potential indicaor switch failure - MVAgusta.net
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

potential indicaor switch failure

People,

I have an F4 750 2000 model which is rarely used.

The indicators flash with the alarm (when I arm and disarm the alarm) but sometimes annoyingly not when operating the handlebar switch. When in the 'failed' state none of the indicators flash and the indicator does not flash on the dash

I assume the switch is getting old. I have sprayed in some switch cleaning lubricant which sometimes helps. I would appreciate thoughts on what may be causing this.

Cheers

Sub

When my Dad and I first laid our eyes on an MV Agusta at the UK launch, we were simply blown away.................

Last edited by Submariner; 06-23-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 11:14 AM
Established Member

Hi. If you want to change, i have the swicth (used) in perfect conditon, pm me if interesting
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

thanks mate, does this sound like it could be a faulty switch issue though

When my Dad and I first laid our eyes on an MV Agusta at the UK launch, we were simply blown away.................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

guys,

I would appreciate any more thoughts on this thread please? Can I ask if there is a 'flasher unit' that controls the flashing of the indicators. I am beginning to think it would not be the switch on the handlebars

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:34 AM

Flasher relay.

F4 750 with Brutale 910S motor
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Viggn, do we know if they are prone to causing such a failure

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:17 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Hi @Submariner

If the indicators flash when you arm or disarm the alarm my thinking would be the flasher relay is working, as are the all the indicators/bulbs wiring etc. This would strongly suggest to me it is the switch. My first action would be to check the switch wiring and operation using a multimeter.

HTH
esq'z me likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Based in Rutland UK.

2015 Brutale 800RR
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Brutale, my thoughts were that perhaps the alarm module provided the flashing function

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 05:13 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Good point, would need an alarm guy to confirm or otherwise.

Assuming that the fault is not caused by loose connection or chaffed wire my further thoughts are these: In my experience flasher relays fail. Switches wear and develop intermittent faults before failing. Your switch is 19 years old, so it has to be the prime suspect and is where I would start, but like all electronic/electrical faults - you never cease to be surprised.

Good luck with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Based in Rutland UK.

2015 Brutale 800RR
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:53 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
The alarm does not activate the flashers independent of the relay (called the intermittance in MV parlance). Therefore I believe the problem is not the relay.

You can easily check the switch with an ohmmeter.... There is a connection diagram and instruction for the switch in the Chassis Workshop Manual. You should see near zero resistance on the 2 contacts (3 wires).

Activate with meter connected multiple times in each direction to confirm minimal and consistent resistance each time. More than 1 ohm would indicate corrosion on the contacts.

You may be able to disassemble the switch to clean the contacts if you like working with small things.
Brutale800RR likes this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode