1000 when he retired it with a weepy rear cylinder base gasket. The engine had never been apart, and he didn't want to take it apart. He still owns it a and rides it occasionally.
How many miles on your car???

A quick and accurate way to check cam chain wear is to remove the tensioner and see how far it has extended. This means pulling the valve cover, tying the chain to the cam sprockets to prevent slipping, removing the center bolt of the tensioner to release spring pressure, and then carefully extracting the tensioner to see how far the plunger has advanced. Of course, you will need a point of reference (a lower mileage well maintained bike's tensioner to compare).

Another method is to simply remove the valve cover and note how far the timing marks vary from the correct position at TDC #1. As the chain wears the timing marks will get farther away from the proper alignment.

As others have said and I will concur....don't fix what ain't broke. But if you find the chain stretched then by all means put in a new one....the open kind. Any old skilled tech from the 70's should have the tools and knowledge to do that.

Oh...and I'm old fart and proud of it!!

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Put my mind to ease. These days though you cannot even say what "old" is for a human. But I've certainly heard some guys repeat over again that after 20k miles Brutales are basically just a heap of scrap. I thought I was just lucky.

esq'z me, "MV maintenance recommendations" - is that in the service manual or is it a separate document? You say those recommendations are based on racing usage, any specific numbers or guidelines from MV about what is considered "racing usage" by them?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
Why , 'cause we are old f*cks?
How about "young" old f*cks?

'06 Ducati 999S
'04 MV Agusta F4 SPR
'97 Ducati 748S
'97 Ducati 916SPS
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 06:56 AM

@Buck: Following the Maintenance Intervals and schedule in the Workshop or USer Manuals is pretty conservative.

Something to ponder: These motors are inline fours (for the most part) and similar have been used in cars for ages... some with hundreds of thousands of mile accumulated.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Email/Paypal:

'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 08:23 AM
Established Member

Send a message via Skype™ to christosc
This is an interesting thread. I have a '95 Kawasaki GPz500S as a daily hack, which I've owned since 2005 and 35k miles. I was the third owner, the previous owner is a friend and he looked after the bike. I didn't clean it much, but I serviced it every 3-5k miles max. It covered 84k miles and then it died.
It has never burnt oil, the exhaust gases were clean. The bike was only ridden by me.
Suspected cause is piston ring failure as the compression is half of minimum on one cylinder and minimum on the other, so it will not fire up.
I found this strange as the bike had been serviced regularly then? I did not expect this to happen. I never tracked that bike, but did occasionally red lined it and I never felt that is is getting low on power.

I am not questioning what could the causes of my bike's failure, but want to point out that even properly serviced bikes could fail.

So what I would say is if you think that your bike is getting on a bit, it probably is a good time to do a compression and a leak down test on your engine. This will uncover any non visible problems.

Chris

2012 F4 RR Corsacorta

1995 Kawasaki GPz500S
1998 Yamaha R1 (White) Sold
1999 Kawasaki ZX6R Sold
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 08:24 AM
Al-

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
@Buck: Following the Maintenance Intervals and schedule in the Workshop or USer Manuals is pretty conservative.

Something to ponder: These motors are inline fours (for the most part) and similar have been used in cars for ages... some with hundreds of thousands of mile accumulated.
The difference could be that the RPM range of the bike puts it into an order of resonance that we don't see with car engines. I'm just spit balling obviously, but those second or third order resonant frequencies are probably what breaks this stuff and also what makes them sound so good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode