1090RR (2010 model) - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Question 1090RR (2010 model)

Hi all, recently had a full service on my Brutale (shims etc) and since I have had nothing but problems.

1st the temperature gauge went to 100% and the fan came on (on ride home). Sensor replaced.

1st run out battery goes flat (with the service and sensor it had been sitting in the workshop for more than 4 weeks and not on trickle charge). Recovery say it is not charging and I get recovered on a truck.

Trickle charge it overnight and ride it to the workshop. Workshop replace the battery with a new one. Say is charging ok 14v.

1st run breaks down again same as before - all electrics fail, engine dies and then won't start. Get recovered again

Put it back on trickle charger overnight and ride it to the workshop.

Latest diagnosis is that it is the regulator/rectifier. and 2 week wait as it needs to come from Italy. And no guarantee as they say it could have burnt out other things. Also no idea why it burnt out in the first place?

Any ideas anyone? I am going to go down to the workshop to see it and discuss it before authorizing the work.

Any advice gratefully received.

btw, After dropping the bike off yesterday at the workshop I got on a bus to go home and that broke down too. Recovered again but this time not at my cost!

MV Augusta Brutale 1090RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 12:21 PM

New Site Garage
Send a message via MSN to gotfolk Send a message via Skype™ to gotfolk
You might want to find a priest...

There just might be a curse on you
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 12:26 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
And it was running fine before you left it to have a major service??? This is important information. How many miles on your Brutale?

Is this a real MV dealer with qualified techs? (of course, being an MV dealer doesn't always mean qualified techs).

Was it the original battery (that would now be 7 years old)?

I have real suspicions that you are not getting competent workmanship. If it was charging just fine at 2nd breakdown (battery failed due to their not maintaining it whilst in their possession?) then I highly doubt the rectifier.

And was it the temp sensor in the first place, or just not proper bleeding of the cooling system after pulling the radiator to check the valves (how many were out of spec, by the way?).

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 03:22 PM

Time to get another service tech. They haven’t even taken the time to road test after work done. That would have shown the battery issue.
At the very least, they should have disconnected the battery whilst it was sitting around waiting for parts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Was it running ok before the service. It was layed up for winter on a trickle charger as usual in my garage. I took it in for the service at end of Feb so its all been rattling on since then. It was fine at the end of autumn before this.

Real MV dealer. No, unfortunately the two any where near local MV dealers have both shut up shop and others are miles away. With the valves and a dealer needing the bike the day before to cool down etc etc I was persuaded buy a local dealer that they could do the job.

They got a new sensor and convinced me that the coolant system was ok. I saw the old part.

Two exhaust values were tight and one inlet. 16,000 miles. It was the first time they were checked as the MV dealer had said not to bother on previous services.

I am with you on the battery but it was 7 years old, original was replaced after a year with a quality one.

My main worry is what caused the rectifier to burn out and could there be any more damage. I have no choice to replace it now but am unsure what else I could be letting myself in for or if it could happen again.

The dealer is not offering any guarantees that just replacing the rectifier will sort it.

Mark

MV Augusta Brutale 1090RR
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 06:28 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
There is nothing magic about an MV electrical or mechanical system. Aside from wire color codes, everything works the same as any other bike out there. Yes, even Japanese. The charging system is Japanese made.

If it was running OK when you parked it, and since the mechanic touched it you have begun having problems, I would be suspicious of his skills.

I'll give the battery a pass, since 7 years is about all you can expect from a properly serviced quality battery. 8 years is my experience. Would like to test that coolant temp sensor. There is a test for it. My guess is he sold that to you to cover his failure to bleed the cooling system.

There is a test for the rectifier too. Fairly simple test.

I hope they sort you out and everything is good going forward.

By the way...24K miles on my 910R and no valve shims changed yet. Most shim under bucket valve trains on street bikes (race bikes don't count) will go 30~40k and longer without need to change a shim.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)

Tags
1090, brutale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode