2006 Brutale 910s wont idle runs rough - MVAgusta.net
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

2006 Brutale 910s wont idle runs rough

I touched on this issue in the intro section but wanted to elaborate here.

The issue actually started on a ride directly after setting the front tire back on the ground in first gear. And then coasting into a gas station. The bike started missing and surging and then died. It wouldn't start back up without giving it gas. After a few minutes of trying the low fuel light came on so I filled up. Still wont idle.

This is a long story.

After the 15 min ride home and multiple stalls the exhaust was very hot. I removed the tank and found the original fuel filter from 06 replaced with a metal inline from local parts store as well as the lines in the tank with what they had just to see if I could fix the issue until parts arrived. Also cleaned screen and tank but didn't remove anything else. New spark plugs also.

Ended up hooking battery up backwards. Replace fuse and diode even though it tested good. Bike still ran the same. Side note.. the day before issues I hooked a cigarette lighter with cellphone charger up backwards too. But the problems didn't show up for about an hour of stop and start riding.
Injectors ohm out good, testing coils tonight. Removed SPU twice once just to see what it was and once to look at color of back. After putting it back second time bike runs worse.

I dont know if I even have a question at the moment, still testing. Pretty sure it's the SPU. Since I have been waiting for this bike for 14 years and only owned it a week 1/2 I think I just need some comforting words and reassurances.

Thanks for listening.
Attached Images

2006 Brutale 910s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 07:31 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I see you have an old KingQuad hiding in the corner. That's a keeper!

This all started after a wheelie? Based on that tid-bit I would guess a loose electrical connector. Have you checked the connections at the dash? The dash plays an integral part in the system. And those old SPUs are infamous for strange bugs.

It's a great bike once you sort it out. Just remember: "It's always something simple. Just not always simple to find."

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
I see you have an old KingQuad hiding in the corner. That's a keeper!

This all started after a wheelie? Based on that tid-bit I would guess a loose electrical connector. Have you checked the connections at the dash? The dash plays an integral part in the system. And those old SPUs are infamous for strange bugs.

It's a great bike once you sort it out. Just remember: "It's always something simple. Just not always simple to find."
I haven't checked the dash wiring yet. I will look at it when I get home. I read a little about the rear wheel bearing and the SPU issues but what else should I know about the Brutale. The four-wheeler in the picture is one I got stuck working on for someone but I have one a little newer. New quads are about the size of a jeep. I dont know how ppl get around trees in a tight trail.

2006 Brutale 910s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 07:59 AM
Old Wing Nut

After the hub and SPU there is only the headlight glass....make dang sure it has been re-glued securely.

The old King Quad is a good machine. I know them well, although I personally hate the ATVs. Dangerous as hell and their owners have been the cause of many riding areas being closed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

So I have somewhat of an update on my Brutale. I broke down and hauled it 4-1/2 hours away to a dealership in Virginia to have them look at it. They said the throttle position sensor and the regulator in the alternator were bad. I question the TP sensor and think it may have been from me unplugging it but they said it wouldn't adjust. They also said the TP sensor isnt available from dealer any more and they would have to find one.
Fast forward 2 weeks and they say maybe the regulator isnt bad after all and the alternator gets its signal to excite from the PCU and it could be a bad PCU. They had to get info from manufacturer on how to test PCU because it's not in manual.
Fast forward 1 week...no response to email. They never answer their phone so I dont even try anymore.
A few days later. Labor day. A few more days later I received email. Shop burnt to ground on Labor day. Owner of shop says he will let me know something after investigation is complete. WTF
A few days later on Sat. 5 days after fire I drive down. They say I cant see bike and they cant give me any info on its condition. Oh forgot to mention they were open. Apparently the fire was in one bay of garage so the parts and sales were open and service closed. I'm about to leave and decide to ask if I could look at their used inventory out behind building. I had a hunch my bike was actually stored outside and not in the shop. The sales guy decided that he should be a little (hes 4ft tall 70lbs wet) prick and brought up the fact that the dealer I bought the bike from had called and said they weren't responding to my calls. I saw red and left in a cussing rage while threatening to call police.
I ended up just filing a claim with my insurance since I figured the police wouldn't be able to help in a civil matter. Now my insurance is supposed to figure out what's going on.

2 weeks later and still no news from anyone. Not sure if I have a bike or not. Thanks for listening

2006 Brutale 910s
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 12:57 PM
Old Wing Nut

WTF !!???!!

What kind of shade tree dealer did you take it to in VA? I know a lot of the Virginia (and WV) motorcycle dealers. Who was it?

If the bike belongs to you they cannot refuse to let you see it, or let you take it away. I'm not sure what the insurance company will do. Think I would have had a lawyer calling them.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 01:53 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Wow - wtf. I would be a bit put out that they wouldn't let me see the bike. I can understand if the building is unsafe and they can't let you in due to fire damage...but - doesn't the investigator have pictures you can view?

I'd ask for the insurance investigators number. Your insurance will be able to get more done probably, on your behalf legally.

Keep us posted, and I am heartbroken for you.

2010 Brutale 990R - 1994 Elefant 900 - 2006 KTM 450EXC Street Legal
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
WTF !!???!!

What kind of shade tree dealer did you take it to in VA? I know a lot of the Virginia (and WV) motorcycle dealers. Who was it?

If the bike belongs to you they cannot refuse to let you see it, or let you take it away. I'm not sure what the insurance company will do. Think I would have had a lawyer calling them.
As far as I know it's the only dealer that sells Mv's. At least it's the only one I found from their website. I had an uneasy feeling when I left it there but I didn't follow my intuition. I just now calmed down enough to be able to post about it. It made me sick just thinking about it. They said it would only be a couple days. I dropped it off August 11th. The fire occurred September 3rd

Once things are figured out and the smoke clears (pun intended) I will post up the emails from dealer and their name. It's the most unprofessional business I've ever had the displeasure of using.

2006 Brutale 910s
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcn View Post
Wow - wtf. I would be a bit put out that they wouldn't let me see the bike. I can understand if the building is unsafe and they can't let you in due to fire damage...but - doesn't the investigator have pictures you can view?

I'd ask for the insurance investigators number. Your insurance will be able to get more done probably, on your behalf legally.

Keep us posted, and I am heartbroken for you.
I dont know how I would ever get their insurance adjuster's number since they wont give me any info about anything. I dont think my insurance adjuster could even get ahold of anyone. Then again I haven't heard from him this week either. And the fire marshal hasnt sent me the report yet either. The fact that it's taking so long makes me wonder if it was arson or most likely a drunk employee since it happened Sat night at 4am

2006 Brutale 910s
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 02:24 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVnFast View Post
I dont know how I would ever get their insurance adjuster's number since they wont give me any info about anything. I dont think my insurance adjuster could even get ahold of anyone. Then again I haven't heard from him this week either. And the fire marshal hasnt sent me the report yet either. The fact that it's taking so long makes me wonder if it was arson or most likely a drunk employee since it happened Sat night at 4am
Well if you have the fire marshals number that may be your best bet on getting information. Has he promised to send the report?

Keep on your insurance rep, maybe even calling corporate to get some attention on the issue. The fact you cant get any information on your bike is a bit maddening - it's either burnt up, or it is not. At which point your insurance should pay out to you, you sue the shop for being a pain in the ass, and your insurance gets their money from the shop insurance company that covers the fire.

2010 Brutale 990R - 1994 Elefant 900 - 2006 KTM 450EXC Street Legal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode