How old is too old anyway? - Page 2 - MVAgusta.net
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 10:31 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
"MV maintenance recommendations" - is that in the service manual or is it a separate document? You say those recommendations are based on racing usage, any specific numbers or guidelines from MV about that is considered "racing usage" by them?
The maintenance schedule in the owner and service manual....the "substitute parts" recommendations are at very conservative intervals.....like drive chain and rear hub. I say "racing usage" because there is no way those parts wear that fast with normal road usage and good maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christosc View Post
This is an interesting thread. I have a '95 Kawasaki GPz500S as a daily hack, which I've owned since 2005 and 35k miles. I was the third owner, the previous owner is a friend and he looked after the bike. I didn't clean it much, but I serviced it every 3-5k miles max. It covered 84k miles and then it died.
It has never burnt oil, the exhaust gases were clean. The bike was only ridden by me.
Suspected cause is piston ring failure as the compression is half of minimum on one cylinder and minimum on the other, so it will not fire up.
I found this strange as the bike had been serviced regularly then? I did not expect this to happen. I never tracked that bike, but did occasionally red lined it and I never felt that is is getting low on power.
So what I would say is if you think that your bike is getting on a bit, it probably is a good time to do a compression and a leak down test on your engine. This will uncover any non visible problems.
Air cleaner service is critical to piston rings and valve train wear. This is a possible cause for your ring sealing ...or valve sealing, dropping compression. A leak down test would show which.
Valve adjustment is another critical maintenance item, although modern shim under bucket engines like the MV do not require adjustment very frequently.
Valve inspection is needed per the manufacturer recommendation, even though the inspection will likely show no adjustment needed.....until one day it does.

By the way...some high flow air cleaners do not do a good job of stopping dust. K&N filters are horrible. If you have an oiled gauze element I would suggest getting an oiled foam type instead.

I have another friend who has a GSX-R1000K5 (2005) that he rides daily and tracks occasionally. He just retired it at 126K miles, not because it broke but because he wanted a 2017 with all the new technology (electronics, suspension, etc). He still owns the old one and rides it occasionally.
MVBERT and christosc like this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 03:28 AM Thread Starter

I wondered about the rear hub myself: if they really were that wear-prone or if it was something else (not considering the original faulty ones). If I remember correctly they recommend you replace the hub every 30k km.

Going somewhat off-topic, I have a radiator that's been developing leaks on the inner top side for two consecutive years. It started last year on the right top side, several microscopic holes appeared that drained the coolant pretty quickly, those were soldered but not before the coolant pump developed a leak at the bottom, and this year it's the left top side, a couple of holes but less severe. Just plugged them with putty for now. Wonder if that might be due to age or negligence on my part.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 09:08 AM
Old Wing Nut

The hubs need regular maintenance (cleaning, inspection and re-greasing). Bearing replacement as needed.....most failures are the result of excessively tight swing arm pinch bolts and overly tightened drive chain slack.
There are a lot of original rear hubs out there with lots of miles. I never heard of a "defective" batch of hubs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Wasn't it well-known that all hubs manufactured prior to circa 2009 died in approximately 15-20k km? I've had two or more die on me just like that on 910S. Afterwards MV changed the internal design/components (or so I've heard) and the newer replacement ones as well as the ones installed on all bikes since 2009 didn't have the problem.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 03:52 AM

New Site Garage
Buck,

Not so much of a problem with bearings but there are other problems inherant in a basically fucked design. I had the updated 2010 hub after my oricinal shit the bed at 5000k, and the spacers in the new ones wear over time (40000k) so all end float is gone, the sprocket nut is loose, damage imminent etc., etc. Can't torque the nuts up as it locks the back wheel. Bit the bullet and got a Mitchy hub. Could've bought new spacers (availability?) but they would have worn too eventually.

Cheers

Deano

2009 1078RR Brutale
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Deano, how many kms on your Mitch hub so far?
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 09:00 AM
Old Wing Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
Wasn't it well-known that all hubs manufactured prior to circa 2009 died in approximately 15-20k km? I've had two or more die on me just like that on 910S. Afterwards MV changed the internal design/components (or so I've heard) and the newer replacement ones as well as the ones installed on all bikes since 2009 didn't have the problem.
No, not ALL hubs manufactured before 2009 failed.....Mine haven't. Many haven't. But you only hear about those that have.
nigelrb likes this.

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 07:48 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up wtf?

Buck;
You need to research things before you start posting......every statement you made is incorrect

2nd Gen hubs fail too
2nd Gen cush drives eat rubbers, then hubs and themselves.....want pictures?

Most reliable combination
Mitch Hub and a 1st Gen cush drive
john likes this.

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

theknurl, by every statement you mean just every statement I ever made in this thread or was it about the first generation of hubs that supposedly fail?
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 12:33 PM

New Site Garage
There are enough MVs that did over 100.000 km without problems.

I recall there is also over here mentioned and F4 1078 that did over 120.000 km and going strong.
If I am correct the first test F4 of the factory did something like 400.000 km...

Don't worry too much about is. Maintain it well and ride it.
silentservice703 likes this.

What a beast of a motorcycle!
It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

Skye I miss you. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode