Cam Chain Replacement - MVAgusta.net
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Cam Chain Replacement

G'day All,
How critical is it to change the cam chain at 30,000 km? Seems a rather low figure compared to other engines. Is it a complete engine tear down to change it? I cant see where in the engine manual it gives the procedure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 06:37 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Depends on how hard you flog your bike and how clean you keep your oil. It is a roller chain, just like the drive chain. You can measure the stretch and determine wear if concerned.

As for replacement, I do believe it can be done engine in frame, just remove cams. You will need a chain breaker/riveter made for a cam chain.

The replacement chain is available open with an "master" link. I'm sure someone here has done this (or maybe had it done?).

I do not plan on replacing my cam chain so soon...actually, I already exceeded 30,000 km anyway.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 09:26 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs down ?

Don't think you can do it that way Ed.....
Look at page B85 of the engine manual
The Dagos built differential gearing into the idler gear.....so the timing marks on
The idler gear only align after many revolutions of the crank.....
And they don't say how many

AND IT'S NOT AT TDC
So you can't take the cams out, they'd need to be locked in place before the chain is cut
I don't know if there's room between the idler sprocket and the crank to fish a new chain through there

Aprilia RSVRs do the same stupid thing and it's 34 revolutions of the crank

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Last edited by theknurl; 10-25-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 09:57 PM
Old Wing Nut

I think you can..... Yes, I know there is the idler gear driving the cam chain.

Set the crank at TDC #1. Remove the cam chain tensioner and cams, break the chain, fish the new chain through by pulling it with the old chain, rivet the chain, install and time the cams, install the tensioner.

Never turn the crank until time to check the timing to make sure you got it right. The idler gear is irrelevant.

I'll bet you $100 and a case of beer I can do it (having done similar on many old bikes with roller cam chains).

You supply the bike and parts. I'll supply the time and tools (yes, I have the proper cam chain breaker/riveter tool). If it doesn't work I will pay for the additional parts to split the cases and finish the job.

But to answer his original question.... I don't think he needs to replace the timing chain at 30,000 km ......do you?

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 11:05 PM

Thumbs up ?

No......not with 56,000km on mine

But looking at the picture on page B82 doesn't look like there is much clearance between the
sprocket and the crank

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 11:43 PM

Talking ?

Up date, just tried it on a motor with the cams out......

Used bent welding rod to try and push the chain down below the sprocket, didn't work

Don't want your beer or money

Attached Images

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks blokes. I'm familiar with differential gearing, also known as a hunting tooth. The timing part doesn't bother me too much, I work on my Ferrari and Vincents. Given that I ride the MV 'sedately', and change the oil regularly, I think that I can probably let it go a little longer. The breaking and riveting the chain would make it a lot simpler. Thanks again.
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 07:00 AM
Old Wing Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
Up date, just tried it on a motor with the cams out......

Used bent welding rod to try and push the chain down below the sprocket, didn't work

Don't want your beer or money

Surprising....wonder why they offer the open chain then?

Well, not planning on trying it on my bikes either....not anytime soon anyway.

Thanks Noel.

post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 07:28 PM

All three of my Brutales have had the cam change replaced using the split chain provided by MV. You should play safe and do the tensioner at the same time, I know from experience the chain will snap if the tensioner gives up.... The guides are also supposed to be replaced with the chain.

I don't know exactly how my mechanic did it but the 1090 was done at about 72000km and the 910 at 60something. Think he said the 1090 was a bit tired and should probably have been done sooner, but that was 30000km ago now!
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 09:01 PM

Thumbs up ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Surprising....wonder why they offer the open chain then?

Well, not planning on trying it on my bikes either....not anytime soon anyway.

Thanks Noel.
Ed;
For people that don't have the riveting tool, or can't rivet

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in