4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 04:25 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 04:27 AM

New Site Garage
Buck,

Mine's a 2009 1078RR. I'm going from memory and didn't check. Whatever, replace the 3 with heavy duty (5/6mm) cable. You'll need to take the tank off and disconnect the wires from the frame and starter motor to check length and terminal size if you're making your own. I'll take photos and measurements of the one's I replaced and the new ones under the seat and pm them to you when I get the chance. I'll also post them here for others. Probably Sunday.

Cheers

Deano
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 10:16 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
As for the ammeter connection for testing starter current draw.... In series between battery negative cable and battery is best. Across main fuse does not show starter draw, as it is not in the fused circuit.

An inductive ammeter that clamps around the battery cable is best type, and a lot less expensive than one requiring insertion into the circuit.
theknurl likes this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

esq'z me, wonder if my electronic measure-it-all will work here? aka won't be fried. Need to read its specs. You said I need to monitor values that change rapidly, perhaps that does call for an analog device.

Just bought the made in Deutschland wire, 10 mm≤, we'll see how it goes. Will be doing some other maintenance soon so that's when the tank is going to come off. Yay! So I'm replacing the two long wires on the left, positive and negative and one short positive wire between the battery and the solenoid.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 03:20 AM
Not sure if this will help, but my 1090R had a very similar issue when I bought it. Turns out the starter soleneoid connector was corroded and melted in a few spots from poor contact. Took a small file, cleaned it up, put dielectric grease all over the pins and inside the connector and it works great now. Fires up every time, even when hot.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 03:22 AM
Sorry , should have said starter RELAY, not solenoid. The relay is under the seat and has a small jumper cables right from the battery to it.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

CDNBrutale1090R thanks for the info, mine was completely replaced last year so the problem is elsewhere.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 11:24 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
@CDNBrutale1090R Starter relay or solenoid...same thing, different names.

@Buck I doubt your "multi-meter" has an Amperage scale/capability more than 10 or 20 amps. To measure starter current you will need a high amperage meter. Clamp on inductive types are easy to use and reasonably priced. Like this one:

DC400: 400A DC Mini Clamp Meter | Extech Instruments

It is only a rapid drop from the start-up current draw to continuous. A digital meter is fine. Starting current will be very high as the armature is energized and has to overcome stationary condition, once spinning less energy is required to continue spinning. So initial start-up current will be over 200 amps, dropping to around 90 once the starter is spinning.

I don'y know the exact numbers for your bike, but those are comparable to what I have seen on most other brands (Big V-Twins frequently have higher current demands).

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 06:37 AM

New Site Garage
Ladies,

Negative from battery to frame 550mm long. Positive from solenoid to starter motor 700mm long. Positive from battery to solenoid you can measure yourself. I went from the standard 3mm core wire to 5mm core. All connection terminals are 6.5mm diameter (hole diameter). Unable to upload photos at the moment, site playing up.

Cheers

Deano
theknurl likes this.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

I bought three meters of this
| HELUKABEL
and several of these
https://catalogo.bm-group.com/doc.asp?f=047.pdf (BM 004311)

and scheduled works for Thursday so hopefully it all goes well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode