Brutale 750S rapid electrical clicking - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Brutale 750S rapid electrical clicking

I'm getting a rapid electrical clicking when I flip the ignition on. Here's a video of it happening -- key on, bike in neutral, side stand is up. It starts clicking/flickering the headlight as soon as I toggle the engine kill switch to "run." Clicking sounds like it is coming from the SPU, which I've never had a problem with before, but it is the old version. I'm also not hearing the fuel pump prime as it should.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...mQ2ZDJYUTJXQWc

I haven't had time to dig in and hunt yet, this came as a blow just as I thought I was getting everything back together and running. Hoping someone will have an idea right where I should start looking. The only thing I've done so far is verify all my fuses on the SPU are good

Recent work:
- brand new Shorai battery, has 13.3V. Drops to about 13.05V during this clicking
- have had the alternator and starter out/reinstalled
- new fuel sender unit
- upgraded the wiring harness for my Microtec, which added a MAP sensor, lambda sensor+wideband controller, speed sensor bridge connection
- also replaced 2 LED's on my dash control panel, but I don't imagine that would have any effect

Thanks for any insights, I've had limited time to get work done on the bike and I'm pretty weak at electrical

chris chandler
2004 Brutale S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 05:46 AM

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haupti View Post
Sigh. That's what my initial fear is, but I'm really hoping for someone to chime in with information that could point to something else, ideally cheaper and more immediate than waiting around on a part from Italy...

chris chandler
2004 Brutale S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 07:01 AM

Have you checked your Vin Number. That seems to be the definitive on whether you have the SPU that fails commonly.

I recall that the bad ones had a blue back and the newer a Black back ..but the definite is the Vin number.

It does sound like you have an SPU issue though !

I hope it isn't the SPU but it sounds like it.

Joe

Last edited by gotojoe; 08-21-2017 at 07:20 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

I cycled through disconnecting all the components that had come in contact with any of my recent work (dash, fuel pump/fuel sender, headlight, speed and side stand sensor connectors) unplugging them one at a time and turning the ignition on. When I unplug the fuel pump or remove the F15 15A fuse (injector-fuel pump-ignition coil), the problem stops.

How can I determine whether the issue is the SPU, or the fuel pump or fuel sender? I wasn't having any issue with my pump before, and the fuel sender is brand new, but I'd hate to spend $500+ on an SPU only to install it and find I'm having the same issues.

Any ideas how I could determine what's the culprit for sure?

chris chandler
2004 Brutale S
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 07:11 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
I am working off my phone, so I hope this comes through. You seem Davy enough to do a thorough check of the wiring. Grounds are particularly troublesome. Check the battery wiring again at the diagrams and pictures in the manual. There are a number of folks who have botched polarity and the number of wires per terminal when reinstalling batteries.

The fact that the noise goes away when the fuel pump circuit is disconnected strongly suggests the problem lies in that circuit. That doesn't mean SPU control is not suspect

Recheck your work. The old adage is that whatever you did last caused the new problem.

Good luck
C

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
I am working off my phone, so I hope this comes through. You seem Davy enough to do a thorough check of the wiring. Grounds are particularly troublesome. Check the battery wiring again at the diagrams and pictures in the manual. There are a number of folks who have botched polarity and the number of wires per terminal when reinstalling batteries.

The fact that the noise goes away when the fuel pump circuit is disconnected strongly suggests the problem lies in that circuit. That doesn't mean SPU control is not suspect

Recheck your work. The old adage is that whatever you did last caused the new problem.

Good luck
C
Thanks Chuck. I have a sale pending for a new version SPU--even if it isn't my problem right now, if the old one was crappy enough that MV redesigned it, that's a good reason to get it out of my bike that I plan to have for years to come.

Now my concern is how I can test the circuit and be sure everything is correct before connecting the new SPU? On a normal car or motorcycle, I'd just try it out and if I blew another relay, big deal, it's a few bucks and you put a new one in and chase the problem. But risking blowing a $500+ part that is not serviceable, or readily available ANYWHERE, has me concerned

Any suggestions for an electrical troubleshooting novice? (pretty good direction-follower, though!)

chris chandler
2004 Brutale S
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 05:12 PM
APU

You can borrow my SPU to test. Don't blow it up! The whole thing is a fuse panel. I think you'll be okay but what do I know. PM sent.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Got a new SPU from the forum! Got it installed! Aaaaaand.... still the same problem. But hey, now I have an updated SPU, and a spare old one.

There's something wrong with my Microtec. Which I'm thrilled about, because X-bikes has tremendously responsive customer service (no, no they don't. They're f'ing awful.)

I swapped in my stock ECU, and voila, the fuel pump primed just like it should. Now I have to figure out what to do. My bike has an MWR filter, de-cat, and 910R "track only" cans. My fuel map still needed work, which was an ongoing project with the Microtec, but I have no idea how poorly things will run if I swap the stock ECU back in. I didn't have time to get the tank all back on and reconnected tonight

sigh.

chris chandler
2004 Brutale S
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 06:24 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Well, at least the bike should run with the old ECU back in. Which ECU is the old one...I assume it's a 1.6M for which Merc07 could hook you up with a sweet chip that should work just fine.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode