Alarm replacement - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Alarm replacement

Ok so my F3 repair is on hold until the parts get here so I turned my attention to the 2011 F4. Installed all the panels, headlight and "new" clutch and then the drama.

When I turn the ignition the alarm goes ballistic. Now I stand there looking at it cause when I got it on auction there was no FOB given to me and Like an @$$ I never really thought about it.

I've just looked for a replacement alarm but the only ones I see are from MV and not the datatool one installed. So I come to the temple of MV knowledge to ask the following -

1.Any idea where to get a replacement datatool alarm (please don't say visit a technician cause the local MV distributor is the only I know of over here)
2.Should I even bother going back to datatool cause I've read some hairy things about them, not sure if true or not.
3.Can I just rip it out and use bubblegum instead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 09:04 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Based on the issues with Datatool Alarms, I would simply remove it.

Gapalicious 2020 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from Sept. 23-Sept.27, 2020

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Heres the issue. It's wired to the harness as far as I can see. If I rip it out the bike wont run, hence me looking for a similar one, but there isn't even a model number on the thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 02:38 AM

New Site Garage
Removal is your best bet. It's a laborious task but tracing all wires back to the loom and then de-splicing, matching wire colour codes, soldering with heat shrink over.

Alternatively, if you can ID the model download the instructions from the datatool website. You should be able to order spare fobs. I know that datatool alarms have an internal rechargeable battery, if this goes flat, or terminally bad, it will do as you describe with the alarm sounding when you turn on the ignition.

Whilst alarms are a total PIA I've had three datatools on three different bikes. Only the first was troublesome and that was down to a poor instalation,the real bane of most alarm issues IMHO.

My worst experience was with the POS MV alarm that I had fitted to my TVL. Lasted two weeks before dying, dealer removed and refunded.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Good lord, that sound's like I could fry something. WIll probably look for a used datatool and cut and splice close to the alarm itself or replace with a different harness,
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 12:37 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav777 View Post
Good lord, that sound's like I could fry something. WIll probably look for a used datatool and cut and splice close to the alarm itself or replace with a different harness,
If it's anything like the datatool I had on my VFR you should be able to unscrew and separate the case and then unplug the harness from the mother board, just plug your harness into the new unit. That's if you find the right model. maybe elicit the help of Datatool themselves?

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 07:53 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
The issue with the F4 alarms apart from the usual battery drainage is the location. MV located the datatool alarm under the seat so directly above the exhaust. The only protection is a thin piece of plastic so the alarm cooks over time and immobilises the bike once itís failed. The best option is to remove it but if youíre really tied to it then fit some effective heat shielding underneath it.
The wiring was epoxied into the body of the unit that I had so making swapping it out difficult. If the fobs can be reprogrammed Iíve got a couple spare for you.

09 F4 312 1000
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farshore View Post
The issue with the F4 alarms apart from the usual battery drainage is the location. MV located the datatool alarm under the seat so directly above the exhaust. The only protection is a thin piece of plastic so the alarm cooks over time and immobilises the bike once itís failed. The best option is to remove it but if youíre really tied to it then fit some effective heat shielding underneath it.
The wiring was epoxied into the body of the unit that I had so making swapping it out difficult. If the fobs can be reprogrammed Iíve got a couple spare for you.
Thanks for the offer but is it possible to programme fob's without the original? I'm noe faced with 3 options

1. Wing it and see how I can remove the alarm by tracing the cables and pray I dont damage anything.
2. buy complete harness and replace
3. Take it to OEM and pray they dont rip me a new one when removing the alarm.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

So, after tinkering with the F3 I finally got around to the F4 and did some tracing the cables and removed the f****ing thing. re-attehed the cables and bam she's up and running.

The datatool is laying on the floor but if anyone here is interested in it, you can have it.

Last edited by dav777; 03-14-2018 at 02:33 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 04:45 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
I had an issue with the Datatool 3 alarm on my Aprilia RSV - the alarm would just randomly activate and the only way to stop it was to disconnect the battery. The alarm had been professionaly installed and I was reluctant to have to strip out and make good all the wiring. I looked online and found this solution -

I just removed the circuit board from the alarm bridged the terminals with the two cut off ends of a large gauge paper clip and replaced the alarm cover. Works a treat and wiring etc left untouched.

Colin

2015 Rivale
2005 Aprilia RSV Factory

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode