The Curious Case of the Intermittent Turn Signals - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

The Curious Case of the Intermittent Turn Signals

Hey All,

It's been ages since I posted. I have a 2006 Brutale 910R. I've noticed the blinkers come on randomly when I'm in a higher gear (over third). It's not me bumping the switch or forgetting I had turned the signals off and then noticing they're on, but general weirdness. Weirder still is when I press the turn signal off, the blinkers come on again. I thought it could possible be a loose connection and during higher speeds, the bike shaking would rattle the connection and cause it to come on. But, I've been on butt-smooth roads, speeding, and the blinkers going all poltergeist on me. Any clues?

MB

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." Charles Bukowski
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 07:10 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Sounds like the infamous SPU !!!! Do you have the updated part on your bike?

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Oh, I've already replaced the SPU. I just think I have the Edsel of the Brutale series. There's always something wrong with this bike. Is the turn signal on its own relay? Can the part be upgraded or modded?

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." Charles Bukowski
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 02:33 PM
Old Wing Nut

The turn signal relay is part of the SPU. When did you replace it??? They were upgraded in 2007 I think. Look at the back. What color is it? Blue or Black??

I would look carefully at the left handlebar switch if you have the newer SPU. Perhaps you have some corrosion or conductive junk in it???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

I replaced the SPU a few months ago. BUT, the new SPU was a part of a long resurrection of my bike that had been in storage for years. Ah, divorce. Good call on the corrosion suggestion. Gonna check on it today.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 05:52 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

Anthony;
I have a left side switch, want to try it?
It's only one plug

I'm in Redondo Beach, bring your Brutale on down

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Noel,
I didn't get your message until late last night. I got called in to work and still haven't checked the switch. Can I PM you later in the week to meet on a weekend?

Anthony

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Noel, Ed,

Sorry for the late response. I checked the turn signal switch, no corrosion. Not trusting myself, I drove my ass out to the dealer to have them check it. They could not "replicate" the circumstances I described. They did however state it might be the (turn signal) relay. Thoughts?

Tony

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 08:42 PM
Old Wing Nut

The turn signal relay is part of the SPU....

What dealer is this? Surely they know that???

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Perhaps the confusion is on my part. I interpreted "Flasher Box" (as written on the dealer's assessment) as the turn signal relay because I thought there's no way there's a part with this kind of stupid name to it. So...there really is a Flasher Box?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode