Speedometer Works, Doesn't Work - MVAgusta.net
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Speedometer Works, Doesn't Work

The speedometer on my 05 F4 stopped working mid-ride over the weekend. The dash just went to 0mph even though I was moving, and the odometer stopped racking the miles. No other discernible issues on the bike though, and nothing else was awry on the dash. When I stopped to gas up and turned the bike on after I filled up, it seemed to work again as I crawled out of the gas station, but then stopped working again after I got up to speed.

Since then I've checked the speedo fuse. It looked fine, but I went ahead and replaced it anyway as I was already in there. This didn't fix the problem though. I've also felt behind the dash to check the physical connections as well as the terminals in the wiring harness, and I've also had a look at the connector for the speedo sensor, though I haven't pulled the sprocket cover off to check the sensor itself.

Last night I noticed something: When I turn the electronics on without running the bike, the speedometer works when I spin the rear wheel by hand. But when I fire up the bike the speedometer stops working, even just by hand-turning the rear wheel. I did this twice and twice it did the same.

Any thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

for race fans, by race fans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 10:19 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
There is a reluctor on the drive sprocket that generates the signal in the sensor.....It is loose and doesn't spin at speed, but will turn when you are going slow are using your hand on the tire.
Pull the sprocket cover and tighten it up.
nigelrb likes this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 11:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Frig me. That is a class response. Not pissing in your pocket, but they are words of experience. And this wasn't even a 'niggling' problem!

2007 MV F4 1000R
2018 CBR1000RR SP2 : 2011 CBR1000RR : 2004 CBR1000RR : 2003 CBR954RR : 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R : 1985 Honda NS400R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
There is a reluctor on the drive sprocket that generates the signal in the sensor.....It is loose and doesn't spin at speed, but will turn when you are going slow are using your hand on the tire.
Pull the sprocket cover and tighten it up.

Easy enough to try, so I will.

But if so, I don't understand why the speedometer doesn't work when I hand-spin the rear wheel when the bike is running, and why it works when I do the same when the bike isn't running.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 12:38 PM
Old Wing Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelrb View Post
Frig me. That is a class response. Not pissing in your pocket, but they are words of experience. And this wasn't even a 'niggling' problem!
Very common on a certain year Suzuki GSX1300R...but the bolt would break the cover if the rider kept going. Seen it other Japanese models as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec-ECU View Post
Easy enough to try, so I will.

But if so, I don't understand why the speedometer doesn't work when I hand-spin the rear wheel when the bike is running, and why it works when I do the same when the bike isn't running.
Vibration...... It isn't the meter. It is't the sensor. If those were bad it would never work. Could be a poor electrical connection, but I'm betting it's the reluctor not secured.

ABS models use the ABS wheel speed sensors for speedometer reading. Those throw a fault code if they quit.
Spec-ECU likes this.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 11:57 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

Tried removing the reluctor bolt and then loosening the reluctor....
Then put the reluctor back on and just pushed on it with one finger
Apparently there is a slight taper......you can turn the transmission, in
neutral without the bolt.....
Did this on 2 motors.....

My vote, loose/bad electrical connection since it's intermittent

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

I've checked the reluctor. It's on there good and tight.
theknurl likes this.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 06:43 PM
Old Wing Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec-ECU View Post
I've checked the reluctor. It's on there good and tight.
Well...then you need to trace the wiring and check every connector associated with the speed sensor.
theknurl likes this.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

I've checked the resistance on the speedo sensor itself, since that's the only other thing the full service manual notes after checking the fuse. The FSM said it's supposed to read 10k Ohms, but mine read over 13k Ohms multiple times.

So it's looking like the sensor is faulty? I'm gonna go ahead and have a friend (master mechanic) double-check for me. In case it is the sensor, anyone know off hand if the sensor is exclusive to the F4, or is it interchangeable with sensors from other makes/models? Maybe my friend may have laying around his shop.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 12:23 PM
Old Wing Nut

Ohms readings can vary a lot depending on the quality of the meter as well as condition of the meter battery.

+/- 10% is normal variance expected, but you could see 20%, especially with inexpensive meters.

I think the sensor is just a hall effect transistor type. You may be able to substitute one from any number of bikes/brands...but the actual mounting will be the difficulty.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode