Valve clearances F4 who adjusted - MVAgusta.net
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Valve clearances F4 who adjusted

Just a quick question re: valve clearances for those who have checked them did anyone find they had gone out of spec enough to warrant re-shimming or have they been found to be in spec ?

If adjusted could you post mileage the adjustment was carried out.

Purely out of interest as most bikes I have had very rarely needed adjustment unless it was one of the Bloor Triumphs which seem to need doing at 12k then after that stay in spec.

Keep your MV in good repair: motorcycle boots are not designed for walking.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 02:37 PM

New Site Garage
Checked at 24500 km and all within spec and can chain + tensioner all fine.

What a beast of a motorcycle!
It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

Skye I miss you. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 09:25 AM

When mine comes up to the service interval I'll do it with Bennetts of Barnsley. I don't think I'll bother after that and I doubt if they will need adjusting then if the dyno I had recently is anything to go by.... Does an out of adjustment valve show itself on the dyno ?
joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 09:30 AM

On a cold morning after a long lay off, I can find a little difficulty getting my F4 leg over.... I don't imagine Brutie riders have same trouble, not with all those hours of ballet flexibility training ...............
drmasis and esq'z me like this.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 02:13 PM
Established Member

I checked mine on my 2007 F4 at around 8,000 miles and they were all fine.

Eric
AgustaRod and AgustaRod like this.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 04:20 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustaRod View Post
Just a quick question re: valve clearances for those who have checked them did anyone find they had gone out of spec enough to warrant re-shimming or have they been found to be in spec ?

If adjusted could you post mileage the adjustment was carried out.

Purely out of interest as most bikes I have had very rarely needed adjustment unless it was one of the Bloor Triumphs which seem to need doing at 12k then after that stay in spec.
Chris at x bikes did mine, think the front part of the frame needs to come off in order to do them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KLEIN
XTZ 1200
1078RR
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 09:43 AM

I did mine as per the MV manual. And even tho they were not out of spec, I still shimmed all of them to the maximum feeler guage spec allowable. Did that at 6000km and never had to worry about it again.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissinn View Post
I did mine as per the MV manual. And even tho they were not out of spec, I still shimmed all of them to the maximum feeler guage spec allowable. Did that at 6000km and never had to worry about it again.
What do you mean? You went to the higher end of the valve clearance tolerance? I am new to this procedure. I have removed the valve cover and am currently taking the measurements. Some seem to be too tight and others are in the middle of the tolerance band. it has been awhile since I have posted to the forum and I hope all are doing well.

Was toying with the idea of selling my MV but after all the low ball offers a potential buyer asked me about if I had had the valves serviced. This person was a knowledgable person and told me the job would cost around 1000-2000 dollars. He then offered me 5000 dollars for my MV!!

Well, being as my bike only has 18000 miles and I was not about to give her away, I began to do this job myself. Well, It is a learning experience, but I am going down the Rabbit Hole, and now it seems that I am going to have to do the shim procedure outlined in the manuals and various threads.

If you could please point me in the right direction for photos, videos or step by step instructions done by other members, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you
Attached Images

James M.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 07:24 PM

You want to have the maximum allowable space between the cam and the bucket. Because valve seats wear over time and this is what closes the gap between bucket and cam. It's an easy job but you need to have good quality angled feeler gauges and a soft touch. Get a feel for resistance and make sure its uniform on every check you do. Don't be afraid to give each bucket a spray of brake cleaner to make sure its clean clean clean!
Good luck!

Ex Silentium Adveho Nex
The Following User Says Thank You to swissinn For This Useful Post:
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 04:57 AM

You are going well there. To make maximum space around the valve cover, on my later model I removed the header tank and the inlet manifolds.
It makes the resealing of the valve cover easier too.
Make sure you have good quality sockets and Allen keys, if you haven’t had these parts open before, they will be very tight.

In my garage: 2011 Brutale 1090RR, Triumph Street Triple R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode