Dead Brutale 910S - won't start - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thumbs down Dead Brutale 910S - won't start

Any thoughts anyone?
Riding home late last night, stopped at a set of lights and the bike died, wouldn't restart. The only slightly odd thing was when I turned the ignition off and back on the fan was running flat chat. It was a warm night, around 25C just after midnight, but the bike wasn't running particularly hot. Fortunately I was only half a klick from home so MV's finest got pushed the rest of the way.
Working on the theory that the last thing I touched/disturbed is likely to be the source of my problem I'm thinking fuel supply issue, the only slightly confusing thing is that the bike has been fine until now and I've gone through a tank and a half of fuel since replacing the 90 degree quick connects and external fuel lines. No evidence whatsoever of fuel starvation.
This morning the beast is still as dead as a Dodo, the fuel pump is priming and there is bubbling in the tank which I'm not convinced I've noticed before. I've lifted the tank and the new hoses aren't kinked. With a torch I can see the front of the fuel pump base plate and assembly and the bubbling isn't coming from there, or the 90 degree hose which comes off the pressure reg. I'm going to try a mirror next to see if I can get a better view but before I dive in and remove the pump I was wondering if I'm missing something more obvious.
All fuses have continuity when checked in situ, I haven't pulled any to check for dry connections as the 80/20 rule tells me it will be something related to my replacing the dry breaks and hoses. FWIW, the EFI hose came in pre cut 2 foot lengths which I used without shortening, I did originally think maybe it had got hot and crimped over because it was too long but it looked OK this morning and obviously the bike still won't start/run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 10:15 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I would bet the hose from the pump to the base has popped off.

Happened to me once riding down the highway in a rainstorm.... I'm convinced Gina was mad at me for getting her wet.

Also happened once when I had just reassembled the tank and filled it with gas. Started once and then would not start again. My fault, I didn't secure the hose properly.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

I think you're on the money, I can just see the top of the pump and it looks like the hose has popped off. I have a fuel pump assembly I bought a while back from a forum member who was parting out his bike. When I received it I replaced the hoses and filter with the intention of doing a 1 for 1 at some convenient point, looks like 'now' is that convenient point!

Looking in the tank has also revealed something else, the green viton o ring is doing sweet FA, half of it has popped and is sitting in the fuel. What scares me a little is there is evidence of red gloop around the base of the fuel pump so I've a strong suspicion that a leaking base plate has been bodged at some point. This could be a 5 minute job that turns into an effing nightmare.

I reused the clic-r fasteners when I replaced the hose on my spare pump, I think I'll be replacing them with some good quality stainless threaded clamps before I do the change over. Last night was as much bike pushing exercise as I want for a while, lucky I was so close to home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 01:48 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
I use double ear clamps as shown.Hose will never pop off with these clamps.They stay tight.

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  4.6 KB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike- F4 1078 312rr
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 02:25 AM

New Site Garage
Two o-rings on the base plate. Easily available from most suppliers for not too much. A post from Noel (The Knurl) gives the exact size which are imperial from memory. I'll post again if I can track them.

Cheers

Deano
The Following User Says Thank You to Deano For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks, I'd appreciate that. I'm familiar with the configuration of the O Rings because the second hand unit I bought still had them fitted. Obviously right now I have one O Ring doing the sealing, I'm just hoping that when I undo the fasteners on the base plate they come out without turning the captive nuts. Its the red goop that has me a little worried. Some sealers, I'm assuming that's what it is, are also very effective as glue.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
I use double ear clamps as shown.Hose will never pop off with these clamps.They stay tight.

Attachment 408186
I'm familiar with them but confess I've never used one. Are they crimped on or are they compressed across the 'ears' to install and then flex back into shape?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 03:44 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Yes,both ears are crimped with pliers like the picture shows.You can also use side cutters.

Name:  KNI_Ear_Clamp_10_99_i220_In_Use_2_57615c209bbdf.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  113.7 KB

Bike- F4 1078 312rr
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 10:54 PM

New Site Garage
Couldn't find Noels post. Like looking for a needle in a haystack given the headings of most posts, including mine. I measured my old ones and plus from memory they are 4 7/8" od x 4 5/8" id x 1/8" cross section. Noel if you're watching can you confirm this? If he doesn't answer pm him and he'll confirm or not.

Cheers

Deano
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 11:26 PM

Fuel pump base plate O ring size

Size (Metric) ID 117.07mm
OD Not listed
Width 3.53 mm

(Imperial) ID 4 5/8 inch
OD 4 7/8 inch
Width 1/8 inch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode