ENG - Crankshaft Error - 2012 Brutale 1090RR - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

ENG - Crankshaft Error - 2012 Brutale 1090RR

Hey All,

Went for a ride today and the engine stalled a few times. Finally got a fault message and got in on the GoPro. ENG - Crankshaft. Turned bike off and back on and she runs. Think it’s the crankshaft sensor?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 06:03 PM

New Site Garage
If the rpm goes low I think you will get that error. We see that error with sprag clutch issues in the 3 cyl platform. In our case it is a false error. I would look at other causes of stalling or low rpm.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjawed View Post
If the rpm goes low I think you will get that error. We see that error with sprag clutch issues in the 3 cyl platform. In our case it is a false error. I would look at other causes of stalling or low rpm.
I’ve had the stall happen in 3rd gear around 4K and it cuts out for a second and then fires back up. Similar to your issue or just low RPM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 09:05 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink ????

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltsanwich View Post
Iíve had the stall happen in 3rd gear around 4K and it cuts out for a second and then fires back up. Similar to your issue or just low RPM?
airjawed;
Try reading what he posted......his problem is at 4,000rpm......
Yours is at cranking speed
Your conjectures are annoying

The Cripples are nothing but issues......go back over the the 3 cylinder section and try to figure out
how a drain plug seals

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 09:18 PM

Thumbs up ?

eltsanwich;
Try disconnecting the crank sensor and adding some dielectric grease on the pins and sockets and make
sure the plug latches back together firmly.....
The sensor has no moving parts, so either it works or doesn't, now the electrical connections are a different story
Try zip tying the connector firmly to the frame....that will eliminate a possible harmonic/amplitude problem

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 09:38 PM

New Site Garage
I wasn't responding to eltsanwich last post. He responded after me... unless it shows differently in your thread sequence. I was responding to OP's original which didn't say 4K

If it is a low rpm stall then my response is it isn't the crank sensor and possibly a false.

If it is stalling at 4K then must investigate the sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
airjawed;
Try reading what he posted......his problem is at 4,000rpm......
Yours is at cranking speed
Your conjectures are annoying

The Cripples are nothing but issues......go back over the the 3 cylinder section and try to figure out
how a drain plug seals

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 11:33 PM

Thumbs up ????

Quote:
I wasn't responding to eltsanwich last post. He responded after me... unless it shows differently in your thread sequence. I was responding to OP's original which didn't say 4K

If it is a low rpm stall then my response is it isn't the crank sensor and possibly a false.

If it is stalling at 4K then must investigate the sensor.
You just don't get it do you?.....
It's a passive pickup with no moving parts, it senses the passing of the phonic wheel.......either it works or it doesn't
The wiring is another thing......

Your problem with the Cripples is they went cheap......
Batteries
Sprag clutches
Alternators
Welding
And then they piled on the electronic bullshit

Enjoy your Cripple.....I was offered a killer deal on a TV by a friend with dealership ......I thank God I didn't buy the POS

My '08 Brutale 910R has 35,000+ mi .....used 2 low beam bulbs, the thermister for the low fuel light failed and the pin for the
side stand spring wore through, stock battery went 8 years, still on the original chain and sprockets
It gets ridden 365 days a year unless it's pouring rain

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 03:25 AM

Quote:
It's a passive pickup with no moving parts, it senses the passing of the phonic wheel.......either it works or it doesn't
That's not 100% true, no moving parts is correct, but many crank sensors have a progressive failure, heat being one prime example. The sensor works when it is cold, as it heats up it starts to drift, miss pulses, or affect the duration / shape of the pulse leading to the ecu displaying an error. I've had this on race bikes (gsxr, zx) and cars albeit vauxhalls (opels).

as @knurl suggested wiring would also be my first port of call as its the mechanical but of electronics that tends to fail first, then the internal mechanical structure of the sensor.

Arron

----------------------------------------
2015 MV F4, ABS
ECU Mapped with ECUstudio
QS & Blipper working with ECUstudio

others
GSXR 1000
GSXR 750
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansoarr View Post
That's not 100% true, no moving parts is correct, but many crank sensors have a progressive failure, heat being one prime example. The sensor works when it is cold, as it heats up it starts to drift, miss pulses, or affect the duration / shape of the pulse leading to the ecu displaying an error. I've had this on race bikes (gsxr, zx) and cars albeit vauxhalls (opels).
Quote:
The wiring is another thing......
So I disconnected the sensor and I am measuring 645 in its current state. I could have swore I read in a manual that had the impedance range specs but I cannot for the life of me find that. Do you guys have that info?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 03:13 PM

New Site Garage
The range is 680-700 for resistance and a gap of 0.6-0.7 at the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltsanwich View Post
So I disconnected the sensor and I am measuring 645 in its current state. I could have swore I read in a manual that had the impedance range specs but I cannot for the life of me find that. Do you guys have that info?

Last edited by airjawed; 03-22-2018 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Typo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode