Brutale 750 issues. - MVAgusta.net
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Brutale 750 issues.

So, this is my first MV, an '05 Brutale 750, had it for about a month now. Not had much time to ride it though, mainly a couple of rides at night and my first decent long ride yesterday, hot day, about 28 Deg C, the following are issues I've noticed. The bike is very low mileage, just over 5K, full history and is visually almost like new.
1/ VERY harsh suspension on bad road surfaces. Obviously it is fully adjustable, so can I sort this with adjustment?
2/ Terrible headlight!! Is it worth going to an HID (Xenon) kit, or other option?
3/ It runs hot in traffic, from about 80-85C at speed, it quickly jumps to the high 90's in traffic, reaching a max that I saw of 105C with the fan cut in.
It drops fairly quickly to 80-85 at speed again but I don't like this! I've seen overheating discussed with the F4 and larger capacity
Brutale's but not the 750. I've noticed an uprated water pump but at over £300 this is less than desirable! Would using Water
Wetter work or are there other solutions, if it's an issue that is?!
4/ It has a flat spot around 4-5 k RPM, am I expecting too much from a rev happy 750 or is it a mapping issue?

Thats it for now, I would really appreciate any help and information with the above.

INTERNAL COMBUSTION RECREATION FOREVER
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 08:20 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Contact @merc07 to sort out the mapping.

Gapalicious 2020 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from Sept. 23-Sept.27, 2020

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 07:36 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

brutant;
What is the color of the back of your SPU (the electrical box on the right side of the bike)?

There's a sticky about this at the top of the Brutale Section

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 10:47 PM

New Site Garage
Welcome to family my friend, let's see if we can provide some data for you to work with. (Notwithstanding Noel's question regarding your SPU).

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutant View Post
1/ VERY harsh suspension on bad road surfaces. Obviously it is fully adjustable, so can I sort this with adjustment?
2/ Terrible headlight!! Is it worth going to an HID (Xenon) kit, or other option?
3/ It runs hot in traffic, from about 80-85C at speed, it quickly jumps to the high 90's in traffic, reaching a max that I saw of 105C with the fan cut in.
It drops fairly quickly to 80-85 at speed again but I don't like this! I've seen overheating discussed with the F4 and larger capacity
Brutale's but not the 750. I've noticed an uprated water pump but at over £300 this is less than desirable! Would using Water
Wetter work or are there other solutions, if it's an issue that is?!
4/ It has a flat spot around 4-5 k RPM, am I expecting too much from a rev happy 750 or is it a mapping issue?.
The MV's are very easy to work on as long as you have the basic tools and some basic mechanical (there is sticky on the tools that Noel posted)
https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/20-ma...en-owners.html

#1 Was your harsh ride feedback from front, rear or just general? You will need a standard C-spanner to adjust the rear and screw driver for front (upper and lower adjustments on the forks)
910R Suspension Setup Chart (this is the same generation bike)
#2 The original headlights were very good, this sounds like a bulb (or worse case, SPU issue). Please double check the actual glass lense and make sure it is not loose - early generations saw them come loose while riding. If loose, remove it, clean and re-attached with Windscreen rubber glue.
#3 Running temps are within normal parameters. The Brutale did not have the same overheating issues as the F4 so the impellor upgrade is not required. Your description matches a normal range in temperate climate.
#4 With only 5k on the clock...the engine hasn't reached it's first 6k service cycle yet so it definitely needs to be ridden. A number of us did change the sprocket configuration to reduce top end and see better mid-range use. Yes, there are re-mapping options for the ECU as well as options to replace the e-Prom for different exhaust options (quite reasonably priced too).

A couple of things to consider though - a mint 750s with 5k on the clock means the bike hasn't really been ridden over the past (potentially 14+ years). Did you do a complete replacement of the fluids etc.? The previous owner may or may not have had several settings updated and also not have pushed the bike to its intended function? A 20kg rider and riding style differential will have a material impact on the bikes feedback. Also, as earlier mentioned, the manuals are listed and your 6k service is a very simple exercise.

Cheers
silentservice703 likes this.

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
brutant;
What is the color of the back of your SPU (the electrical box on the right side of the bike)?

There's a sticky about this at the top of the Brutale Section

Thanks, it's black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
Welcome to family my friend, let's see if we can provide some data for you to work with. (Notwithstanding Noel's question regarding your SPU).

The MV's are very easy to work on as long as you have the basic tools and some basic mechanical (there is sticky on the tools that Noel posted)
https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/20-ma...en-owners.html

#1 Was your harsh ride feedback from front, rear or just general? You will need a standard C-spanner to adjust the rear and screw driver for front (upper and lower adjustments on the forks)
910R Suspension Setup Chart (this is the same generation bike)
#2 The original headlights were very good, this sounds like a bulb (or worse case, SPU issue). Please double check the actual glass lense and make sure it is not loose - early generations saw them come loose while riding. If loose, remove it, clean and re-attached with Windscreen rubber glue.
#3 Running temps are within normal parameters. The Brutale did not have the same overheating issues as the F4 so the impellor upgrade is not required. Your description matches a normal range in temperate climate.
#4 With only 5k on the clock...the engine hasn't reached it's first 6k service cycle yet so it definitely needs to be ridden. A number of us did change the sprocket configuration to reduce top end and see better mid-range use. Yes, there are re-mapping options for the ECU as well as options to replace the e-Prom for different exhaust options (quite reasonably priced too).

A couple of things to consider though - a mint 750s with 5k on the clock means the bike hasn't really been ridden over the past (potentially 14+ years). Did you do a complete replacement of the fluids etc.? The previous owner may or may not have had several settings updated and also not have pushed the bike to its intended function? A 20kg rider and riding style differential will have a material impact on the bikes feedback. Also, as earlier mentioned, the manuals are listed and your 6k service is a very simple exercise.

Cheers
Thanks. I'm experienced with wrenches so whatever I need to do won't present a problem. Suspension issue is harsh front and rear, I think someone may have been messing without knowing what they are doing but as long as the standard stuff can be adjusted to give a good ride then I'm good with that. I have heard that the Sachs shock is not that good though.
Someone on here mentioned the headlamp glass, that has been attached with silicone by a previous owner so thats ok. Dip beam is sort of ok, but high beam is very scattered and has no throw.
I'm relieved to learn that the engine temp is normal!
Although the mileage is very low for it's age it has been serviced at least every year according to the records that came with it.
I will drop the oil, change the filter and coolant though, so I have a datum point.
Is the flat spot a characteristic of the factory setup? If so, what are the remapping options?
Also, any recommendations for aftermarket exhaust systems would be welcome.
Seems that it needs some miles under it's tyres to settle everything down

INTERNAL COMBUSTION RECREATION FOREVER
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 08:49 PM

New Site Garage
Great to hear about the tools - you'll enjoy the work.

Yep, there are differing opinions on the Sach's however I wouldn't go overboard on the 750 - I think they have enough variability in them (for us mortals anyway). Several of us did have to have them serviced around the 30k mark. ($150).

I wouldn't propose any mapping work until you've settled on the exhaust options. Ideally you want to remove the Cat and replace with a new mid-pipe, then select your preferred silencer/s. Have a scroll through the customising section in the forum, a lot of guys updated their exhaust platforms etc. (review the mods for the 750, 910, 989 and 1078 models). The flat spot wasn't often reported as an issue so it could just be yours.

(IMO) It's your coin mate so the choice is absolutely yours - but I would want to balance investment vs. maintenance over 'your' planned life of the bike. You may want to upgrade to a 910r after a year or two and some of custom components 'could' be shifted to that one whilst you revert the bike back to its original state.

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 10:17 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Exclamation ?

Sachs vs ÷hlins shocks.......
Motorcyclists are enamored by ÷hlins shocks and forks......maybe because they're gold

F1 cars use Sachs shocks not ÷hlins tell you anything?

Dan Kyle, World's largest ÷hlins dealer said if you want 2 shock springs the same......they must be have
the same production code.......what's that tell you?
NO QC ON INCOMING SPRING WIRE......cheap assholes

My neighbor Michael had an Aprilia Haga Replica......the ÷hlins forks were worn out at 1,750mi......
Bushings were done and a lot of the TiN coating was gone ......Chuck Lunde, pulled them apart in front of me
Chuck was on the CZ team with Roger Decoster, so he's been around a while, I bought my Brutale from one of Roger's
sponsors Ivan Bodnar
cruiser likes this.

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 10:47 PM

New Site Garage
See...I knew you'd have a better answer mate !

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 12:01 AM

I too have a low mileage 750 Brutale, bought it with under 2k miles and over the last year doubled the mileage. Loved every minute of it too! What I've learned so far is:

1) I'm 180lbs and the front preload was pretty close by using the specs in the owner's manual. I had to crank the rear adjuster a number of turns...maybe my prior owner was really light weight. I also found one click softer from the spec setting in the owner's manual for the front compression yields a perfect street ride (it was really harsh at the spec setting), while the rear slow speed and high speed compression is fine at the manual specs. I cannot remember my rebound setting off the top of my head. I *think* I am one click firmer(faster) on the front and either at the manual specs in the rear or one click slower(softer).

2) I adjusted the headlight up a little and it made a big difference. The low beam sucks for throwing light down the road but my high beam works well in that department though.

3) Avoid low speed limit roads in the summer...it runs nice and cool at speed or when going like a hooligan.

4) I never noticed a flat spot in mine but I quickly learned to keep the revs on boil between 5-6k. Also, these things sound soooo good swapping up and down the gears...especially the down blip...worth the constant work.

Also my stock air filter was deteriorating so I put in a BMC and I had to repair my "blue" SPU...which I can offer to you if yours ever starts to act up.

-Benjamin-
2004 Brutale 750S

Last edited by Bexar80; 08-08-2018 at 12:12 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 12:09 AM

New Site Garage
Nice one Ben.

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 750s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode