Wheel Nut, Hub and axle wrangling for beginners - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Wheel Nut, Hub and axle wrangling for beginners

Well I finally got around to replacing the Hub on my Brutale 910S. I had a spare hub that I had purchased some time ago from a forum member and I replaced the roller bearing in it a while back with one supplied by Noel. The existing needle bearing was thoroughly cleaned and re greased.

The help available on this Forum was invaluable in stepping me through the job and by way of thanks I would like to offer up my experience to anyone else considering doing it for the first time.

Firstly, I managed to fit the new bearing by freezing it overnight and heating the hub to 140C, it dropped in, no need for a press.

I don't have a suspension point in my garage ceiling so I supported the bike on two axle stands under the foot peg brackets, small pieces of rubber for protection.

I couldn't budge my wheel nut with a 3/4 drive Makita rattle gun so soaked the nut overnight in WD40, it came off first attempt the following day.

One major issue I had during disassembly was that the axle had seized in the hub, or more accurately, the bearing inner races. I was initially reluctant to flog the crap out of it on the off chance that I had missed a detail somewhere however after checking and double checking I found the answer by searching the Forum. Luckily I had a substantial piece of aluminium that fitted nicely over the end of the spindle to which I applied much brute force with my largest hammer. Eventually it came free.

After cleaning everything up reassembly was relatively straightforward.

I think I caught this just in time, the pictures tell the story pretty well.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 02:51 AM

Hi Sundodger,

What year and how many kilometers or miles has your bike covered to have a bearing in that condition ?

Thanks
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 06:37 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
@Sundodger: Nice catch. It is amazing how much rust can accumulate.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

The bike was manufactured in 04-2007 but from the paperwork that came with the bike it wasn't delivered to the first owner until 22/11/2011. The mileage now is around 18,000 ish from memory.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 05:25 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

Totally damaged by water, bet the sprocket nut wasn't tightened correctly

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Well I didn't do a break out torque test when I pulled it apart but it took my 3/4 drive rattle gun to loosen it and when I torqued it back up it came back to where I marked it prior to disassembly, safety pin is in exactly the same spot as before.

Being the third owner its impossible to know if the bike has been subjected to a pressure washer in its time. Just over a year ago the swing arm assembly was 'decontaminated' by the dealer who installed a leaking 'sealed' battery, how they did this without taking the bike apart is anyones guess. The corrosion on the axle, whilst not pretty, wasn't deep and cleaned up very easily.

I'll just put it down as one of life's great mysteries and start the next Winter project, replacing the plastic fuel pump fittings, hoses and filter. Hopefully no surprises there.....
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 08:41 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

Sundodger;
Please torque the pinch bolts to 15lbft/20Nm and no more

Use Never Seize or Coppa-Slip on the wheel and axle nut threads

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Last edited by theknurl; 09-10-2017 at 07:05 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

All of the good advice on the Forum noted and followed thanks Noel. Before starting the job I did a lot of reading here and followed the service manual. The only thread(s) I must have missed relevant to the hub swap was corrosion stopping the axle from being withdrawn by hand but a quick brew break and some more research put my mind at ease before I resorted to a bit of brute force.

As shitty as everything looked when I pulled the hub apart, and the fact that it was as dry as a Nun's nasty, surprisingly there was no evidence of any play in the wheel prior to me starting the job and the hub didn't run hot. It was just something I wanted to do for peace of mind.

A different set up I realise however I've had final drive bearings fail on two Beemers I've owned, an 1150GS which went just past the 100,000 km mark and a 1200GS Adventure that failed during the warranty period, less than 10,000kms! Naturally, once it's happened to you before, taking a couple of seconds before each ride to check the rim for play becomes almost second nature.
gotojoe and gotojoe like this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 01:19 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Good on you for checking and servicing the hub,you dodged a bullet there.
So many owners and dealers seem to forget about the old hub.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 06:54 PM

Oh god this brings memories of my bike.

Atom
Brutale Dragster RR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in