Design Corse rear hub failure - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By mitchy
  • 2 Post By mitchy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Design Corse rear hub failure

Anyone had one fail? Axle moved to the right and the sprocket carrier rubbed the face of the hub. Also ruined the "hat shaped" spacer that's right after the sprocket carrier. Failure was because of the central spacer between the bearings. It's aluminum.. why? It's shorter than it used to be. One face is mushroomed and grooves are cut or imprinted into both faces where the bearing races used to contact it. I can't tell if it's because the bearings spun against it or if it's just crushed. Maybe it became crushed first, allowing the stack of bearings and spacers to become so loose that it allowed the bearings to spin against it. All 3 bearings still look good. So, it looks like the spacer was the culprit. I've torqued the nut 3 times in the last, each time to the prescribed 200-220Nm. The only way I see this happening is if I over-torqued or if this spacer is a piece of crap because it's made of aluminum. Has anyone else had this aluminum spacer problem?

...I thought posted this already, but I guess I didn't. Sorry of this is a duplicate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 06:34 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink ?

moocowman;
All 1st Gen MVs have an aluminum center spacer, without issues
I only know of 1 needle bearing failure....the inner seal was cut and all the grease went into the center
of the hub

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 10:47 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
I shouldn't say anything but here we go.
My hubs use a aluminium spacer.
Just sold number 202.
How many failures 0.
kevjayney likes this.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 11:19 PM

Thumbs up ?

My confidence in my Mitch Hubs?
Presently approaching 32,000mi on #6 and haven't looked at it yet.....#2 isn't on the road yet (~1,000 test miles)

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 11:25 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Wow,big mileage Noel.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Mobile-0423041326
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 11:26 PM

Thumbs up ?

moocowman;
I'm in Redondo Beach, I have everything to get you back on the road tomorrow by noon, text me!
Everything is installed on a 2nd Gen axle mounted in my vise for you to see
Cash is King

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Last edited by theknurl; 06-16-2018 at 11:28 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 11:33 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moocowman View Post
Anyone had one fail? Axle moved to the right and the sprocket carrier rubbed the face of the hub. Also ruined the "hat shaped" spacer that's right after the sprocket carrier. Failure was because of the central spacer between the bearings. It's aluminum.. why? It's shorter than it used to be. One face is mushroomed and grooves are cut or imprinted into both faces where the bearing races used to contact it. I can't tell if it's because the bearings spun against it or if it's just crushed. Maybe it became crushed first, allowing the stack of bearings and spacers to become so loose that it allowed the bearings to spin against it. All 3 bearings still look good. So, it looks like the spacer was the culprit. I've torqued the nut 3 times in the last, each time to the prescribed 200-220Nm. The only way I see this happening is if I over-torqued or if this spacer is a piece of crap because it's made of aluminum. Has anyone else had this aluminum spacer problem?

...I thought posted this already, but I guess I didn't. Sorry of this is a duplicate.
Sorry to hear about your failure,but it seems like the sprocket nut has been under tensioned to start with and that is when the damage has occurred,then you have re-tensioned the nut and caused the spacer to collapse further.If the stack is tensioned correctly the aluminium spacer will do its job just fine.It all rotates as one piece.
theknurl and theknurl like this.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Mobile-0423041326
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

I should have taken the hub apart earlier to service it. I might have noticed the damaged spacers. The times I've had it apart, I've only rolled the bearings to make sure they're not binding or making noise. Noel, thanks for the offer. I had my machinist turn some new steel spacers for me. I suppose it doesn't matter what material it is. If it spins, any type of material will get damaged. I try to analyze what caused it, but i guess that doesn't matter neither. Important lesson I've learned. Watch the gap behind the sprocket carrier and inspect the hub every time I have the wheel off.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Funny, we were supposed to go to the Redondo Pier for seafood today, but too many people flaked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode